What's new

TOBS Jermyn Street Review:

Well as most of you know, I bought some TOBS Jermyn Street shave cream from shavenation.com and I bought the pre-shave gel from westcoastshaving.com because shavenation didn't have it. I give this pre-shave gel and cream combination 5 out of 5 stars. So lets' start with the pre-shave gel first:

^ The scent is awesome. It resembles a cologne that used to be made here in the U.S. back in the mid to late 1990's called "Boss Elements" only it doesn't have the woody undertones that the cologne had which I use to love. It's a nice masculine type of a scent that the ladies seem to love. The slickness and cushioning ability that the pre-shave has is beyond belief. Now if you're using Proraso's creams or soaps then it will hold up better than most but not as good as it normally does due to Proraso's thirst properties. You're better off using Proraso's pre-shave stuff with Proraso's creams and soaps IMO which I think they done on purpose myself. The ingredients list was a little hard to photograph, but I managed to get a couple of photos. Here's the first one:

The second photo was taken without a flash so I could capture the pre-shave gel's ingredients list sorry it wasn't to clear:

The amount you need to use before shaving is a drop that's about the size of your thumbnail. The price point isn't to good on the pre-shave gel. I paid $21.99 dollars for it at Westcoast Shaving and got a 1.75 ounce tube which gives it a price point of $12.57 per ounce for the pre-shave gel. That's a little bit on the extreme side, but you don't need alot which is a good thing. I just wish you got a little bit more product for the price. Now onto the cream. The same great scent that I mentioned earlier only without the woody undertones:

The slickness was really good, but not quite as good as the All natural formula is. The cushioning ability was excellent. I had more than enough protection through out the entire shave. Combined with a Gillette Silver Blue DE blade, it seems very hard to cut yourself even with a Merkur 37C Slantbar. Here's the ingredient list on the back of the container which was alot easier to photograph than the gel was because of the white label with black ink:

This cream is indeed a lather monster so be carefull on how much cream you use. At first I thought I didn't use enough cream because it does take a slightly bit more effort to build a good lather compared to the all natural formual. Here's what it looks like when I first opened it:

^ It has a medium level of softness to it. You can stand your brush up in it, but it will not stand on its own for very long. Here's how much cream I used:

^ Like I said earlier, it's a lather monster. At first I thought I didn't use enough cream so I added a another dolop of cream and worked it a little bit more and got this:

The lather does slowly disipate a bit but that can be fixed by working the cream in between passes. In fact the more you work it, the better it gets. This was after the 2nd pass:

The lather does have some staying power to it if you work it between passes. This was taken after a 4 pass shave with a Merkur 37C slant bar:

^ The post shave felt really good. It was nice and smooth and had a small amount of slickness to it, but it also had that clean and fresh feeling to it as well and the scent is really good. The cream did not leave any residue on my shaving equipment which gives it a clean rinsing characteristic to it:

^ All in all, I would definately recomend and buy this shave cream again. Here's my shave of the day photo that I used over on facebook. I threw in some lather for you guys,L.O.L:

The next shave will be better because this was my 5th shave with this blade and it was extremely dull so the next shave will be with a brand new Gillette Silver Blue DE blade. I've got one more soap review left and that's the Proraso white and then I'll pretty much do a general review on Proraso in general because I've done tried all of their soaps and creams in general. I don't want to try Proraso's styptic gel or aftershaves because I pretty much know what I'll get out of them in terms of use and I already have a really good idea as to what works for me in that category.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the only Taylor cream that I don't like & it gets rave reviews. Mr Taylor, St James, Eaton college all are much better scent wise & performance.

I like it and it did perform really well, but it's not on the same level as this stuff is in terms of performance:

^ I have yet to see another TOBS perform better than this stuff did. While it practically had no scent to it, the shave itself was at least 3 times slicker while the cushioning ability was just a shade better than the Jermyn Street forumla is. Not to worry because I am going to try some of their other creams. But I do have to be careful because I do have sensitive skin. But so far if given a choice as to which TOBS cream I'll buy first, then the All Natural will always come out on top. If I could give it a performace rating, the all natural cream gets 6 out of 5 stars​. The scent can be changed when you use your favorite aftershaves with this stuff while you're pretty much stuck with the Jermyn Street's scents. I just thought I'd do one of my "in depth" reviews so others can know about it.

Last edited:
Not to worry, other TOBS creams are next on my list to review. The coconut, sandal wood, Eaton college are next on the list but not nessicarliy in that order. It will be a while before I do another review after I do one on Proraso's white formula and post a "general review" of that company's products. I need to get rid of some creams first. I ought to do a "Franken Lather"​ just see what I can come up with.

