What's new

H.E.B. blades

Just picked these up from a local HEB ( grocery store for those of you not in TX) for about $ 2.50 for a 10 pack .I've not used them yet, they will be my next blade to try as soon as I use up the blade I'm currently using. Anybody ever use these? I have no idea what actual brand they might be.

Chris

Attachments

• $3543a2.jpg
    $3543a2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 196
  • $3547a2.jpg
    $3547a2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 197
Israeli Personnas maybe? Finished off in Mexico and sold as generics for the Americas? Just a guess. Are they any good?

Jealous. Wish it was such easy pickins here in actual Jayhawk (KC) Land.

Do have family in Houston though, next time I swing through and go to an HEB will have look for em.

Israeli Personnas maybe? Finished off in Mexico and sold as generics for the Americas? Just a guess. Are they any good?
My first thought was a rebranded Personna, haven't tried them yet but if they are Personnas then I hope they are better than the others I have tried, not a huge Personna fan but I bought these on a whim so who knows :)

Chris

Those are the same blades they sell at Walgreens and Rite Aid here in Washington for $7 per 10... The better place to by them is at the Navy Exchange on base; $1.45 per 10. Excellent blades! Work great in my New LC. I'm pretty sure they are Israeli Persona Reds.

well to add an update on having used these blades for a couple of shaves I can say they are among the lower tier of blades. This is one of the few blades that I did not finish a first pass before I removed and grabbed the first blade handy. This was on the third shave on this blade, first two shaves were rough, I mean really rough but the skin was not irritated and I had no weepers. There is maybe one or two blades that rank lower than this one. I will not buy these again, period.

Chris

What razor are you using and as well what type and length of prep? For me they shave exactly the same as the legendary Israeli Red made by Personna.

the razor is the Cadet 26 OC and the prep is I shave after a shower, the last few shaves have been with either Stirling, Synegry, or Petal pushers soaps. No pre shave oil or the such. I get out of the shower and leave the face damp as I build my lather. I have not used the Israeli Reds so i can't comment on how they are. I have tried two of the Personnas which the ones in the blue wrapping I like and the other was the Personna wrapping that had a blue background and red writing if I remember correctly. I'll have to dig the few I have left and compare but I remember them being ok but no where near this bad.

Chris

Just my 2 cents, but I would never judge a blade using a Third World safety razor as Indian razors are notorious for shoddy QC. YMMV.

Granted the workmanship is not top notch don't really think it's the razor since I've been shaving with the Cadet for about two years and the characteristics of the blades seem to be the same no matter the razor. I will try them in one of my R41's or others out of curiosity but I seriously doubt I will buy these blades again.

Chris

Jealous. Wish it was such easy pickins here in actual Jayhawk (KC) Land.

Do have family in Houston though, next time I swing through and go to an HEB will have look for em.

How closely have you looked at your local mega-mart? I can find these same blades with slightly different packaging at any Dillon's store here in Wichita. They're just hard to spot, amid the trillion other cartridge and disposable offerings. They're the only DE blade sold there, but they're stocked every time I look.

Another update, after three shaves in my 2013 R41 I can still say I won't be buying these again. The shaves were close, and just a small amount of irrirtation but they were very uncomfortable. Rough. Better than the shaves in the Cadet but I can get a much more comfortable and smooth shave for a blade that costs less.

Chris

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris, I always look to see what HEB is carrying for DE blades here in Austin. I don't see these very often. Lately...nothing. I'm not really sure what their target market is for these blades other than scraping crap off your windshield. Normally HEB is right on with knowing the wants and needs of the local area and supplying those needs. Not with these blades. I have tried these and a have a few in stock. Personna Barbers actually have given me a decent shave but with discomfort.

Chris, I always look to see what HEB is carrying for DE blades here in Austin. I don't see these very often. Lately...nothing. I'm not really sure what their target market is for these blades other than scraping crap off your windshield. Normally HEB is right on with knowing the wants and needs of the local area and supplying those needs. Not with these blades. I have tried these and a have a few in stock. Personna Barbers actually have given me a decent shave but with discomfort.

The discomfort during the shave was bad, not the worse I've ever had but enough to ask myself why use these when I can get just as good or better shave with a blade that costs less. The results were a decent shave to be honest, just not worth it over all. I bought these on a whim since I rarely see any de blade for sale so live and learn. If it came down to it, in a pinch I'd use these over a Derby any day. As far as Personna's go I'l stick to the blue's, I actually get a nice shave with those.

Chris

Chris,

I live in Houston, with three HEBs within 5 miles of my house. I see exactly what you've pictured every time I go get groceries.

Thanks for bringing them to my attention as I haven't tried them yet (I have about 400 blades to go before I buy more:) ).

Top Bottom