What's new

Maggard's new stainless handled razor!

R41 on the Maggard. $IMG_3254.jpg

That's a great combo, as I said here. Mine's all set up with the NY Shaving Co. Mariner for tomorrow morning. I rarely use the Mariner; it's at least as aggressive as the 2011 R41, and I've never found a handle that gives me enough control over it. I'm hoping that the Maggard handle will finally make the Mariner usable for me.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came in the mail today, shame I already had a really good shave this morning. I was worried the handle would be too big and heavy to use, but it seems fine. I really like the weight of it in my hand, picking up any razor after holding this one makes me feel like I'm holding a toy. The knurling is very nice, not gonna be dropping this bad boy anytime soon. The head feels cheap but that is to be expected, really. Was gonna shave with it tomorrow, but I need to test something else out and using a different razor might skew the results.

If you guys want one of these you better hurry up, there's only four left in stock. When I bought last Friday, there were 60 in stock

Last edited:
Mine's all set up with the NY Shaving Co. Mariner for tomorrow morning. I rarely use the Mariner; it's at least as aggressive as the 2011 R41, and I've never found a handle that gives me enough control over it. I'm hoping that the Maggard handle will finally make the Mariner usable for me.

My Mariner-Maggard shave was a success. Man, that Mariner is the most unforgiving "safety" razor I've ever used, definitely more unruly than my 2011 R41. The tiniest false move is invariably, reliably punished. The big handle helped me control it as well as possible. I was thisclose to a bloodless BBS after 2 passes, but I insisted on going for a third and ended up with a couple of small nicks. No big deal, and the shave was really close. Once again, the Maggard handle proves itself a winner.

I picked up a MR8 just for that sweet SS handle. I had wanted a big heavy handle like a UFO but couldn't justify spending that much on a handle and I'm glad I waited! It came a couple of days ago and I've shaved with it twice now. The head it came with gave me a nice smooth shave and I got identical results with an R89 this morning. I will be trying it out with my Cadet OC and R41 heads once I get used to the size. It has been a little unwieldy for me as I'm used to my Weber Bulldog.
I took a couple of pics in comparison with the Weber Bulldog in case anyone wants to see the size:

Side by side
proxy.php

From above to show the difference in diameter
proxy.php

And trying to show the knurling
proxy.php

This 180g beast is really quality for the price. Only differences are that the Weber is finished a little nicer and has grippier knurling. I'm definitely happy with it.

Wow. That's interesting. I am not sure I could get past the visual and overall difference in feel vs. a more standard handle.

If I wasn't on a self imposed sabbatical I would pick up this handle. I enjoy heavier razors and thicker handles......so this may be perfect. However it may even be too heavy. I am interested to see some more reviews on this handle. ONe thing is for sure is that the price ir right!

It's a shame they came out with a great priced handle and then made it ridiculous.
Obviously, lots of folks don't think it's ridiculous. However, it is too big for my tastes, and I am waiting until they come out with the announced smaller versions.

I have the MR3 being delivered today, didn't feel a need for the SS handle. I chose the thick handle to compensate for a poor grip due to arthritis.

I ordered a second Maggard SS. Decided I had to dedicate the first one to the beast Mariner, which I can finally actually enjoy shaving with, thanks to this humongous -- but beautifully proportioned -- handle. The second one -- can't wait till it gets here! -- will rotate between the R41 and other razors.

I do wish that the good folks at Maggard would make a version of this handle that fits the Fatip. Pretty please? :ladysman:

Wow. That's interesting. I am not sure I could get past the visual and overall difference in feel vs. a more standard handle.

I felt the same way when I first read about this handle. But, for the price, I thought it was worth a try. Now, I'm hooked!

Top Bottom