^ I have yet to see another TOBS perform better than this stuff did. While it practically had no scent to it, the shave itself was at least 3 times slicker while the cushioning ability was just a shade better than the Jermyn Street forumla is. Not to worry because I am going to try some of their other creams. But I do have to be careful because I do have sensitive skin. But so far if given a choice as to which TOBS cream I'll buy first, then the All Natural will always come out on top. If I could give it a performace rating, the all natural cream gets 6 out of 5 stars​. The scent can be changed when you use your favorite aftershaves with this stuff while you're pretty much stuck with the Jermyn Street's scents. I just thought I'd do one of my "in depth" reviews so others can know about it.

I noticed that you called the Jermyn Street a "lather monster", but I also noticed that your bowl looked to be full of airy foam. Not very thick, yogurt-like stuff that it is capable of, but light, airy, foam. When you say that the Natural is "three times slicker" than Jermyn Street, it may be because you haven't dialed in the ratios the same way you did with the Natural. Whenever I use Jermyn Street it basically looks like an expanded version of the concentrated cream that's in the tub (if that makes sense); its very thick, smooth, and has no bubbles in it. I would say to work on the lather some, until it no longer looks airy and bubbly. Once you get it to that thick, creamy consistency, you notice a remarkable improvement in slickness and cushion. Hope this helps!

Great review. Your lather is a bit to thin for me, I use a lot more cream than you do and it's amazingly slick and has a nice and thick cushion. One of my favourite creams.

I noticed that you called the Jermyn Street a "lather monster", but I also noticed that your bowl looked to be full of airy foam. Not very thick, yogurt-like stuff that it is capable of, but light, airy, foam. When you say that the Natural is "three times slicker" than Jermyn Street, it may be because you haven't dialed in the ratios the same way you did with the Natural. Whenever I use Jermyn Street it basically looks like an expanded version of the concentrated cream that's in the tub (if that makes sense); its very thick, smooth, and has no bubbles in it. I would say to work on the lather some, until it no longer looks airy and bubbly. Once you get it to that thick, creamy consistency, you notice a remarkable improvement in slickness and cushion. Hope this helps!

+1 your lather does seem a little too airy and foamy! Jermyn street is one of my favorite creams.

Come to think about it, your lather dissipating and no residue after the shave is probably down to how much cream you have used.

First use today of TOBS Jermyn St. Superb all round. Scent, performance, ease of lather - great shave. I also have the Grapefruit and it is equally good.

You can't go wrong with any TOBS cream (imho)! Jermyn Street is one of my favorite scents.

I do likem the scent of the Jermyn Street formula.

I did have it like that and I did use more cream than what's in the first photo. The lather disipates. I did have it looking like yogurt at one point.

Great review. Your lather is a bit to thin for me, I use a lot more cream than you do and it's amazingly slick and has a nice and thick cushion. One of my favourite creams.

It disipates alot between passes and I did use more cream than what's in the first photo.

+1 your lather does seem a little too airy and foamy! Jermyn street is one of my favorite creams.

It's an alright cream. The lather disipated alot between photos. I did add more cream than I did with the all natural formula.

Come to think about it, your lather dissipating and no residue after the shave is probably down to how much cream you have used.

No it's mentioned in the reviews about the lather disipating over at westcoast actually.

First use today of TOBS Jermyn St. Superb all round. Scent, performance, ease of lather - great shave. I also have the Grapefruit and it is equally good.

I'm not to fond of grapefruit. But I really want to try the coconut though.

Ok guys, I'll try adding more cream this next go around to see what happens. My lather is normally like yogurt compared these photos that I took. It might be one of the ingredients in it that changes the consistency. The all natural formula has no fragrences in it while the Jermyn Street formula does. This might require me to use a little bit more product.

TOBS Jermyn Street is an outstanding creme for those with sensitive skin. It's one of my favorite TOBS scents. The aftershave lotion is cool and soothing to the skin. :thumbup:

Great review. I also got this cream recently and the lather and the scent are great. I'm thinking about getting the pre shave later

Great review. I also got this cream recently and the lather and the scent are great. I'm thinking about getting the pre shave later

You'll love the pre-shave gel, it's awesome. The only problem with the pre-shave gel, is its price point which is alot higher than the cream is.

TOBS Jermyn Street is an outstanding creme for those with sensitive skin. It's one of my favorite TOBS scents. The aftershave lotion is cool and soothing to the skin. :thumbup:

Thanks for the tip about the aftershave lotion. I've been looking at some aftershave products here lately and was wondering about that.

Good, concise review. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. I'll post up some new lather photos of this cream for you guys later on after I use a little bit more cream.

Top Bottom