What's new

In the family

I just spent the better part of last week visiting family at Grandma's House, thought I would share my inheritance:
Grandma and I started talking about Grandpa, who has been gone for about 8 years, and how things "use to be". Of course we had the TV on in the background and a commercial comes on with a "fancy" razor. So I tell her about my DE razor and how I had just picked up a SE to begin to learn with. Well, she gets up, comes back with a smile, and hands me this beauty! A J.R. Torrey, not sure about the model/year, yet... My Grandfather used it, and she believes it belonged to my Great-Grandfather. I was just speechless for a few minutes... Goes to show you, you never know what you will learn when talking to your elders! :001_smile
$2014-07-28 09.58.16.jpg$2014-07-28 09.59.32.jpg$2014-07-28 09.59.17.jpg$2014-07-28 09.59.40.jpg

Very nice. It looks to be in perfect condition.
You might want to have the edge refreshed a bit and you should be set.
Your grandpa must have had a strop too, you might be able to get that too.

Thanks! Unfortunately, it appears the strop is gone. I am guessing the blade has not seen light of day in years!

Very nice, very good condition ... and a heirloom too !
I'm sure you'll hold on to that razor ...
Unfortunately, my own grandfather never used a straight razor.
Don't worry about the strop, leather doesn't age very well in any case.

Wow!! That is one awesome Torrey and a great heirloom and story to boot. Congrats. Hone that up and have at it.

I am still looking for my grandfather's two straights at my parents' house. so far, no luck, but I'll keep digging.

I'm blown away by the spectacular condition of that razor. It is in truly outstanding condition. It's nice to know that you have an heirloom as well. You're the 4th generation to use that very special razor. I envy you!

I've got my grandfather's Parker 51 and a closet full of knives. I used to play with his SS when I was a kid (no blades thank god, I'd have diced myself). mom and I ended up clearing out the grandparents' house after they both had gone. no idea where that SS went. I didn't even think about it until I started up on this.

congrats on having such a pristine heirloom. I charish mine.

I'm still waiting for mine. My grandfather was a barber in the Navy during Korea. He told me he still has his straight that he purchased on shore leave in Japan laying around the house somewhere. Can't wait to figure out what it is and how it looks/shaves!

Top Bottom