What's new

Holding off on Feathers until I have more experience?

I have about 50 shaves or so with a DE. The blades I use are mostly Astra or Silver Blues. I heard that the Feathers are as sharp as can be, so I bought a few. But I also hear they are more of an experienced blade. I am thinking of holding off until i have a bit experience under my belt. I also bought Crystal..I might try those next...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If you're not having any issues with the Silver Blues, you will have no problem with the Feathers. You may not even be able to tell them apart. Go ahead and give them a shot.

50 shaves is more then enough experience. Load up a Feather and enjoy. No need to fear it, just respect it!

I'm gonna agree with the previous gents. There's no need to fear Feathers, just respect them. I wouldn't advice a complete and utter greenhorn to go shave-happy with them, but if you're not having any problems with what you're using now then I say "Have at it, hoss." Just be warned: they do not tolerate mistakes.

I was in the same spot about a month or so ago. I tried a Feather after about 50 shaves. I'd never used a DE up until May of this year. At that point, the Silver Blue was my favorite blade so far. I got 3 great shaves out of the Feather without tearing up my face, so it IS possible. The SB lasted a little longer (5 shaves vs. 3 for the Feather), but Feather offers a very nice shave.

Go ahead and try them--after all, Feathers are just blades. Like any razor blade, they are sharp enough to cut you, but no more likely to do so than a Derby. In fact, sharper blades are less likely to cut you than dull ones because they don't induce you to use more pressure in order to work properly. Just prep well and be careful not to use too much pressure, and you will get one of the best shaves obtainable.

No need for fear. I think the Feathers are a great blade, and with 50 shaves, you surely know what you are doing.

Go ahead and try them--after all, Feathers are just blades. Like any razor blade, they are sharp enough to cut you, but no more likely to do so than a Derby. In fact, sharper blades are less likely to cut you than dull ones because they don't induce you to use more pressure in order to work properly. Just prep well and be careful not to use too much pressure, and you will get one of the best shaves obtainable.

I agree completely. I'm a head shaver and I went to a feather after about 15 shaves because of my extremely coarse hair. I actually got a much better shave with much less irritation because I "respected" them more than my other blades, and that forced me to use less pressure than before, which led to less irritation.

I just tried Feathers in my Tech and had a week of great shaves. The sharp blade paired with the mild razor hit the sweet spot. As has been said - don't fear, respect.

I don't get all the fuss around Feathers; razor blades are supposed to be sharp. I started using them shortly after I started DE shaving because I wanted to make sure I was using a known good blade. I've never had a problem with them.

Load one up and shave.

No guts no glory :laugh:
just joking of course. I have your same experience.....go shave with them. They are great indeed.

+1. You'll be fine. Just tread lightly and you'll probably love them.

I cut myself a bunch with Feathers when I was first starting. They're one of my go-to blades nowadays, but I definitely needed to work up to them.

I don't get all the fuss around Feathers; razor blades are supposed to be sharp. I started using them shortly after I started DE shaving because I wanted to make sure I was using a known good blade. I've never had a problem with them.

Load one up and shave.
+1

I used feathers right from the start. Only blades locally available in Japan really!

They are sharp, shave super close, and cut if you don't pay attention. I also found them to be quite rough on the second and subsequent passes.

After a few weeks I received a sample pack ans tried the astra SP. I found them to be just as sharp as the feather, and smoother over all.

Ymmv. But I prefer the Astras! I've yet to try some other brands like gillete or persona that others think highly of. But for now I'm happy with the SP.

Feathers are one of my go-to blades. But they are sharp as hell!

If you are intimidated by them, try a shave without an ATG pass... maybe WTG, XTG, or even just a WTG shave just to see how it goes?

I started with Feathers in an mild razor (an EJ 89) and preferred the Feathers over Personna and Gillette Blues. So they are definitely useable IMO.

BTW, I eventually switched to Astras in a mid-aggressive razor (ATT R2), and I generally prefer the Astra/ATT combination. I mention this because I have about the same number of shaves as you, and because for people at our experience level, the interaction between blade and razor might be a more important factor than it is for more experienced shavers. I'm not sure how important the experience factor is, but for example, I do not use the Feathers with the R2 head (yet :smile:).

I only have three months of de shaving under my belt and i tried a feather blade for the first time last week.Best shave of my life!If you have perfected your technique and dont rush you will be pleased.I was scared too,but now i plan on getting the bulk pack to rotate with my personna blades which i also have grown to like.

Top Bottom