What's new

Gap between the blade and the comb

Is there an already estblished way of measuring correclty the distance between the blade and the comb ?

For the moment I realised my everyday shaver has almost no gap and I have an SR open comb (needing some ID) which is very (too much) agressive on the face.

I also have an Gillette Slim adjustable, and never found the correct setting for a comfy shave.

Alternately, are all OLD types with the same gap or it differs from year / manufacturer / whate ever model ?

This is my OLD SR (no ID though) with a large gap :

$SR ID.jpg

And here is my favorite shaver:

$Parisienne.jpg

You can clealy see the gap on the 1st one, and there is almost nothing on the 2nd

The bigger gap, the more the razor will behave like an SB razor... It is the teeth in the comb that makes an open comb razor so special and comfortable as the skin is kept at the right place effortless. A huge gap will be like the slot in an SB razor (where the skin could bulge up and get bitten).

Tnx engblom.

But now comes my 2nd question :laugh:

Are all OLD types with the same gap ?
Obviousely the only other OLD type i have is the Milady, designed for women so I assume it was made on purpose not to be too agressive............what about the others ?

Ok, so according to what you say, the OLD type has a small gap, but my SR has a huge gap....rendering the shaving quite agressive.
So if I can find an other OLD type it should look and feel more like the other one.......

Have you tried a Merkur Open Comb razor? I think it might be close to the Gillette Old regarding blade gap and geometry. I get a nice shave from mine.

I was staring at those stainless steel ATT open combs, and wondering what gap qualifies for "mild".....
But if I can lay my hands on an OLD style head I might give it a try.

NB: A colleague, in italy, told me a DE it Italy's standard army shaver......he's trying to get one for me.

Top Bottom