What's new

Wet shaving down under

Hi all,

I'm a noob wet shaver from Australia and have been lurking on these forums for quite sometime. I've been wet shaving for about 2-3 months. Prior to that I had been using electric shavers or cartridge razors with can cream/foam. I never much enjoyed shaving and would usually only shave once or twice a week at most.
However since I've started with double edge razors and a variety of creams and soaps I have found a daily shave most pleasurable and something I can always look forward to.

In the 3 months since I have started I have obtained several razors, brushes and soaps and creams and have even gotten my brother and another friend of mine into wet shaving. Much of my pre purchase research has come from this forum. I've yet to get into aftershaves but will get there eventually.

I know I have improved greatly in my shaving by making all the mistakes; thin lathers, razor burn, brush burn a few nicks and cuts but also feel like I have plateaued. I can get a BBS shave everywhere but never on my neck.

Anyway I thought it was about time I posted on here.

Glad to have you. Also, good to hear that you're enjoying it and are getting better! As you know, there's plenty of knowledge floating around in the B&B crowd, so ask away!

Welcome aboard. Shaving skill is like any other learned skill. You can make great progress in the begining. There is so much to learn. After you have acquired most of the technique, improvement generally comes in smaller increments, but it does come.

Stay with it now that you have the basics under control. The rest will follow in due course.

Glad to have you with us.

David

Thanks guys. I was wondering if using a preshave oil or preshave product may help me with closer shaves to the neck? I find that in order to get anywhere close to a smooth shave on my neck i need to go over that area several times and i would usually have razor burn by the end of it.

Thanks guys. I was wondering if using a preshave oil or preshave product may help me with closer shaves to the neck? I find that in order to get anywhere close to a smooth shave on my neck i need to go over that area several times and i would usually have razor burn by the end of it.

I am most of the times using preshave oil. This might be a YMMV, but I get less close shave with preshave oil if I keep the same number of passes. On the other hand, it protects the skin greatly, so I could add one pass more. I suspect it alters to some degree how the razor is gliding and with that how the skin is tightening and the tightness of the skin affects the closeness.

Thanks engblom, I will give preshave oil a try, just for the added protection and see how I go.

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are making steady progress. Keep at it, it just gets better and better.

Good to see more and more people from down under here. Geez you would have to be pretty game to shave down under with A DE or straight razor oooouuuuccchhhh

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
I have an update as I've just had the best shave of my life. I decided to go back to my muhle r101 with a feather blade and managed to get BBS even on my neck. I found the trick was to make a double chin whilst shaving across my neck. I saw some fellow on YouTube doing just that.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
I have an update as I've just had the best shave of my life. I decided to go back to my muhle r101 with a feather blade and managed to get BBS even on my neck. I found the trick was to make a double chin whilst shaving across my neck. I saw some fellow on YouTube doing just that.
This I many times do... It is something an open comb razor is able to handle :)

Top Bottom