What's new

New Guy with a "New Guy" Question.

I tried a small test run with my DE shaver tonight. I got a little razor burn, but the shave was a little bit worse then when I used my cartridge razor BUT it was just a small test run, and my lather was not very thick. My question is Should I replace my razor blade if I drop my razor on the floor. I did this after I shaved tonight. I would think the safety bars would protect the razor, but I really don't know. I am using a Canadian Gillette Fat Handle Tech DE Safety Razor. Thanks!!

If you cant see any damage then it should be fine but blades are cheap these days so just pop a new blade in. Remember though no pressure and think about the blade angle, thats usualy the reason for razor burn.

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

If you are having irritation, try a shallower angle of attack so that you get more cutting and less scraping.

If you cant see any damage then it should be fine but blades are cheap these days so just pop a new blade in. Remember though no pressure and think about the blade angle, thats usualy the reason for razor burn.
+1 on that blade angle. That's what usually leads to "burn."

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

If you are having irritation, try a shallower angle of attack so that you get more cutting and less scraping.
+1 on that shallow angle. All of the vintage Gillette razors use a fairly shallow angle.

BTW, Welcome to the B&B. Glad you're here.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You should be able to see any damage, but what the heck - blades are cheap.

Razor burn in the beginning is almost always a result of imperfect blade angle (which takes some practice) and too much pressure (which you can fix immediately).

Good luck.

Pop in a new blade, lather up and find your correct angle. Ease up on the pressure too. You don't have to get every wisker on the first pass, just let the blade do the work. What kept me from using too much pressure my first time was the fear that I stood a good chance to shave off a layer of skin :blushing:

You should be able to see any damage, but what the heck - blades are cheap.

Razor burn in the beginning is almost always a result of imperfect blade angle (which takes some practice) and too much pressure (which you can fix immediately).

Good luck.

+1
Welcome to the club!

I tried a small test run with my DE shaver tonight. I got a little razor burn, but the shave was a little bit worse then when I used my cartridge razor BUT it was just a small test run, and my lather was not very thick. My question is Should I replace my razor blade if I drop my razor on the floor. I did this after I shaved tonight. I would think the safety bars would protect the razor, but I really don't know. I am using a Canadian Gillette Fat Handle Tech DE Safety Razor. Thanks!!
Are you saying you dropped the actual RAZOR or RAZORS BLADE?

Gotta agree with those who say any damage you should be able to see, but also with those who say not to take a chance and just toss the blade. With the cheap cost of blades why chance it, after all it is your face we're talking about here.

And welcome from me.

The lesson here is wear pants or a towel when you shave - you never know what you might damage a blade on if you drop your razor.

Welcome! It is not uncommon that the first shave without canned goo will not be the best as it takes some practice to get the right lather.

Be careful about dropping Canadian Techs:

$IMG_1496.jpg

Top Bottom