What's new

The Movie You'll Toss The Remote To Watch

You're lounging on the couch, flipping through the channels, and you favourite movie pops up, with about five minutes left (I'm looking at you, TCM). You put the remote down and watch it even though it's almost done.
Uncle Buck -- God, I miss John Candy, and this is one of his best.
A Bridge Too Far -- The wifely unit has had to suffer through me coming across this movie on tv, midway through, and reciting every piece of dialogue for the rest of the show.
Great Escape/Magnificent Seven -- If I've missed Ives dying on the fence (poor wee lad), or the plane crash with the Scrounger and the Forger in Escape, or any of Eli Wallach's scenes in Seven...I'm annoyed.

What flick will you toss the remote aside to watch, regardless of where in the film you tune in?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Rio Bravo.

... or pretty much any John Wayne movie, really.

A Bridge Too Far -- The wifely unit has had to suffer through me coming across this movie on tv, midway through, and reciting every piece of dialogue for the rest of the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawshank Redemption
Gone With the Wind
Platoon
Braveheart
Scarface
Wall Street
Godfather, and II
Schindler's List
probably 100 others....

The 13th Warrior
The Warriors
The Ghost and the Darkness
The Wild Bunch
The Longest Day
Any James Bond movie
The Road Warrior
Conan the Barbarian
Excalibur
many many more...

The Godfather
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Pulp Fiction
Apocalypse Now
Groundhog Day
The Shawshank Redemption
North by Northwest

I've lost track of how many times I've seen these, but even if I come upon them midway through the movie, I'll watch again when I come across them.

The Quiet Man - a beautiful woman, a great leading man, plenty of whiskey and beer, and a fight scene by some of the greatest character actors who ever lived. Best five minute your will have watching the tube. In fact if you don't already own it you will before long.

Godfather. Especially since the baptism scene is so compelling and full of dichotomy.

Someone else said Shawshank Redemption and I'd +1 that!

Ocean's Eleven, the Clooney version. I love their heist recap at the end when they show how it all worked out.

The Quiet Man - a beautiful woman, a great leading man, plenty of whiskey and beer, and a fight scene by some of the greatest character actors who ever lived. Best five minute your will have watching the tube. In fact if you don't already own it you will before long.

^This.

Tis' my wife's favorite too.

Frank

The Valet - French comedy that always puts a smile on my face because I know a lot of parking valets
Sexy Beast - Speedos and Ben Kingsley, odd combo but works
44 inch chest - sequel to Sexy Beast (get your mind out of the gutter if you never seen these two movies)
Diamond Men - you will know the scene that makes this a classic
Usual Suspects - Kevin Spacey in his finest role
Big Lebrowski - need I say any more.

Last edited:
Dazed and Confused. I don't know why. There are movies that I like way more, but I can't shut Dazed and Confused off. It's got to be either the cars or the music.

I have favorite movies, but none of them could so unman me as to put away the WAND OF POWER. First of all, one never tosses the WAND OF POWER. Though an artifact of great energy, it can be damaged or its batteries can pop out and roll under the COUCH OF INFINITE REGRESSION where they'll never be found again. It must always be laid down gently on a secure surface.

As for laying down the WAND OF POWER when a favorite movie is found, that simply never happens in my house and for many reasons. It is needed at the ready to pause the greatest entertainments because of unsolicited interruptions from the TEENAGER WHO PLAYS GUITAR AT 11 (TWPGA11) or the WIFE WHO NEEDS TO KNOW SOMETHING NOW (WWNTKSN). The possibility of missing Joe Pesci asking Ray Liotta "Do I amuse you?" or not getting to watch John Wayne tell Maureen O'Hara (mmmm, Maureen O'Hara) that there'll be no locked doors in this house is too terrible to consider. Never mind missing any random scene from Casablanca.

Secondly, leaving the WAND OF POWER lying unattended invites catastrophe. Interlopers with no business whatsoever and no experience controlling the infinite energy of the WAND stroll by and pick it up while one's not looking and announce dangerous plans like "Let's see what else is on" or suggest that one "record the rest of this movie and let's watch something we both enjoy." Steady on, my friends. This sounds like a plot from a horror movie, but I assure it's a recounting of actual events and horrible though they may be to ponder, consider them we must. Control must be maintained at all times of the WAND OF POWER.

So while the question is an interesting one, it remains, at least in my house, an impossible one.

Life of Brian
This is Spinal Tap and Best in Show
Conan the Barbarian/Destroyer
Blade Runner
Highlander
The Princess Bride
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen
Where Eagles Dare
The Day of The Doctor (movie length TV episode :tongue_sm)

Man there are some great ones listed. Here is one of my favorites. Unforgiven. The last bar scene where he shoots everybody in the room is a classic.

$Unforgiven.jpg

Top Bottom