-Suavecito
-Imperial Barber
-JS Sloane
shiner gold
Reuzel
mr ducktail
johnny b
**** grease
there's alot before you go buy a high priced pomade try groom n clean or brylcreem Walmart normally cares the two

I've tried Woody's, and Johnny B... Both with great success. Lately I've been using Paul Brown's Hapuna hair cream. Not a pomade, but not greasy either.

oil/wax based products: lockharts line, pomps not dead line, grandads line, bees knees line, pompking's line, reuzel, the classics and byrd are some good oil/wax based products.

water based/soluble products i would recommend: daimon barber no 1 (my favorite), anchors teddy boy line, admiral, suavecito brilliantcreme, hanz de fuko claymation and sponge wax are good.

all these you can find on etsy, pomade.com/pomades.com or their pages on facebook. hanz de fuko i bought off their website.

the thing is though for these products to work it depends on your hair. is it thick, thin, wavy, straight, curly, in between straight and wavy (my hair is that), super curly

if you are unsure of what products you should contact the creators of the products on their websites or fb pages. i know the brewers of lockharts, pompking, grandads and pomps not dead would be glad to help you if you are interested in oil/wax based products. im sure the other companies would help you out too.

Pompadour?
Depending on your hair, black and white will give you the best slick of your life and will wash out easily in 2-3 shampoos.
If your hair is thick, murray's(though I prefer dax personally).

My life depends on 3 things.
Black and white(women LOVE the smell...Or men, depending on what you're into)
Women.
Women.
Number one gets you the latter two.

But if you like to be a crusty ducky, J.S sloan apparently makes good stuff, though it can't hold a lick of my hair down.

proxy.php

Wore a Flat Top at one time and used various Butch Waxes and Pomades (grease based) and had problems with dirty hair, washing hair, etc. People who used these products were called "greasers" and that is probably correct. Dermatologists have told me that unless something was squeaking in my head or hair to avoid grease. Switched to water based which didn't leave grease prints on various objects and was the happier for doing so. Later changed hairstyles and nowadays wouldn't put grease in my hair for love nor money.

Could putting grease in your hair/on your scalp be detrimental to both?

=1 for Uppercut Deluxe.. have recently tried several water based products and this one hold and smells great and applies easy.

I've been using the schmiere limited edition for most of the summer. I really like it. I also have the Schmeire hair balm for days when I want just a little hold to keep things in place.

Karl

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I just ordered some Lockhart's Goon Grease from West Coast Shaving and will soon order some Admiral from a UK seller. I also want to get a jar of Uppercut Deluxe and Reuzel Red from my barbershop here in Rome. I already have Suavecito Strong and Layrite Super Hold. Am I getting sick with PAD? :tongue_sm

P.S. PAD = Pomade Acquisition Disorder.

strop

Now half as wise
I've been using Tres Flores pomade the last couple of days. Water based. The scent is not as strong as the brilliantine I saw at Walmart, but I would gues just as polarizing. I like it, SWMBO doesn't particularly care for it. Very comparable in hold to Suavecito, though I have resaonbly short, straight, fine hair, so both Suavecito and regular Layrite work just fine for me.

I just ordered some Lockhart's Goon Grease from West Coast Shaving and will soon order some Admiral from a UK seller. I also want to get a jar of Uppercut Deluxe and Reuzel Red from my barbershop here in Rome. I already have Suavecito Strong and Layrite Super Hold.

Heard good things about Goon Grease. Hope you like it.

I just ordered some Lockhart's Goon Grease from West Coast Shaving and will soon order some Admiral from a UK seller. I also want to get a jar of Uppercut Deluxe and Reuzel Red from my barbershop here in Rome. I already have Suavecito Strong and Layrite Super Hold. Am I getting sick with PAD? :tongue_sm

P.S. PAD = Pomade Acquisition Disorder.
I was pondering creating a thread to see how many other gents have PAD.
Goon Grease is great, but it will not wash out. I used it two days in a row to get a decent build up, and I also washed my hair between applications. I like it. It's a great product at a reasonable price. Their moustache wax is top notch, too.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I was pondering creating a thread to see how many other gents have PAD.
Goon Grease is great, but it will not wash out. I used it two days in a row to get a decent build up, and I also washed my hair between applications. I like it. It's a great product at a reasonable price. Their moustache wax is top notch, too.

Sir, I've found this tutorial on how to remove oil based pomades from hair http://www.ehow.com/how_12084767_clean-pomade-out-hair.html To me it seems easy, quick and inexpensive. Will try it out as soon as Goon Grease will arrive, it's going to be my first oil based pomade.

strop

Now half as wise
I'll be really interested to hear about your experience with the oil based pomade. I have always shied away from them, for obvious reasons. I always figured our grandmothers put doilies on the backs of chairs for a reason!:lol:

To date my favorite is Iron Society.

I started out with the water based pomades like Layrite (which I like) and other stuff like Imperial Barber, Teddy Boy Original, etc. Later I figured I needed to try some of the oil based pomades just to broaden my horizons, if anything else. I think with the oil ones there is more variation between products than with the water based ones. Takes a bit longer to find the right one for you and your hair.

Iron Society is great. Not too much wax, not too much oil, smells like bay rum. I keep coming back to it after trying other things. I'm glad I found it otherwise my PAD might be out of control. Tired Goon Grease, don't care for it. Too much wax, too hard to put in, too much tugging. Like Grandad's Lightweight. Goes in easy, smooth, but not quite enough hold for me and I wish the pine scent was stronger.

I was apprehensive about trying oil based pomades. I figured I'd look like Squiggy, hate having product in my hair, hate not being able to wash the stuff out in one go, have some kind of horrid acne break out or that the stuff would be bad for my scalp and hair. I figured it would melt and run off when it's 98F outside, like it is now, or that I'd leave grease stains on anything an everything. None of it true. I'd almost bet wearing a hat is worse for your scalp and hair than oil based pomades. I also now wonder if the relatively simplistic ingredients that are in oil based pomades as compared to water based is a good thing.

The olive oil dish soap trick works for getting out pomade, and fer sure is the cheap readily available way to go. Another thing that works well is the Suave Groom & Clean method, also not that expensive. Groom & Clean is actually a styling product sold almost everywhere in the USA but for whatever reason one of the ingredients works well to wash out pomade. Or....you can just wash your hair a couple days in a row and there won't be much left in your hair.

I prefer the oil based pomades because they don't get crunchy and hard. You don't have to wet your comb or brush to re comb your hair and the fact they don't wash out readily is not such a bad thing in certain situations.

Top Bottom