What's new

How do You prepare Powdered Matcha Green Tea?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Do you just dump a spoon full of the powdered tea into a cup of hot water? Do You strain it in any way? Does Matcha come in a non-powdered form? My other green teas have been whole leaf and I use an infuser, but this obviously won't work for this. What are your suggestions?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Before receiving your reply, I just added a small spoonful to my hot water in a cup and stirred with a spoon, had enough left in the bottom of the cup for another go round. Probably used way too much, but still good!

Matcha only comes powdered, as "matcha" is the name for the powdered version of "tencha," which is itself a flatly-dried version of "gyokuro," a high-quality type of green tea.

If you don't have or want a bamboo matcha whisk, you can use an approximate. A fork might be best, or maybe some kind of frother if you don't have your own tiny whisk. The only issue is that if you want to be really fussy about your matcha you probably don't want to use a metal utensil. I personally don't notice that much of a difference, but your matcha might end up with a slight metallic flavor to it. Same goes for plastic. I've also seen tea shops sell those plastic blender bottles you'd usually get for your protein shakes--these have a metal mesh ball inside that froths whatever you put in the bottle when you shake it, but you have the same issue (or non-issue, depending on your tastes). The only thing I would say is absolutely necessary is a flat-bottomed bowl, as this prevents any particulate from being stuck to the bottom and avoiding your whisk.

A big part of matcha is the consistency of the final product. You want a nice froth, and you want to make sure everything is dissolved. What I do is put my matcha (about 1.5 tsp's worth for 6 oz of water) through a small strainer like you would with flour or sugar to make sure everything is as fine as possible. I tend to find that making matcha is almost more enjoyable than drinking it, as it's meant to be "downed" right away instead of savored in order to get the immediate boost in energy--one more difference between it and more conventional teas.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the umami!

It's a similar technique to whipping up a nice shaving lather.

I tend to add a little water, whisk to a fine paste, then dilute & whisk some more.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Anyone in the Fort Worth area know where I can go to try some matcha before I buy it? I checked Japanese restaurants in the area, and none of the ones with an online menu show matcha on it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is there anything Joel can't do?
Or doesn't have!

I have been doing it wrong this whole time. My matcha came in packets! I just drop them in the cup and pour over hot water.

Top Bottom