What's new

Use what you have!

strop

Now half as wise
We have been enjoying lots of fresh vegetables this, having signed up for a weekly produce delivery program. Last week's delivery included purple okra, baby brussels sprouts, and ground cherries.

Last night was the okra and brussels sprouts, sauted with a little olive oil, some yellow bell pepper and smoked sausage, tossed with some olive oil, fettucini,and parmesan. Quick simple and delicious.
$uploadfromtaptalk1406675331672.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
It comes from a local grower. It has been so successful they have a waiting list!

No recipe. Just used what I had on hand.

We have been enjoying lots of fresh vegetables this, having signed up for a weekly produce delivery program. Last week's delivery included purple okra, baby brussels sprouts, and ground cherries.

Last night was the okra and brussels sprouts, sauted with a little olive oil, some yellow bell pepper and smoked sausage, tossed with some olive oil, fettucini,and parmesan. Quick simple and delicious.
View attachment 478049

How did you prep your okra, Mark?

strop

Now half as wise
How did you prep your okra, Mark?

I simply sliced it crosswise into 1/4 in pieces and sauted them in a pan with some olive oil until they strarted to get tender. I did the sprouts, and bell pepper the same, separately, then put them all together to finish.

My wife has never been a fan of okra, but she liked this. None of them were more than a half inch in diameter, though, and I think that is the key to okra. Seem to have a bit milder flavor when they are small.

Looks good!
One thing I'm surprised at is how few people use beet tops/greens.
People buy the beets, then throw away the tops.
They are just as good as Swiss Chard or Spinach. Maybe better!

I simply sliced it crosswise into 1/4 in pieces and sauted them in a pan with some olive oil until they strarted to get tender. I did the sprouts, and bell pepper the same, separately, then put them all together to finish.

My wife has never been a fan of okra, but she liked this. None of them were more than a half inch in diameter, though, and I think that is the key to okra. Seem to have a bit milder flavor when they are small.

Excellent. I always worry a bit about the sliminess issue, and I didn't see them breaded or treated in any other way in your pic.

I found the Good Eggs service because of your previous post regarding local produce delivery! NOLA is one of only 3 cities in which it operates. It makes meal planning so much easier!

strop

Now half as wise
Bob, there was absolutely no sliminess at all. Clearly that is what turns most people off from okra. My grandmother claimed that was because people let it get too big before harvesting it, and the smaller ones don't get slimy. She also just stewed them with tomatoes, but back then all vegetables were cooked until they were mush.

strop

Now half as wise
We ended up making Tomatillo and black bean soup. Really came out nicely.
$uploadfromtaptalk1407717202451.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
Last edited:
Dude, you're killing me. It's still two hours until lunch time, and I'm gonna have that pasta dish with sausage and okra running through my mind. Thanks for ruining productivity! :lol:

Top Bottom