What's new

Just completed my first straight shave

Well, I just used my straight for the first time. Just did 2 passes with the grain on the cheeks.

Wow, I could not even feel the blade cutting but I sure could hear it. Like toast being buttered. Is that normal or is my angle off.

I will definitely keep practicing. I have been shaving with a DE for about 3 years. Since I was pifed a Rolls a few months ago and liked it, I became interested in straight razors. I purchased one from the BST, along with the Whipped Dog poor man's strop kit.

My first thought when I put the blade to my face was 'My god this blade is long', But as I began to shave my apprehension passed. Strangely, I did better with my left hand then I did with my right. ( I am right handed).

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave. My wife is still convinced that I am going to cut my head off with this thing. :lol:

Welcome to the straight razor club. I'm a newbie also. There is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from learning this skill. Keep us updated on your progress.

Congrats! Sounds like a fine first experience. I was pretty amazed at how fast off-hand shaving became comfortable. Keep us updated on how everything is going.

The buttering toast sound is normal for a full hollow blade. Some people love it and some hate it. Heavy grind razors, 1/4 hollow etc tend to be much more quiet.

The buttering toast sound is normal for a full hollow blade. Some people love it and some hate it. Heavy grind razors, 1/4 hollow etc tend to be much more quiet.
1+ and welcome to the club
I love my straights my DE's sit on a shelf now I never use them

Top Bottom