What's new

Does beard thickness effect your shave?

Hey all:

Just curious if any have found their shaves to be any different with 1, 2, or 3 days of growth. If so, how/why?

I get a better shave at 1.5-2 days than I do at 1. I'm not sure about the physics of this, but I'm guessing it has to do with the longer hair being less stiff.

Actually, my best shaves happen at about 3 days growth after a DFS. My whiskers are just long enough at that point to hydrate extremely well, and the shave ends up effortless, smooth, comfortable, and very satisfying. Usually, a DFS will last me for two days, so one day's growth is fairly painful if I try for DFS again. 2 days growth is fairly good, but 1.5 is pushing it. If I get too much past 3 days I have to knock it down with electric clippers, but shave is every bit as good as 3 days growth. Though, if you don't prep. properly for your shave this may not work for you.

I find my Saturday shaves are a tad better due to not shaving on Fridays. I say better in that it will last a couple hours longer. I think maybe the longer hair might get tugged a bit harder thus getting cut deeper? Just a guess based on things learned here.

I find that I get better shave when I have several days growth. I normally skip one day each week. The following day I shave and enjoy it. I also have a light beard as well so when I shave daily there isn't much whisker to remove. I don't have to shave every day but I prefer to shave most days.

I believe that your skin/whiskers will acclimate to shaving as often as you must, unless you have an extreme type of skin, with respect to sensitivity, irritability, texture, etc. Some of us have to shave everyday to look acceptable in our daily lives. With good technique and proper skin care, I would think that any shave routine (within reason) would end up feeling about the same.

just bucked up and did my first slant shave on face and head with a feather blade. one weeper at the end on top of forehead. damn almost was done. had one extra days growth and it does seem better. I find I cant shave with any noise. feel like Helen Keller at times. best shave I have ever had.

Top Bottom