What's new

How did our fathers do to shave clean & safe

For some reason, it seems that only the good part of the "good ol' times" get remembered.

About 40 years ago someone drove in an old Ford Model T into the Ford service department where I worked, and a group of older guys stood around talking about driving those old "T"s "back in the day".

Another older guy walked past and heard them reminiscing, and spoke up "you can have them good ol' days, I broke my arm trying to start one of those things in those good ol' days".

How also remember how much time he spent fixing them and pushing them. He didn't miss them "good ol' days" at all.

What I remember about them "good ol' days" about shaving was the 5 o'clock shadow, something I haven't had to deal with for decades. That ended when I threw away my DE razors. It was no fun shaving again in the late afternoon if I was going out for dinner or on a date.

So you can have them "good ol' days". I'm much happier with today.

Brother Mango,

Nice to hear from someone in Italy, the home of Proraso.

Two answers come to mind for your question. Maybe the shaves your father had were not that wonderful, close, and comfortable. But to you as a child they seemed to be that way.

And maybe he didn't need to have a real close shave during his work day as a baker.

My old man rocks Barbasol original and the cheapest single blade Bic disposables and gets the prefect shave. It's amazing...

Last edited:
Guys, the more I read your experiences the more I come to the conclusion we are surrounded by aliens ...
:straight:
Seriously, I would rather share Beadog's analysis...and the fact they probably did the very minimum to keep clean.
However...how good is it to talk about our fathers huh ? ....I'm fifty and a father of a 20 years old man. He probably looks at me ...as an alien too :wink2:

Last edited:
Brother Mango,

Nice to hear from someone in Italy, the home of Proraso.

Two answers come to mind for your question. Maybe the shaves your father had were not that wonderful, close, and comfortable. But to you as a child they seemed to be that way.

And maybe he didn't need to have a real close shave during his work day as a baker.

and Cella fratello Santamariasteve :wink2:

In 1980, I bought my late father a shaving brush from Trumpers in Curzon street, I was living just round the corner in shepherd'a market. I posted it to him for his birthday. That was his shaving epiphany and from then on, he used a brush and soap or cream.
He maintained a Mach 3 for many years but after my only attempt at a straight edge failed I have it to him which he used on a regular basis. Later on he got into shaving in a big way and bought a Rolls razor and a fanboy .
i inherited most of his shaving paraphernalia which in some way keeps me in touch with him. I never knew such a subject could illicit such passion from him,but he was from a time where gay meant to be happy; a dandy was a man who dressed well; to not dress up for a dinner was considered rude to your hosts and most importantly,men shaved every day.

My dad taught me to shave. That means shower, wash face with soap, make lather, shave, clean, and put on aftershave.

That works for me, and obviously worked for him as well.

Here in turkey my grandfather shaved with a double edge and arko soap and used lemon cologne over it... Everyone here used lemon cologne.... Now we use pricey balms aftershaves cleaning gels etc... i am using thermal waters etc... i really plan to use a soap a razor and lemon cologne... Nothin more

I remember my father using his vulgaris DE razor, no oil, no prep, a simple cream tube (Palmolive?)same blade for a week, and 10 minutes to expedite the whole job few drops of Velva and back to work (he was a baker ...no time to hang around and a true blue beard!!) No nicks ...no cuts

Re-reading this, I probably know the answer to your question.

I also use no oil, and a simple Palmolive cream (look at my signature). I use the same Schick razor every day (except when traveling), and I use a blade for seven to eight days. Most days I splash on some Pitralon. The whole process, two passes, takes me 10 to 15 minutes?

I get good shaves, and no nicks or cuts. Why wouldn't he?

(I must admit that I don't use Palmolive exclusively, because I like the variety ... but it is an excellent cream, perfectly fit for daily use)

Last edited:
I don't use any oil, prep consists of a shower or quick face wash, shave, rinse, splash of aftershave - done in 10 minutes. That's three passes on my beard plus one on my head. I takes a bit longer if I use a puck of soap rather than a stick, but not much.

