What's new

Maggard's new stainless handled razor!

I just received it in the mail today. That thing is i massive! I mean almost too heavy. But not quite. Too bad I had a BBS shave with my ATT H2 today already. The experience has to wait. But boy, it's heavy, solid if a bit coarse knurling, a monster.

I have the ATT Kronos H2 which is just heavy enough IMO this this is just to big I'm personally waiting for a decent review I don't think I'd like it. My Ikon DLC OC weighs 114g. This thing seems almost like a novelty.

Just got mine today. It's heavy & huge! Here is a comparison shot with a Krona I just got and my SS Flare Tip.
$2014-08-02 14.26.05.jpg
$2014-08-02 19.26.37.jpg
$2014-08-02 17.26.00.jpg
$2014-08-02 17.29.13.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing with this razor is that you have to make sure the blade is straight before you tighten it down. Maggard states that on their website. Here are a couple of pics of the blade installed.
$2014-08-02 19.16.49.jpg
$2014-08-02 19.19.35.jpg

Well, I tried it. It shaves really nice with a Derby Extra. Almost BBS. Not quite as aggressive as the Utopia I have been using but I would say more aggressive than my SS Flare Tip.

I really like my M3 and just ordered one of these. The Heads are a bit rough but hate to say...it is my best Razor. I have a DE89, R41, HD, etc but for some reason I get a great shave every time. The head is supposed to be a close copy of the 89 and it does look close but shaves different for me. Love the fat handle and can't wait to get the stainless version. The M3 handle plating in't the best.

Mine shipped today, can't wait to try it out. I really shouldn't be experiment with other razors yet, but with that handle I couldn't resist.

I think it's a great handle, though the head is a little too mild for me. Here are my two posts on this subject in another thread:

The deed is done. I'm happy to report that 2011 R41 + Maggard stainless (150g!) handle = one superb, blood-free, irritation-free shave. :biggrin1:

Unless you're suicidal, the weight of the handle virtually forces you to use the R41 with the required care. Somewhat counterintuitively, the handle encourages the lightest possible touch -- which produces the best possible results with a razor like the R41. (I generally use a steep angle for my R41 shaves, but I think the Maggard handle would have a similar effect with a shallow angle as well.) As heavy as it is, the Maggard handle feels great in the hand, and is surprisingly maneuverable.

In short, the Maggard handle gave me one of the best shaves I've ever had with the R41 (and I have 3 years' experience with that razor). It will be my go-to handle for the R41 from now on.

Other specs: Superlather of Mike's Hungarian Lavender + Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime cream; Omega Pro 49 boar brush; brand new Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp blade ("Indian Green", my gold-standard blade). Aftershave was a mixture of witch hazel and Osage Rub. The Rub produced no burn, only tingle -- the shave was that good.

I give this shave :thumbup:

The more I use the Maggard stainless handle, the more I like it. I've now tried it with the Maggard razor head itself (similar to the EJ89, which is a bit too mild for my taste, but very comfortable to use), and with the ATT H2 (fabulous combo!). The size-heft ratio of the Maggard is Goldilocks-just-right -- if you like a heavy handle, that is.

And here's a photo comparing the Maggard handle to the Weber Bulldog, UFO Goliath, 2012 Weber Classic, and UFO Kaiser Short handles:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom