What's new

Opinions on Kai blades?

Forgive me if this has been discussed..........I did a search which yielded no results. I'd love to hear some feedback regarding Kai blades. I see them requested fairly often in the Blade Exchange, but haven't found feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Never used one myself. But have heard people compare them to Feathers. Very sharp but not very forgiving.

They were a very sharp blade (like Feather sharp) that felt somewhat rigid and unforgiving to me. They are quite expensive as well.
For what they cost, please try them before you buy a lot.

I agree they are super sharp, but I did find them smoother and more forgiving than Feathers but again YMMV. Bottom line, I like them a lot just way too expensive for me.

I attempted to use two Noxema Kai blade disposable razors last year I bought at Dollar Tree. Absolutely THE worst disposable I have ever used!! It was like shaving with a tuna can lid. That soured me on buying their DE blades.

I did a blind test a while back and Kai's were near the top for me. A terrific, sharp blade. I really loved that they weren't stamped with any logos, just a shiny sharp blade in a plain white wrapper. I wish they were more affordable. I can't see buying them at the prices they sell for now, but if they came down into Feather range, I'd happily use them.

Sharp, efficient, priced like NOS blades, so for me not worth it. Lots of comparables including Feather and Gillette Yellow.

Todd

They were a very sharp blade (like Feather sharp) that felt somewhat rigid and unforgiving to me. They are quite expensive as well.
For what they cost, please try them before you buy a lot.

Great advice and thanks. I'm asking because I ordered a sampler pack for "sensitive skin" from Razor Emporium online, and a pack of 5 was included in the set. Was trying to get a feel for perhaps what to expect. Once I give them a spin I will report back.

Last edited:
I agree they are super sharp, but I did find them smoother and more forgiving than Feathers but again YMMV. Bottom line, I like them a lot just way too expensive for me.

I guess we'll see! For them to have been included in a sensitive skin pack seems odd if they are a harsher blade. As always, results will vary from person to person, but in general my assumption was that they were of the less ferocious variety!

I tried a few and they mauled me only blade that was worse than Gillette Silver Blues for me.

Interestingly enough Gillette Silver Blue was included in my sensitive skin sampler as well! Haven't tried them yet. First tried the Astra SP's, liked them, and will load up a Personna Red tonight.

I don't have first hand experience with the Kai (it's a Unicorn). But its reputation is that it is as sharp as a Feather, but without the harshness. So it is supposed to be the "sensitive skin" alternative a Japanese Samurai-sharp blade. It is also made of a thicker gauge metal, but I don't know what that gauge is supposed to be. Standard DE blades are .004" thick. SE blades are considerably thicker, at .009" thick. So I would imagine the Kai to be somewhere in between, probably in the range of .005" thick. DE blades still have to be pretty thin, so they are flexible and the razor can bend them like a rainbow. I would like to get my hands on a 10-pack of these. You know what I'm thinking? Kai blades B&B group-buy. Someone with a connection should set this up.

BTW, the Gillette Silver Blue is also reputed to be very smooth. I have a handful of these at home ready for trial. They are next on my list, though I haven't gotten around to trying them yet. I just finished a month-long trial of the Astra SP's and Personna Lab Blues.

Last edited:
BTW, the Gillette Silver Blue is also reputed to be very smooth. I have a handful of these at home ready for trial. They are next on my list, though I haven't gotten around to trying them yet. I just finished a month-long trial of the Astra SP's and Personna Lab Blues.

What has your overall experience been with both of those?

What has your overall experience been with both of those?
I would rate the Astra SP a 3/5 for sharpness, and the Personna 3.5/5. Only because my result is a little closer with the Personna in the same number of passes. They feel almost identical on my face, except the Astra starts to get scratchy after 2 shaves. I get 3 shaves reliably out of the Personna Blue. They are both pretty comfortable, but I give the slight edge to the Personna, for both comfort and closeness.

I also have a small handful of Personna Blue "Med Preps" at home to try out later. They are supposed to be even sharper, although they do cost about double what the standard Personna Blues cost.

I would rate the Astra SP a 3/5 for sharpness, and the Personna 3.5/5. Only because my result is a little closer with the Personna in the same number of passes. They feel almost identical on my face, except the Astra starts to get scratchy after 2 shaves. I get 3 shaves reliably out of the Personna Blue. They are both pretty comfortable, but I give the slight edge to the Personna, for both comfort and closeness.

I also have a small handful of Personna Blue "Med Preps" at home to try out later. They are supposed to be even sharper, although they do cost about double what the standard Personna Blues cost.

Thanks, Cratz. Appreciate the feedback.

These are the blades I like
1.Gillette Super Thin (Thai) nice and sharp as well as smooth for my face.
2. Personna Med Prep sharper than the GST but not as forgiving.
3.Astra SP. between GST and Med Prep and smooth

The GSBs felt like an angry woman with stainless steel French manicured nails tried to shave my face. They also drew a lot of blood. I tried them 5 times.
Kai drew even more blood but I did not feel any bite even though I had a lot of weepers and nicks.

They were good for 5 to 6 shaves for me......

like some others have stated they are way too expensive and I believe overpriced.......

John H.

Top Bottom