What's new

My Take on 8 Pinaud Clubman Scents

As some of you will know a while ago I asked which Pinaud scent I should try (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/412229-If-I-were-to-try-one-Pinaud-Clubman). The resounding winner was Pinaud Clubman Classic. Well, my sampler from Garry's Sample Shop arrived today and I've got all eight Pinaud scents here to try. I plan to review each of them and leave my impressions on them as I work my way through the pack. Feel free to leave your comments below!

Lilac Vegetal - Naturally I had to try the VEG first, it's not just a fragrance, but supposedly a life altering experience :laugh:. I've just slathered some on, and it smells exactly like lilacs. I spent a couple summers working in a greenhouse in my early university days and this reminds me exactly of that, only with a sort of pungent musky undertone. I wasn't repulsed by the scent of it in the bottle, nor was I repulsed by it on me. That being said, I'm not in love with it either. It smells like what I would expect a 90 year old woman to. I'm still in the famous dry down period, so we'll see if things improve when I check in later.

It's dried down and my thought on it is that's it's nice. Not intoxicating or something I would want to keep smelling forever, but it's nice. Ironically I've found it to be a very mild scent. I could see myself wearing this in the future, but not as a main go to scent.

Vanilla - The Vanilla smelled the best out of the bottle, so I tried it next. A very delicate, delicious smell. There is a trace of vanilla here, but I smell other things as well, like jasmine. It's the most modern smelling of the group, and smells like it could be a mid range fragrance as opposed to a cheap one. It still has a little bit of old flair to it. I really like this one, and can see it being part of my rotation. I found it dissipated within a couple hours though, which is unfortunate since I'd like to use it as a fragrance.

Original - The first smell out of the bottle smelled a lot like a very old lady's perfume, like some of those really old Chanel blends. This made me question all the talk of manliness the Original has gotten on the forums, but the people voted and I wasn't about to let them down. I slathered some on and apparently when applied in bulk to the face it changes, because it took on a very manly, excellent scent. The scent of the original is present in all of the Pinaud concoctions to my nose, and it's kind of nice to have that elusive "integral" part of the fragrance in full force proudly on display. From the bottle I thought this was going to be one of my least favourites, but while wearing I really enjoyed this one. It turns out democracy does work :laugh: This one had the most sillage of the three I've tried so far (strength of scent) but it seemed to wear off within an hour, which is a problem I seem to be having with all of the Pinaud fragrances. A lot of reviews have commented on how long they last, but I just don't seem to be getting that. Which is a shame, because I really liked this one.

Last edited:
ROCK THE VEG! I did the sample pack from Garrys too.
I wasn't a fan of the Vanilla, Musk or Citrus Musk or Bay Rum.
I love the Original, Veg, Lime Sec, and Special Reserve.

I really liked the scent of the vanilla while in the bottle, we'll see what I think of it once I actually try it.

You are a blessed soul! Good luck!

I look forward to more Veg in my future. Today I am rocking my four year old's favorite, the Citrus Musk I wish it lasted longer. Endurance is why I skipped the Lime Sec. My son also likes the Special Reserve, but the regular/original Clubman makes him cough when he puts it on, but he doesn't complain about it. I love sharing it with him, good times!

That sounds like some good father son time. I think I'll try the Special Reserve tomorrow. The hardest part is deciding which ones to try first :laugh:

I like the Classic, but (and I know this is heretical) I wish it would fade more. After about 4 hours, I'm pretty done with the smell.

I'm a huge fan of the original, SR, and musk. Kinda indifferent about the veg, lime sec and citrus musk. Glad to see you venturing into the world of Pinaud!

I'm a huge fan of the original, SR, and musk. Kinda indifferent about the veg, lime sec and citrus musk. Glad to see you venturing into the world of Pinaud!

I am still starting to try this lineup, but have used the lime sec for a few weeks now. I was completely caught off guard when a (very) conservative female coworker told me she didn't know what I was wearing at dinner(business trip), but I smelled really good. And that was before the wine was consumed by her. I like this one so I may stick with it for a while myself.

Nick

SWMBO approves of the Original but she's ambivalent about the Veg. I haven't sprung the rest of my collection on her yet.

Cheers for your reviews.

I had my first try of the Pinaud tonight. I went for the Original Clubman. I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. I can't stop smelling my hand!

Tomorrow I'm gonna try the Veg!

Alas, your observation about "sillage" is both well noted and lamented by me. Good luck on your continued quest!

A This one had the most sillage of the three I've tried so far (strength of scent) but it seemed to wear off within an hour, which is a problem I seem to be having with all of the Pinaud fragrances. A lot of reviews have commented on how long they last, but I just don't seem to be getting that. Which is a shame, because I really liked this one.

I've found that my own ability to smell the Pinaud line is reduced after having it on for a while. You still might be walking around in a cloud of Clubman and not know it!

Awaiting your take on the Special Reserve...

Excellent. I really enjoyed your review of these. Glad you are enjoying them. I just may have to try the vanilla myself, based on what you've said.

Funny that you don't think the Classic lasts very long. I applied some this morning and am still getting whiffs of it here and there 12 hours later. How much did you apply? (I really don't apply that much myself…)

I squirted four good sized squirts from the sample bottle and splashed it onto my face. Good sillage for the first couple hours, and then it disappeared. Maybe I'm just not picking it up, or maybe it reacts differently on my skin? I'm not sure what it is. I guess I'll have to have someone stand by me all day and tell me :lol:

The Vanilla is quite nice, and definitely worth trying. I'm looking forward to trying the Special Reserve, it smells great in the bottle!

I squirted four good sized squirts from the sample bottle and splashed it onto my face. Good sillage for the first couple hours, and then it disappeared. Maybe I'm just not picking it up, or maybe it reacts differently on my skin? I'm not sure what it is. I guess I'll have to have someone stand by me all day and tell me :lol:

The Vanilla is quite nice, and definitely worth trying. I'm looking forward to trying the Special Reserve, it smells great in the bottle!

A few hours is actually pretty long lasting to me. Typically i have to layer on an EdT or EdC to have a scent last all day. Keep in mind the scents are diluted in aftershaves......otherwise, how would they get you to buy the EdTs/EdCs?

Hey, guys...good posts here.

I've been collecting the Pinaud stuff for a few months now and have every splash except the Citrus Musk.

Clubman Original is something I feel every den should have.

The Clubman Musk is a sweeter version of the Original and I really enjoy it. The Musk has longer staying power being that it's considered a cologne.

The Lime Sec is awesome because it changes as the day goes on and is very sophisticated. Lime Sec also has endurance.

The Vanilla is great as well and kind of reminds me of the old Tommy Hilfiger cologne.

Special Reserve is "reserved" for "special" occasions, but when I first got it I couldn't stop reaching for it - it smells that good. Its scent is similar to Aramis, but so much better.

I definitely need to try the Citrus Musk after reading your review of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom