What's new

Rolls Razor Score!

Scored this Rolls Razor this morning at a flea market. I have been keeping an eye out for a "complete" set for a little while now. Came across this one this morning and it intrigued me. I have never seen this particular model before. All of the other ones I have seen had geometric patterns on the lids and came in carboard boxes, this one has a pebble grain finish and a red leatherette box. The box says "Popular Model" Made by Rolls Razor LTD London England. From what i can tell the blade is not original to the set as it is not date stamped. The hone and strop are in working condition and the blade has taken a very nice edge. Cant wait to give this thing a test drive in the morning. Can anyone give me any more info on this particular set or point me in the right direction? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
$IMG_3142.jpg$IMG_3154.jpg$IMG_3147.jpg$IMG_3153.jpg

Wow !!....count me in...I went to see my sister today and she surprised me with a mint condition Imperial #1 set she found at a flea market.Much heavier than what I expected.The strop looks like it was made yesterday.Can't wait to try the razor out....Case lining is pretty musty,I am thinking about spraying it with Lysol,any suggestions ?

Good Morning Gentlemen. I spent some time yesterday evening honing and stropping the blade to bring her up to "shave ready" status. The blade was already in pretty good shape when i got it so it really didnt take all that long. I have never used a Rolls before and it has been a long time since i last used a straight so I made sure that when I first placed it against my face I gave it all the respect it deserved. I started off with my usual hot shower prep while my Whipped Dog 22/45 silvertip soaked in my lather bowl. After my shower i whipped up a nice thick lather from my RSC Moisturizing cream. On the first WTG pass i went real carefully and really took my time. I had some extremely minor tugging in a spot or 2 that went away very quickly. I'm chalking that up to lack of experience with this razor and I think it might need a bit more stropping. I followed up the WTG pass with 2 XTG passes and a ATG pass. When i finished up I checked my face real well, no nicks, no weepers, no irritation. I didnt quite achieve BBS but it was close. Call it a very solid DFS. Not too shabby for the first time out of the gate. I am planning on giving it another run in a few days.

I also spent some time yesterday evening researching the Rolls based on the link a few posts back and other searches and I have not found a single picture of a case like mine. It also seem that the "popular" model, isnt. Well so far it looks like it will be popular with me. Gonna have to get an Imperial and a Viscount and do a real apples to apples comparison.

Ok wouldn't spray it with Lysol. Clean the case with soap and water. Dry it as best you can, and let it sit open for a day or so.

PM the roller if it needs it, especially if you see grease under the pin where the blade attaches to be honed and stropped. There's good info in the WIKI about how to do this. Don't force anything, especially the spring! It's easy to take apart.

Treat the strop. I use Fromm's and FeOx.

Best,
Jerry

Glad to hear that you got a good shave. I still get some irritation if I try to get much beyond DFS. Wound up BBS yesterday but there was a price.

Even with my admittedly limited experience, the Rolls is one of my favorite shaves.

proxy.php

The earliest models have a pebble-finish metal case. The silver plated model pictured above is smaller than the later models: about 2-1/2 x 5-5/8 inches. It came in a dark red pebble grain leatherette (probably over wood) case with a glove snap closure. The address on the instruction sheet is Rolls Razor Limited, 1 Charing Cross, LONDON, S.W.1.

Last edited:
AAAAH! Buy a cheapie viscount or something if you want to hone in the case! Those are very scarce, fairly valuable, and the case/mech is fragile (I have one of the first imperials with the popular innards and it is currently down due to the gear on one side literally disintegrating).. Amazing score! You hardly ever see them anymore let alone so clean. Handle is seldom seen either.

Last edited:
AAAAH! Buy a cheapie viscount or something if you want to hone in the case! Those are very scarce, fairly valuable, and the case/mech is fragile (I have one of the first imperials with the popular innards and it is currently down due to the gear on one side literally disintegrating).. Amazing score! You hardly ever see them anymore let alone so clean. Handle is seldom seen either.

So your telling me I am going to have to buy ANOTHER razor? Well that shouldnt be too hard at the rate Ive been going. Ill have to keep my eyes open for a later model. I actually had no clue it was that rare. So I guess 20 bucks was a pretty good price? :) Thanks for all the info guys, I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:
You can find them on the 'bay easily. If you're patient, you'll find a cheapie. The blades are interchangeable, I believe. Also, I have some parts if you need.

Ive already started my search. SWMBO is going to kill me. However, should I die, I shall die well groomed.:blush:

Top Bottom