What's new

My 3,000th Post, 30 Month on B&B PIF

Greetings Fellow Shavers!

Today marks my 3,000th post and also my 30th month as a member here on Badger & Blade. I would like to celebrate by offering a simple PIF and encouraging some discussion that may be helpful to new wet-shavers and members. I've done PIFs for new members that need a start kit and some help getting started but this time I would like to do a PIF for the "intermediate" shaver. Nothing carved in stone but I'm looking for active members with some B&B history and healthy post count who have been DE wet-shaving for at least 6 months and are beyond the steep learning curve, their shave routine is dialed in and now looking to try some new blades and soaps.

The PIF will include:
- A 3 brand blade sampler with Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue and Personna Labs
- A tube of Coate's Superior Cream
- An undecided soap puck & tin
- And maybe an AS sample or something else that comes to mind while I'm shaving this week!

Here's the "rules"... Post "I am in" and then include something like a brief summary of your "new shaver" journey, lessons learned, what you gained from the B&B community and especially some advice to anyone just starting out. The PIF closes midnight on August 5 and I will select a winner thereafter. Good luck and enjoy your shaves!

Congrats on the 3000th post, Steve. I am NOT IN.

An advice ... do not attempt to achieve BBS shaves, they will eventually happen, and your skin will be grateful. Take it easy and enjoy the journey.

I'm in!

This is a great community of men with vast amounts of knowledge. Listen, learn and ask (clear concise) questions. What works for me may or may not work for the next but with shared experiences you can generally find an answer.

I am in. I would love to try out some new blades and some better products.

I started DE shaving both face and head (minus goatee) about 2 months ago, shortly after my birthday. I lurked here for a few weeks to research how to get started. I used some of my birthday cash to purchase my first kit. Feather Popular, Van Der Hagen soap, bowl, brush combo. My first shave was awesome, the next few good, but spent some more time browsing B&B to figure out how to get better. I added some Shave Secret to my prep routine and started working my way through a blade sampler. I finally took the plunge a few weeks later and bought a 37c slant, based on B&B recommendations for coarse hair and sensitive skin.

I learned how to enjoy shaving as a part of my daily routine, instead of it just being a chore. I also learned that you'll never know what works or doesn't work for you until you try it.

B&B is great for newbies. Sign up and don't be afraid to post questions. I'm 99% sure that someone else, at some time, has had the same questions as you, or similar experience, and can provide very helpful insights if you're not afraid to ask. Also, the members are pretty awesome with these PIF giveaways.

I would recommend that new DE shavers start with a mild, but good quality razor. Something along the lines of a Merkur 34c or EJ DE89. I started with a Popular, which isn't a bad razor, but given my experience, there is a high likelihood that you will be hooked and want a better razor soon anyway, so you might as well buy it up front. Also, buy some Astra SPs and stick with them for the first month. I've never seen anyone complain that they didn't like the Astras, and I think it's easier to see the improvement in your technique if you stick with the same setup for a while. There are some blades out there that might suit you better, so after that first month I would highly recommend some samplers.

I'm in and congrats on your milestone.
With the kids off to college/university I decided to get back into DE shaving, cuz I'll save money, right? It was over Christmas last year that I thought about buying a decent razor and for no apparent reason ordered a Merkur 180 Long Handle from Amazon. I still had a pack of old Wilkinson blades kicking around from when I had a black plastic Wilkinson razor from years earlier. The Merkur came in (I swear I ordered it because it was so cool looking), and promptly slapped a blade in. Worst. Shave. Ever. Bloody thing was useless. Undeterred, I went back to Amazon and ordered a Merkur HD Slant 37c, because it looked cool and the reviews said it gave a close shave. In the meantime I continued to use my crappy carts, all the while giving evil looks to that Merkur Long Handle that just sat there, mocking me. The slant comes in, and the shave, while challenging, was much better.
Somewhere along the way I stumbled upon this site and started reading and learning. One of the things I first read was some poor sap who wrote in about the lousy shave he was getting with his razor, how it wasn't cutting the hairs at all. Hmmm, sounds familiar. I continued down the thread. Essentially all the responses were "check your base plate...it might be upside down". One respondent also put up a handy photo of what the model in question should look like in its proper configuration.
Yup, after careful examination, my Merkur Long Handle had the base plate upside down.
So whenever I look at the NOOB's section, and see someone asking about the lousy performance of their new razor, I silently tell them to check their base plate. I silently say this because before I can respond in writing, someone already has and there's no sense in piling on. And that's one of the good things about B&B...we've all been "there", and in some cases have the scars to prove it. If you ask the right questions, you have no fear of being laughed at or being judged harshly...unless you're one of those Techmatic weirdos...really, there's no help for that bunch!

I'm in.

I consider myself to still be a "new" shaver, since I have only been DE shaving for a little over a month. I was in search of a shave that was closer than an electric razor, but one that helped lessen ingrown hairs. I've discovered a new "hobby", and shaving is now actually fun.

Some lessons learned: 1) use the awesome B&B resources, 2) my technique gets better with practice, 3) the size of bowl can make a difference on how easily you generate lather.

