What's new

No brush stand

I've always used a brush stand to dry my brushes. Now I have a brush I can't fit in my current stand. What are other good ways to dry out your brush, or impromptu stand ideas?

#1 Modify a cheap acrylic stand with file and sandpaper
#2 Build a stand
#3 Stand the brush on its flat end and walk away

I have more brushes than stands. #3 is a frequent choice. If you shake most of the water out first I don't think there is a huge difference in hanging versus standing.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
#1 Modify a cheap acrylic stand with file and sandpaper
#2 Build a stand
#3 Stand the brush on its flat end and walk away

I have more brushes than stands. #3 is a frequent choice. If you shake most of the water out first I don't think there is a huge difference in hanging versus standing.

This right here.

The only advantage I see for using a stand is that it minimizes dust settling into the hairs on any brushes that don't get used very regularly. I have one stand that I've had for about 20 years and I keep an infrequently used badger brush in it at my summer cottage.

I hadn't used a stand in years, and despite no negative effects, was worried about the water seeping into the base day after day. So I used wire cutters to cut a piece from a clothes hanger. I then wrapped that around the end of the brush, and took the two end pieces and found a place I could wedge them into. It requires a little bending, etc to get them right, but it works well enough for me.

Why won't it fit; you hang by the knot. I may leave the brush that I use on the stand overnight, but always store them on the handle.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The only time I use a brush stand is when I use hair ties (for girls) to correct excess splay on a rinsed brush. Otherwise I stand them on their handle, bristles up.

What brush is that?

Its a Rudy Vey 26mm DO1 3-band on a chief style handle.
as it isn't here yet I don't know for sure it won't fit, but I know the 24mm brush I have in my cheap plastic stand barely fits and I'm already uncomfortable that it may be bad for the hair to be that tight against the plastic.
maybe I'm making something out of nothing, but I have gotten some good info and recommendations here.
And an excuse to show off my new brush.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 152
Its a Rudy Vey 26mm DO1 3-band on a chief style handle...
In my opinion it would be a shame to display such a beautiful brush on a coat hanger wire makeshift stand (not to mention quite an insult to Rudy's work).
I would recommend a proper stand, at least one that you can get for less than $15. You deserve it, your brush deserves it, and it lasts a lifetime.

One solution, if you end up with a stand too small, is to place the brush on top of the stand, leaning forward:

proxy.php

Enjoy your Rudy Vey brush for many years to come. It is indeed beautiful.

Oh, I absolutely intend to get a decent stand. I was just looking for something to get me by until I can get one delivered. I think I have one picked out from The Superior Shave, I just have to get it ordered and delivered.

Buy a leather shoe lace (anywhere shoe laces are sold). Tie a slip knot on each end. One end attaches to the towel rack the other end slips around the end of the brush. As you add more brushes…add more laces (may resemble a string of garlic. Lol)

I use a stand for my WD badger but I just place my Semogue 1250 on it's base and let it air dry. Over a year with no issues doing that way.

Buy a leather shoe lace (anywhere shoe laces are sold). Tie a slip knot on each end. One end attaches to the towel rack the other end slips around the end of the brush. As you add more brushes…add more laces (may resemble a string of garlic. Lol)

Very interesting idea here, I like it!

I use the same plastic stand I've had for at least 30 years. I have two brushes an old cheap pure badger and a new WD synthenic. The one I'm not using are in Pill bottles I modified to store brushes. A small one for my old brush and a large one for my new brush.

+1 for this. I did the exact same thing. Not very pretty, but 100% effective.

I hadn't used a stand in years, and despite no negative effects, was worried about the water seeping into the base day after day. So I used wire cutters to cut a piece from a clothes hanger. I then wrapped that around the end of the brush, and took the two end pieces and found a place I could wedge them into. It requires a little bending, etc to get them right, but it works well enough for me.

I'm with the camp that says, "You don't need a stand". Drying it on it's handle doesn't do any harm to the brush.
However, a stand or rack looks much nicer and more neat especially if you have more than one brush.
Our member chamm (Craig) made this one for me.
$IMG_6513.jpg

I sometimes use rubber bands to tie the brush to a towel rack. It's obnoxiously simple, with no permanent changes to the bathroom. The brushes are also positioned much higher up which, I suspect (could be wrong here fellas) the gravity adds to the drying time.

Top Bottom