What's new

What's the most aggressive razor you have used?

this vintage French Le Coq, with its relatively flat, thin cap and open comb, makes my Joris and the Fatip seem timid in comparison.
I have to really concentrate on keeping the angle of attack low in order to minimize collateral damage!

proxy.php

My Universal full-blade shavette is a lot more aggressive than the 2011 Muhle R41 because the blade is more eminent, and I cannot afford to make any mistakes when I am using it. The 2011 seems really very tame in comparison, but I have hundreds of shaves in on that razor. The shavette will probably seem pretty tame to me after another couple of years using it.

As soon as you do your first stroke , you will know that the R41 is a different monster . It demands respect and constant attention. I have had some of my best shaves with mine but I currently have it on the BST. It is not because of lack of performance, its because I shave at 4am. I have been bitten more than once and reminded of my lack of concentration. It is too aggressive for me. But that's just me. You might really enjoy yours like so many others on this forum. Good luck with yours. I hope you enjoy it .

I had two FaTip Grandes and got rid of them both. The finishes didn't bother me and I did get some great shaves with them but also a lot of irritation. With practice I believe I could have mastered them but they were very aggressive. What I didn't like was the very poor blade alignment and having to futz around during assembly to get it together nice and even. I have at least three Gillette Long Comb NEWs that load the blade evenly and feel very smooth and provide just as close a shave as the FaTips did.

I have at least three Gillette Long Comb NEWs that load the blade evenly and feel very smooth and provide just as close a shave as the FaTips did.<<snippet>>

That's been my experience. Technique accounts for so much really. Super aggressive razors might work well for some, but all that's needed is enough aggressiveness to get the results that are desired.

Not really a razor but I shaved with a Shi ba zi Chinese chef /cleaver. For about 2 months.
With a slight convex edge at approx 20k grit(newspaper black) and final polish on bare leather, it worked pretty well.
Scary though.

Gillette NEW head, with a tech plate. I end up using the tech handle too, since it's heavy.

Makes for a big gap, and it mows down stubble fast.

The R41. Needs short strokes and a light touch, never a knick with a sharp blade. I'm more prone to knick with milder razors.

I was amazed at the bite behind the Fasan Double Slant (red dot), it might be too much for me and I might end up getting rid of this beast!

For me the Futur is VERY aggressive, even set on 1. YMMV. It's my weekend razor.
A Merkur 37c slant is my daily weapon, just a tad milder than the Futur.

Top Bottom