What's new

Most comfortable handle?

Beehives are the most comfortable to me. I like V-L's beehive and Omega's smaller diameter beehive handles. The grooves in the handles and their profiles make for a comfortable hold.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
For me, anything with a similar contour to the Shavemac 944 handle. The way I hold my brush works perfectly with a handle like that.

26mm L7

proxy.php

Two handles stand out as the most comfy for me: the Omega 49 and the Muhle HJM. I think the Omega 49 is actually my ideal handle. It's large enough to fit my big meaty claws, and the shape is just right with a bulbuous bottom and a tapered top. The Omega 49 handle is also plastic, so no worry about wood cracking, and very light. The Muhle HJM is similarly made of plastic, similarly is larger at the bottom and smaller at the top, and comes with added rubber grippy bits for extra comfort. I dislike heavy handles, especially metal and chrome, because they make lathering for more than a few seconds uncomfortable and cause my hands to cramp up.

I've found that most brush handle designs are upside-down for me. I like the bigger part on the bottom, but so many handles are smaller at the bottom and bigger at the top. Obviously designs vary widely, but I can't tell you how many brushes I've held and used where I thought "this would be really nice if it was just flipped the other way around".

If you face lather I strongly vote for an Eagle shape of some sort. There are plenty of variations, and many are comfortable. Brushes 1, 2, 4, and 5 (from left to right) all fit they type. I'd say the second from the left is the most comfortable.

attachment.php

I personally love the M&F Chief handle shape. I had some custom brushes done in that style. Here is what I did...$final brushes.jpg
I have decided that custom is probably the way to go for me. I was able to not only pick out the shape I want, but also the color. Also, the knots from The Golden Nib are actually very nice. I was able to get these brushes for less that $200 total. These handles fit my hands real nice and I have above average size hands.

My top three handle designs in terms comfort would be the M&F Chief, Simpson QEII Jubilee and this custom made for me by Alpster:

$photo (3).jpg

It's not completely clear from this photo, but the handle is cork. Very comfortable.

I personally love the M&F Chief handle shape. I had some custom brushes done in that style. Here is what I did...View attachment 487577
I have decided that custom is probably the way to go for me. I was able to not only pick out the shape I want, but also the color. Also, the knots from The Golden Nib are actually very nice. I was able to get these brushes for less that $200 total. These handles fit my hands real nice and I have above average size hands.
Where did the brushes come from so cheap? From what I've seen most of the brush vendors run around the same at 85-95 shipped when you include the knot for a custom order. The only ones I've seen for less were premade and on sale

Where did the brushes come from so cheap? From what I've seen most of the brush vendors run around the same at 85-95 shipped when you include the knot for a custom order. The only ones I've seen for less were premade and on sale

I don't know if he hooked me up with an extra good deal or that is his standard pricing. I got them from a hobbyist/vendor here on B&B. His name is Matt and he goes by "deruitem". The knots I believe are two band finest. If I get another brush in the future I'll probably try to go through him again.

If you face lather I strongly vote for an Eagle shape of some sort. There are plenty of variations, and many are comfortable. Brushes 1, 2, 4, and 5 (from left to right) all fit they type. I'd say the second from the left is the most comfortable.

attachment.php

That brush all the way to the left!!! :w00t:

Top Bottom