What's new

Non-offensive after shaves

Imperial barber makes a nice one in a scent that is pretty non offensive and doesn't last too long. Also for I scented, I like Mandom Lucido. Both work well in addition to being inoffensive

Try Proraso Green; light, inoffensive and clean...dry's down to a subtle eucalyptus scent. My daily AS for a couple of years now during the warm months and no grumbles from coworkers.

I'm by no means an aftershave or scent expert, but when you say "light and inoffensive" I think of Speick aftershave. The scent is very light with a tiny hint of citrus and an even tinier hint of spice. Very light and fresh.

For an anecdote: When I first tried Speick I wasn't impressed at all. It was, to me, kind of just generic "cologne-y" smell. Then I tried P&G Old Spice aftershave once, and it was the exact opposite. Heavy and kind of offending. I had to wash it off later that afternoon because I was sick of smelling it, and to cover it up I immediately grabbed Speick and had a whole newfound appreciation for its scent.

Well, I got the nod of approval on the clubman.

I don't know what exactly made the clubman better than the AV or the knockoff SB, but she did say that I didn't smell like a bathroom/toilet cleaner. I'm guessing the clubman smells less toilet cleaner-y.

I can't exactly put my finger on what the clubman smells like when it dries down on me, but it seems like it's a little spicy/woody/citrusy with a hint of powder.

I told my girlfriend that I'd keep buying cheap aftershaves/scents until I find one she loves. I don't think she "loves" the clubman, but she does like it.

Why not let your gf pick one out for you?

What he said.

My wife also has a particular nose. I've long ago given up on picking my own scents. I got a sampler of T&H west indian limes cologne not long ago, and I thought it smelled rather good. Fresh and sporty, with a bit of a "gentlemanly" smell to it. It was rapidly shot down.

+1 on getting pre-purchase input from your girlfriend.

You may want to try getting some aftershave samples. (Maggard's is one vendor that offers them) My wife ended up liking the TOBS Lime on me way more than I would have guessed.

Another option for any type of aftershave that might be a bit strong, is to add some witch hazel.

It'd have to be tried out quite a bit on my skin and get the full gamut of bottle to dry down to hours later. I can see her buying a cologne/aftershave and liking the initial bottle scent, but not liking the way my body reacts to it.

I've had several that I've liked the bottle smell of, but turn urine-y or flowery a little while later.

As an old guy (married more than 40 years) my #1 suggestion is to run these things by your GF. This can only help.

Next time you go to the store, see if they have any Skin Bracer. Pop the top off and take a drop. It's kind of like Mennen's speed stick at first but dries down to a vanilla scent. Pretty inexpensive drug store brand.:thumbup1:

Or Captains Choice's stuff smell great and don't overpower. I actually wish they had a little more projection/staying power. I like their Bay Rum & North a lot. Simple ingredients.

I concur with Speick. I also have DR Harris Arlington and Stirling Executive Man.

All are in the same general neighborhood, and last long enough to enjoy, but not long enough for the end of day "That's still around?".

I have about 12 different after shaves and the only one my wife has commented on (in any way ... in this case very favorably) is the Executive Man.

The thing I like about these is that I can use virtually any cologne / EDT and they don't really clash, given how mild these After Shaves are.

The only AS my wife doesn't like is the Veg, which she says smells like talcum-powdered cow patty. Even with the Veg, though, just as with my other 30+ AS splashes, neither she nor I can smell the splash after about 30 minutes. Maybe Clubman Special Reserve, Tabac and Wm Neumann last a bit longer, but not by much. Kouros EdT, on the other hand...

I'd suggest the Veg. If you're not chosen, your better half will beg you to put on the English leather.

Well, it is getting near time to make an online order of goodies again. Maybe some SR and Veg will have to be added to the order.

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with the original Stetson smelling like cat pee? I think the floral in Stetson has gotten feline urine-y on me before (which is why I Haven't owned or worn it in about 15 years).

Better yet if somebody else has tried Stetson and Veg, and got cat pee from both, I could be pretty assured that I wouldn't be chosen.

How about using Thayers Witch hazel as an aftershave? Has decent astringent properties, and very subtle smelling which dies down to nothing.

Top Bottom