My dad uses an electric and has for years, but my stepdad has converted from disposables and goo to DE and soap. :thumbup:

Maybe, just MAYBE, this is the reason I've heard a lot older people mention twice daily shaving? I mean, with DE my shaves are definitely better, and way less irritated, BUT the stubble return is rather quick. I know my face wouldn't like it, but as for being 'clean' shaven, I could see myself doing it morning and then just after dinner.

As far back as I can remember, my father used nothing but a Trac II razor and a can of Edge gel. A few years back my mother handed him a Fusion and that was the last I ever saw of the Trac. I expect that is the combination that will be with him to the grave.

Part of that is why the DE razor stuff interests me. Until a short time ago I never knew it existed.

Re-reading this, I probably know the answer to your question.

I also use no oil, and a simple Palmolive cream (look at my signature). I use the same Schick razor every day (except when traveling), and I use a blade for seven to eight days. Most days I splash on some Pitralon. The whole process, two passes, takes me 10 to 15 minutes?

I get good shaves, and no nicks or cuts. Why wouldn't he?

(I must admit that I don't use Palmolive exclusively, because I like the variety ... but it is an excellent cream, perfectly fit for daily use)

CHECK THIS PALMOLIVE BLACK AND WHITE ADD ..isn't it appropriate ??? http://youtu.be/GoP_ljJ8sbw

I'll tell you tonight ... I shaved with Palmolive Classic cream this morning :biggrin:

Edit:

Shower and face wash (savon de marseille)
Palmolive Classic cream
Omega 10019 boar brush
Schick Krona razor
Personna Platinum Chrome blade
Cold water rinse
Vitos "aftershaving" splash

Ready for the day!

Last edited:
With this, I definitely believe in KISS - Keep it Simple, Stupid. I have a few razors and different blades, but just lather up and go each morning with no prep other then a shower.

My dad always used an electric shaver so, I didn't learn from him. My grandfather on the other hand shaved with a DE razor. Looking back all I can say is I think he could have used a few tips because all his shaves resulted in bits of toilet paper being stuck to his face to stop the bleeding. No prep, he just rubbed a some hand soap onto his face. Although they had more local products back then to choose from I still think we have it better now with help from the internet (forums and video) and worldwide access to shopping.

What I remember about them "good ol' days" about shaving was the 5 o'clock shadow, something I haven't had to deal with for decades. That ended when I threw away my DE razors. It was no fun shaving again in the late afternoon if I was going out for dinner or on a date.

You and Dick Nixon!

I know my father didn't like the whole shaving experience until the chore was over. Then he would splash most times with AV. He used mostly gillette de's but dabbled with schick injectors too. I shave with his red tip, techs, adjustables, superspeeds and kronas. Am having a blast with them reminicing seeing my dad in the mirror grimacing over wheepers. Lol.

Hi,

My dad face lathered Yardley, then used a Tech. One pass ATG. Done. No prep. No AS. Five minutes. When the Yardley went away, the Old Spice soap.

His dad did the same, but used a straight. My mom's dad did the same, but used an Old Type.

I have those razors, and even the brushes. I have both of dad's Techs, the Early one came first when I started shaving at age 15. I still use it as my travel razor.

I still shave the same way they did. I do add in a prep step, by washing my face first. I also add an AS by way of Lubriderm lotion. I have a razor they did not have, a Fasan Double Slant. I usually shave two passes, WTG then ATG, on one face lathering. I mix vintage Oster barber tallow soap with modern artisan glycerine soap. So, I do a bit more than they did. If Yardley or Old Spice still existed, I would use that alone.

Now, my morning shave lasts until 7 pm or so with the two passes. I know dad's lasted until 4 pm with the one pass. That is all I would get from one pass too. If I do a third pass XTG, I can go until 9 pm. If I pull a third pass, I relather and use grandpa's Old Type.

Stan

My dad uses an electric razor. He's used an electric for probably 30 years and I don't expect him to change. My grandfathers, on the other hand, both shaved with DE razors. One was a rancher and he shaved once a week unless something came up that made him shave more often. I don't recall him doing any more than lathering up on his face and shaving with one pass. My other grandfather was a school superintendent and I remember him being clean shaven almost every day. I don't remember watching him shave but I do know that he used a brush and mug soap.

Top Bottom