What's new

Which type of oil do you use to protect your straight razors?

You shave with a straight razor in the shower?

Frank

An older guy I know from work, shaves his face/head in the shower using just soap and his straight. He gets great shaves he says he's been doing it for years. I can only assume he doesn't have much left to shave.

Last edited:
Not topic related:

What razor is on the right forth from bottom.

Ali's blade kami converted to a folder

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410123437.334576.jpg

I never use any form of covering or oil my razors are dried the stropped and cleaned with some kitchen roll then stored in my air tight box with a silica gel pack I've kept them that way for years and have never had a single water mark or stain on any of my razors.

All oil is carbon based. i.e. Hydro carbon, whether it is mineral, animal, plant based, or synthetic. I don't think there is any worry about carbon based oils affecting steel, unless they have some corrosive additives.

Be careful with any carbon based oil...old chemist saying, "Like dissolves like"...carbon based oils will negatively affect the carbon base steel of your razors. A mineral base is what you want, and I hesitate to use it anywhere except on the pivot pin area.

Again, I prefer to store my blades in a silicone razor sock, they rock.

http://www.menessentials.ca/shaving...one-treated-cotton-straight-razor-sleeve.html

View attachment 493030

Be careful with any carbon based oil...

Turbine engine oil isn't made from something that comes out of the ground. It is pure Ester base stock. Synthetic. It is also non toxic. While it runs about $25 / quart delivered to my front door, it is still way cheaper than most specialty oils and as an added bonus, Ester is a natural detergent/dispersant.

Top Bottom