What's new

favorite barrister and mann soap scent?

What is it and describe in laymans terms what it smells like. I can never really tell what in the world they are talking about sometimes. Really want to try some but i know i dont like barbershop smells so seville is out. thanks guys

Seville is my favorite (I know you said it's out, but that's a shame). I would never describe it as barber shop even though I know B&M does. It's bright and clean. Slight hit of citrus. I pick up some patchouly. It's just a great scent. 2nd favorite of the regular lineup is Vetiver, Heather and clarysage.

That said, I like them all except Roam. Roam smells like you just got back from camping for a weekend. They are all worthy of a go. B&M makes some of the best soaps I've ever had the pleasure to use. Buy the sampler and see what your nose tells you.

My favorite is probably Ferox. It's a grapefruit scent with a nice base of herbs. Very refreshing with a nice depth to it. It is on the stronger side as well (which is what I prefer).

Seville, to me, is exactly what my barber shop smells like. It's very clean smelling. I just ordered the aftershave in this scent.

Lime/Cedarwood/Lavender was kind of 'meh' to me. The scent was a little weak and just didn't wow me in any way.

Bay Rum is not typically my thing. This bay rum is very heavy on the clove and the scent is very strong.

The Vetiver/Sage/Heather is very pleasant and well balanced herb scent. However, it's not something I want to shave with.

Roam is very intense and strong mix of campfire, tobacco, leather, etc. It's very strong. Sometimes I LOVE it, and other times its just too much for me. I think it would be great in the winter during snowboard season.

I now have Lavanille on the way. The description is very intriguing. Whatever scent, the performance is always top notch.

My favorite is probably Ferox. It's a grapefruit scent with a nice base of herbs. Very refreshing with a nice depth to it. It is on the stronger side as well (which is what I prefer).

Seville, to me, is exactly what my barber shop smells like. It's very clean smelling. I just ordered the aftershave in this scent.

Lime/Cedarwood/Lavender was kind of 'meh' to me. The scent was a little weak and just didn't wow me in any way.

Bay Rum is not typically my thing. This bay rum is very heavy on the clove and the scent is very strong.

The Vetiver/Sage/Heather is very pleasant and well balanced herb scent. However, it's not something I want to shave with.

Roam is very intense and strong mix of campfire, tobacco, leather, etc. It's very strong. Sometimes I LOVE it, and other times its just too much for me. I think it would be great in the winter during snowboard season.

I now have Lavanille on the way. The description is very intriguing. Whatever scent, the performance is always top notch.

Wow thank you!! Nice to have some scent description i can relate to lol

Bay Rum is definitely my favorite. I used to not care for bay rum (like a previous post), but this one really got me hooked. I really like it, and it is indeed strong, which I like (I'm not a fan of subtle to no scent soaps). It's a pleasant sweet clove smell to my nose, sweeter than other bay rums I've tried. As a matter of fact, used it just the other day, and splashed a liberal amount of Captain's Choice Cat 0'Nine Tails aftershave to top it all off.

Pretty sure Petrichor is gonna be my favorite... I ordered 6 jars! Otherwise, the Fall seasonal release was really great.

I really like their Bay Rum but my favorite Barrister & Mann soap is Nocturne. It's one of the Fall release scents and it smells great. Kind of a sweet apple cider scent.

Pretty sure Petrichor is gonna be my favorite... I ordered 6 jars! Otherwise, the Fall seasonal release was really great.

6 jars of a soap you have never sampled? I hope its your new fav, you will be shaving with it for a couple years. :w00t:

6 jars of a soap you have never sampled? I hope its your new fav, you will be shaving with it for a couple years. :w00t:

Yeah, I've got kind of a blind trust in Will. I've never tried a scent of his I haven't liked, performance is top notch, and I was one of the first people asking him to produce the scent. If I somehow hate it, there's always BST!

Cheshire is my favorite so far with adagio at a close second. To me cheshire is unexplainable but the best way to explain it is clean and refreshing.

Adagio to me the scent is definitely a cherry dominant followed by a slight lime scent what kicks this soap over the top to me is a light menthol kick. I hate soaps that are strong in menthol and this one is perfect strength

To answer your question though get the sampler and decide for yourself! Cheshire is his best selling soap and it is even the owners (will)'s favorite soap he makes also. I absolutely love the scent. I'm about to order a few pucks myself.

He made lots more than that, and I know plenty of others on another forum who got in as well. Will says he'll have another batch ready to go by mid-week, and will keep making more until the demand dies down.

What about solstice and hallows? I know they are seasonal. I really want to try the lime lavender and cedar

First off I recommend signing up for his mailing list. He emails when the new scents are available and they ALWAYS go fast. I've missed out on both Fougeres and now the Lavanille and Petrichor because they go so quick!

Have not gotten to try Hallows but hopefully will get to this fall. Solstice is a nice light fragrance that reminds me of anise. The Lime Lavender and Cedarwood is also light but it's a perfect blend of the three. I get no woodiness just fresh lime and lavender with a hint of cedar. Adagio is great. Think cherry limeade! Scent is strong enough to shine through my menthol additive too (I like it cold but the menthol can overpower lighter scents). The Bay Rum is actually clove free and that is why I like it so much. The vetiver is another great blend with the floral scents taking the edge of of the vetiver. Ferox is my favorite. Grapefruit dominant with herbal notes. The sampler is really the way to go though. Generous samples (I got minimum ten shaves from each) and you will probably like most if not all of them. Will has a talent for scents and they all perform outstanding. You will definitely like the lather.

Another vote for the sampler. You guys are so lucky that you don't have to worry about international shipping ($20 on average). Will makes fantastic performing soap but his talent with scent is what makes him stand apart from the rest.

PS: I would not consider B&M to be a clovey Bay Rum. I think you're smelling west indian bay leaves (pimenta racemosa) which are similar. Ogallala is an example that has a heavy clove note to it.

Top Bottom