What's new

Westbrook gose beer

This looks interesting. This seems like it would hit the spot on a really hot day.

$westbrook-gose.jpg

What is old is new again in craft brewing circles, as brewers dig up recipes from brewing's storied past. One of the latest — and greatest — in this line is Westbrook Gose, a German-style wheat beer brewed with coriander and sea salt. The result is pure summer refreshment in a can as the Gose is both sour and a bit salty, providing a tart sipper that clocks in at just 4% ABV. Leave it to the brewers at Westbrook in South Carolina to bring a historic German recipe back from the dead.($12)

http://westbrookbrewing.com/beer/rotating/gose/
http://uncrate.com/stuff/westbrook-gose-beer/

This is a really great beer. Westbrook is a small brewery from my home town of Charleston SC.

I've only had it on tap. Not sure about the salty part, but it is a nice tart session beer.

Cool! I'll have to add this to the list. I like wheat beers so I'll have to keep an eye out for it the next time I need to stock up. Don't think I've ever tried anything from Westbrook.

Last edited:
Its nothing like a wheat beer. This beer falls into the "sour beer" style. Its much like a Berlinerweiss or Gueuze. Tart, acidic (lactic) and very refreshing.

Gose isn't a recognized BJCP style that I know of, but here is the style description for Berlinerweiss. Gose is going to be very much like this description, except that its probably a little stronger in every way. Berlinerweiss should really be only 4% ABV on the high side. Gose tends to be 4-5%, and obviously incorporates some other spices like coriander. Both beers exhibit no hop character.

I'm honestly not sure how far Westbrook distributes. I kind of assumed they were still regional.

Steel String, a local craft brewer here in NC, has a nice gose on tap this summer. The coriander is subdued and I think they toned down the sea salt, which apparently is part of the character of the local water where the style developed in Germany. It was one of the cleanest tasting (and smelling) sour beers that I've had and the ABV is low enough that you can have a couple on a hot afternoon.

Top Bottom