What's new

Another newbie

Hello All,

New guy here. I've been using a DE for about 2 months now and lurking around the forum for about the same amount of time. I'm still trying to dial-in a razor/blade combo the works for me; I haven't found it yet, but I'll get there eventually. Just curious how long it took some of you folks to feel like you were getting the hang of shaving with the DE? I still get irritation most of the time and have yet to have a BBS. I think my pre-shave routine is pretty good, but my angle/pressure probably still needs some work. It takes me about 3 passes with quite a bit of touch up to get what I feel is a good close shave.

John

John,
Welcome to the group, name's Russell. I've been wet shaving with a DE since January and a Straight since yesterday. I have gotten two maybe three "BBS" shaves. My advice is take your time and enjoy the ride. As for when I felt comfortable, I'd say after about 20 shaves I wasn't thinking about it too much anymore. Mind if I ask your routine/set-up

Hey John,

I just started a few days ago and already know it'll take a while to get that perfect combo locked in. Even then, I'll still probably experiment with different setups. We'll get there eventually! Haha.

Welcome! Don't worry too much about getting a BBS shave for a while, just enjoy experimenting with blades and creams/soaps until you find a few magic combinations that suits your face and get lots of practice. A few tips that helped me was to shave in silence so you can hear the blade and how it is responding to different angles, make sure your lather is spot on so you get good lubrication and protection, and finally invest in sampler packs so you don't waste a lot of product you end up not liking. Even when you just get a socially acceptable shave, as long as its enjoyable is all that really matters.

Welcome to B&B!!

It took me about 6 months to get into automatic mode. I don't know if that's fast or slow, but I think it's different for everyone. Keep at it and, if you find you've hit a speed bump, don't hesitate to ask questions, we're here to help.

Happy Shaving!!

Hello and welcome to B&B, John. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Hello All,

New guy here. I've been using a DE for about 2 months now and lurking around the forum for about the same amount of time. I'm still trying to dial-in a razor/blade combo the works for me; I haven't found it yet, but I'll get there eventually. Just curious how long it took some of you folks to feel like you were getting the hang of shaving with the DE? I still get irritation most of the time and have yet to have a BBS. I think my pre-shave routine is pretty good, but my angle/pressure probably still needs some work. It takes me about 3 passes with quite a bit of touch up to get what I feel is a good close shave.

John

John, it took me four months to get it together. What is your shave brush and razor setup?

Top Bottom