What's new

Tea and Science Fiction

I've known artist Todd Lockwood for many years. We had dinner last night. This is art for the cover of C.J. (Carolyn) Cherryh's next novel. Obviously, I love the tea theme. Todd used Ms. Cherryh as the model for the alien woman here depicted. I love this book series, too.

$IMG_21646374195822.jpeg

I read about this cover. From what I understand, in Cherryh's series, a lot of conflict resolution occurs over tea.

For some reason the word "tea" in a sci-fi or fantasy setting just throws me right out. "Coffee" only slightly less so, unless, for some inexplicable reason, it is a sci-fi military setting. And it ALWAYS has to be human centered, an alien busting out their tea (and calling it "tea") is an absolute no-go for me.

Most of it is being a southern American where tea = sweet iced tea, an abominable concoction that should NEVER exist in any other setting :p. While I'm aware of and appreciate "english" tea, it has so many cultural connections to a specific victorian setting it is hard to disassociate and maintain a suspension of disbelief. That image just reinforces the belief (though I'm sure there is a reason for it).

For some reason, none of these things exist for ANY variety of alcohol. I am totally on board with space whisky and romulan ale!

Weird.....

Sorry, but you confuse me. Please clarify your point for my weak mind.

I have co-authored three books on tea. If it does not contain camellia sinensis, it is not tea. It is a tisane.

I was merely celebrating a Todd Lockwood cover...or in this case, a cover yet-to-be.

For some reason the word "tea" in a sci-fi or fantasy setting just throws me right out. "Coffee" only slightly less so, unless, for some inexplicable reason, it is a sci-fi military setting. And it ALWAYS has to be human centered, an alien busting out their tea (and calling it "tea") is an absolute no-go for me.

Most of it is being a southern American where tea = sweet iced tea, an abominable concoction that should NEVER exist in any other setting :p. While I'm aware of and appreciate "english" tea, it has so many cultural connections to a specific victorian setting it is hard to disassociate and maintain a suspension of disbelief. That image just reinforces the belief (though I'm sure there is a reason for it).

For some reason, none of these things exist for ANY variety of alcohol. I am totally on board with space whisky and romulan ale!

Weird.....

Sweet tea is a regular black tea (usually) sweetened with a ridiculous amount of sugar until it tastes like a tea flavored soda served over ice with lemon and sometimes cherries in southern USA. I believe he is saying that in his head when he reads the word 'tea' he imagines "sweet tea".

Personally if an alien pours me a pot of fine tea, I would wonder where they got it. The image of an alien drinking a sweet tea just made me LOL.

Sweet tea is a regular black tea (usually) sweetened with a ridiculous amount of sugar until it tastes like a tea flavored soda served over ice with lemon and sometimes cherries in southern USA. I believe he is saying that in his head when he reads the word 'tea' he imagines "sweet tea".

Personally if an alien pours me a pot of fine tea, I would wonder where they got it. The image of an alien drinking a sweet tea just made me LOL.

EXACTLY. Offering anyone who has not been raised (force fed?) southern sweetened iced tea would normally bring charges of poisoning! Fortunately my dad was a northerner so we had access to milk, water, and lemonaid as children (though he has since fallen into the sickly sweet trap of iced tea) but there were many times where literally the only options for drink at a southern function were iced tea (usually sweetened but sometimes not, in which case 4-5 packets of sweetener were usually added!) or water.

Anyway, I'm glad this is totally foreign to other folks around the world. I love being a southerner but damn, some customs need to go :p Fortunately I'm old enough for beer :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

EXACTLY. Offering anyone who has not been raised (force fed?) southern sweetened iced tea would normally bring charges of poisoning! Fortunately my dad was a northerner so we had access to milk, water, and lemonaid as children (though he has since fallen into the sickly sweet trap of iced tea) but there were many times where literally the only options for drink at a southern function were iced tea (usually sweetened but sometimes not, in which case 4-5 packets of sweetener were usually added!) or water.

Anyway, I'm glad this is totally foreign to other folks around the world. I love being a southerner but damn, some customs need to go :p Fortunately I'm old enough for beer :)

When southerners talk about sweet iced tea, all that comes to my Canadian mind is "iced tea" that we get in the store, in dried crystals in cans ...

proxy.php

... that you mixed with water on a hot day and tossed in some ice cubes. You make sure to include the "iced" when you said "iced tea", kind of like you make sure you say "field" when you talk about "field hockey" ... as in "not the real thing at all." Now I see they have it in cans, like coke.

Meh.

"Tea" comes in two varieties: "English" tea, where you sip it out of fine bone china (or a mug) and presumably have cream and sugar and/or lemon added; the tea is almost certainly "black" tea. Then there's "Chinese" tea, where you sip it out of tiny cups and brew it in tiny pots or gaiwan, and it's more likely not "black" (or "red") but green, oolong, pu-er, &c ...

Nah Ian, no self respecting Southerner would use those granules. No sirree. He's going to use Luzianne or Lipton tea bags. Usually made in the sun in a one gallon glass jar. It is not as bitter that way. Works better as a cold drink. You can tell I was not born south of the Mason-Dixon since I drink tea like that in these damnably hot and humid Kansas summers but I drink it with no sugar or other sweetener at all. And if you listen close they don't call it sweet tea. It's swee'tea.:001_smile

It's even worse when I go to a BAR, with Guinness AND Harp on tap, and ask for a "Half 'n Half". Most of the time they think I want that iced tea/lemonaid thing, or even the creamer and coffee! So I either ask for a "Black 'n Tan" and settle for Bass instead of Harp or explain exactly what I want. I can sorta understand this at a sports bar or whatever, but at an "irish" themed one (i.e. any place that actually has Guinness and Harp on tap)? Sacrilege!

Sweet tea is a regular black tea (usually) sweetened with a ridiculous amount of sugar until it tastes like a tea flavored soda served over ice with lemon and sometimes cherries in southern USA.

In KY we like our sweet tea with fresh mint. And Wild Turkey.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
And if you listen close they don't call it sweet tea. It's swee'tea.:001_smile

Remarkable how they can make a pie filling out if it too ...

It's even worse when I go to a BAR, with Guinness AND Harp on tap, and ask for a "Half 'n Half". Most of the time they think I want that iced tea/lemonaid thing, or even the creamer and coffee! So I either ask for a "Black 'n Tan" and settle for Bass instead of Harp or explain exactly what I want. I can sorta understand this at a sports bar or whatever, but at an "irish" themed one (i.e. any place that actually has Guinness and Harp on tap)? Sacrilege!

Well, in a world where you actually have to specify the "gin" part when ordering a martini, this is not unexpected.

Jason10mm, just make sure to never repeat those comments in the South. You could start WWIII :tongue_sm

No kidding. I've long since learned to keep my peace about sweet tea (and grits, and basketball, which was tough going to school in North Carolina!) :) Fortunately I speak fluent BBQ, whisky, and guns, so I get along alright :p

No kidding. I've long since learned to keep my peace about sweet tea (and grits, and basketball, which was tough going to school in North Carolina!) :) Fortunately I speak fluent BBQ, whisky, and guns, so I get along alright :p

:lol:

Ya, I once uttered my dislike of grits...never again :biggrin:

Top Bottom