What's new

Blade preservation and cleaning tips

Anyone have any tips for preserving and cleaning your blades?

I feel there's gotta be a better way besides rinsing the crud off of them after a shave.

I just rinse them and pat them dry with tissue. I have some used blades in my rotation that are 3 weeks old with zero rust or issues.

Post-shave: After thoroughly rinsing my razor, I give the head/blade a 10-second alcohol 'dip' to displace/dissipate water.

Post-shave: After thoroughly rinsing my razor, I give the head/blade a 10-second alcohol 'dip' to displace/dissipate water.

I do the same thing with the alcohol bath. I then dry the blade and the deconstructed razor off with a microfiber towel and leave them out in the open to dry.

I'm thinking about getting some kind of canister and putting some alcohol in it and just leaving the razor and blade soaking in it. That should displace any water and also keep it sterile. No water, no oxygen, no dulling due to corrosion.

I just lay the used blade on a napkin and then fold the napkin over to pat, not rub, dry. If you're worried about germs then rinse in it alcohol BEFORE you shave, not after.

There's no need to do anything special with stainless blades. I just rinse the razor head in hot water, blow out the excess and sit it in my stand. I get 30+ shaves from virtually any blade doing this.

I just remove the blade, hold it under running water, and set in on my upside shaving mug to dry. Next day, I load it back in, or bin it to the blade-bank.

There's no need to do anything special with stainless blades. I just rinse the razor head in hot water, blow out the excess and sit it in my stand. I get 30+ shaves from virtually any blade doing this.

+1 to this. Although....not the 30 shaves part. I just don't take the blade out until it's ready to be changes.

[a]Rinse, wipe dry, set the razor back up on the shelf. Only after 2 or maybe 3 shaves does the blade come out, and only to be replaced.[/FONT][/I][/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
I rinse the blade and razor with hot water, a quick puff or two of breath to clear the water out of it, and let dry naturally...if using a TTO razor, I open the doors to facilitate the drying...if using a 3 piece, I leave it loosely pieced together to allow better evaporation in both cases.

This is just my opinion, but, I am thinking there is very little benefit to be gained from the alcohol process to extend the life of a $0.50 blade, let alone the time required....

I work in county jail. When I started, we put a psycho razor and tube of shave cream in the pod. It was passed inmate to inmate, when they were done we took the blade out, trashed, and rinsed the razor. Next morning install a new blade and pass it around. Now they get individual white Bics. Wish I had got ahold of the psychos when we switched, but they went in the trash. Didn't know they would become hot collectors, didn't even realize they were Gillettes.

back on topic, I rinse my razor, with blade in it, then on the rack. I only take them out when I change them.

What do you gentlemen make of the admonition found on a number of blade wrappers that instructs: "Do not wipe blade"? I suppose that's why you recommend "patting" them dry?

Meanwhile, it seems to me we need a new club/brotherhood: We-Who-Disassemble-Clean-Wipe-And-Disinfect-Our-Razors-And-Blades-After-Every-Use . . . erm, Society. WWDCWADORABAERS! The rest of us can use 'em, rinse 'em, and toss 'em. :biggrin:

Top Bottom