What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89 clone?

They're okay ... the castings can be a bit off giving uneven blade exposure, but on the whole (and for the price) they're okay.

Looks like an EJ DE...... The numbers differentiate the handle types. I think I have seen the EJ version of this called the 86 or 87. The only real question about this razor are the tolerances........looks good, but how will it shave? Time will tell I guess!

I guess no big loss if it doesn't. Spare handles are useful :)

Anything that's an unknown quantity will get a visual scrutiny before it goes near my chops.

Personally, I just go along with uneven blade exposure. I have a couple of cheaper razors which do this and so I go with the more exposed side for my first pass and the milder, less exposed side for the second (and subsequent). I find that works out very nicely with razors which exhibit that kind of fault - spin a fault around and you have a feature!

That does appear to be a generic EJ type razor with a "faux" pearl handle. It looks very nice but the uneven blade exposure does concern me to some degree. For the price it still appears to be an adequate DE safety razor.

Well it arrived, it looks okay alignment wise. It was not packaged well, so the ivory style paint got chipped in one place :/

The end of the handle is a bit rough, but it does seem like it will shave okay. I will find out later.

Good, good! Fingers crossed ...

If the head is all good, you can drop it onto a nicer handle or get one custom made.

I buy loads of stuff from Ebay and have had very few problems. Where there have been issues they've been dealt with, refunds etc given. Ebay is used by many small businesses as a way of getting business, much like Amazon marketplace.

Where I've bought things from forums and communities the sales have been good too.

Just shaved with it, new 7 o clock yellow blade in it. Shaves real smooth just like an Edwin Jagger.

Although if the quality is variable it's probably not one to recommend to people.

I think I've found my "travel razor" though :)

Last edited:
Well, that's a result.

As you can see, my impression of these (from that seller and another) was that the castings could be a bit rough, which can translate as poor blade alignment, but if yours worked out well then you've got a good one. My EJ style head was well off, but I also got a Merkur style head which has a larger blade gap (which suits me much better) and perfect blade alignment. I can pop the EJ plate on that, or onto my Merkur 23C. Side by side against my Muhle R89 JET, it's a good casting.

Sometimes you get lucky, if not my message was to live with the oddity and find a way to use it to your advantage. I have a number of Eastern Bloc razors which have terrible blade alignment, but with one side much more exposed, it makes a great shave flipping around for the second and subsequent.

Yeah, good travel razor; certainly not one to be too bothered about losing, dropping or otherwise damaging.

Good score, mate!

Some pictures of the item in question. The last one shows the rather rough lip on the end. Nothing a file or dremel won't fix.
$IMAG0026.jpg$IMAG0027.jpg$IMAG0030.jpg$IMAG0031.jpg

Top Bottom