The B&B community has really helped in learning about techniques and products. I often found answers to my questions without actually need to post anything, because someone else had already asked. The biggest help has been learning about the best ways to improve my lather building technique.

For advice, I'm not sure how qualified I am to offer much. One thing that I would suggest is to take full advantage of samples. There are so many products out there, and you really don't know what will work best for you without trying a few. Don't feel like you have to spend a ton of money when you get started. A good vintage Gillette Tech (or other highly recommended B&B model), some forgiving blades (like Personna), a decent boar brush, and inexpensive shave soap/cream (VDH, Arko, Godrej) is all you really "need" to get started. There will be plenty of time to buy (and possibly later PIF) more stuff. New shavers should be patient with themselves and not expect to get BBS results on the first try. Remember to have fun!

I've only been at this a month, so not in. That said, it's been great getting the support and advice of my peers and elders on my DE journey!

I am in. To all new wet shavers...take your time and enjoy this. Your morning shave is YOUR time, treat it as such.

Last edited:
This is already becoming a good compendium of encouraging information and kudos for the community! Glad to have all you aboard!

I'm in. Thanks for the opportunity and congrats!

For new shavers. Take your time really try to not use any pressure at all. Once I got this, my shaves were amazing. I started de shaving using feathers since they are the local blade. And until I got the no pressure thing I'd always get a nick somewhere.

Grow out your hair a couple of days and map your growth, I spent years having razor burn beneeth my ears because I didn't know I was going against the grain on one side.

Stick with one razor, blade, soap and brush in the beginning. When you get good shaves with that stuff consistsntly, then start going nuts buying stuff. Of course if something isn't working for you, change it!

Don't aim for BBS. I never shave against the grain. I do three passes, with, across and across the opposite way. I get a really nice smooth shave everyday with no irritation.

Most of all.

ENJOY!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Congratulations, Steve! Not in, but I always enjoy your posts.:thumbup1: All the best. Mike
We WILL meet in person someday, we have some lies to swap!

Last edited:
I'm in!

My advice to the new guys just starting out:

Try as many blades as you possibly can before deciding on which one or ones to bulk purchase. Forget what others opinions are, try them and see if that particular brand works for YOU.

Until you learn what your doing, stick with one razor, regardless of which model/brand it is. Once you become proficient, then you can branch out a little.

If possible, when trying out a new blade, try and have at least a 2 day growth...in my experience, you will get better feedback.

As to what I've gained from B&B...lots and lots of excellent advice, and as of late, a fellow member fixed my screwed up Fatboy for free! This is the place to be for wet shavers.

Congratulations and thanks, I'm in.

I started wet shaving with a DE about two years ago, but it turned into a hobby half a year ago, after finding B&B. For 18 months I shaved with my one razor, one soap, one blade and one ASB. What have I learned? Oh, that's a lot, but I'll fokus on the major problem I solved after making a hobby out of it. Therefore:

My best advice to new shavers (exept for the regular - hydration, no pressure, go slow, beard mapping) would be this: Stick to one kind of blade (and the same equipment) for 1-2 months, focusing on technique, and then try a blade sampler.

I used Feather blades only for 1,5 years, and could not get my technique right. Well over 1 year into DE shaving, I could not do a single shave with less than two nicks/weepers, and quite a number of bumps on my neck. (Bit of a disappointment after doing my single first DE shave with no blood - but also without the closeness, just one WTG pass.) After switching to a blade that fits me better, it changed overnight. Being it my blade/skin combo, the blade/razor combo or whatever, I found other blades to be more fit.

Now, I don't say that Feather blades are bad. I tell you: Do not fear the Feather, respect the Feather! It's one of the sharpest blades out there, it may not be the right blade for everyone, and it can be hard for new wet shavers to learn the right technique with it. But what the heck, all razor blades are sharp, that's the whole deal with 'em, so try the blade and make up your own opinion. Also, sharp is not a bad thing, it could work better for you (depending on your beard, skin type, technique and the YMMV factor.)

Oh, and it would also help to try a soap sample pack, a cream sample, a new soap sample, three different shaving brushes, a couple new razors, two soap pucks, four tubes of shaving cream, three new soap samples, two razors, five soap pucks and four brushes. :laugh:

I'm in.
I like to read the other lessons from people. to work more on my technique and stop rushing.
After the first time i butchered my face i came here looking for help and found it.
my journey continues.
oh and face mapping seems to be a ongoing journey for me too. never saw that instruction anywhere else.

Congrats on the 300 post achievement, Steve! Nice, generous PIF but to say I'm in would be greedy on my part. So...Not in...Thanks

I'm in. My journey has been approaching 3 months now and it all started with a hand me down 66 Tech from my Father-In-Law. Quickly discovered that the right blade, prep, technique and razor used all combine into a magical alchemy to the face. RAD is also a wonderful disease! The site has been by far the most invaluable resource to me and I am quite sure many others. Lurked in the shadows before entry and was welcomed with open arms by all. THE BEST GROUP OF PEOPLE ARE ON B&B. 'Nuff said! (thank you, Stan Lee).

I just noticed my new handle under my user name! "Master of My Shave Domain"!!! I guess I am! Sounds like you fellas are too!

Top Bottom