What's new

The Art of Shaving store.

Every once in awhile it would be nice to walk into a shop that's devoted to our hobby. Being stuck in the Great White North, the chances of that happening for me are somewhere between Jack and Slim...and Jack rode out of town long ago. I've never been into AoS, but my wifely unit has (Walden Galleria, Buffalo) and she brought home some nice toys for me, including a brush stand, a sample of the pre shave oil and a very nice badger brush. She did bellyache about the price of the brush, and I commiserated with her as I tore into the packaging.
Maybe next week when we're on holiday, I'll suggest we shuffle off to Buffalo, so she can cash in her soon-to-expire Kohls coupons, and I'll pop into AoS for some soaps...or just for the pleasure of going into a shop devoted to my hobby. Something we dumb Canucks are deprived of.

+1, Just enjoy the cool store focused around wet-shaving. I happen to love their soaps. They last forever and lather with ease. Their aftershave balm is great too. You don't have to buy anything that you know you can find a better price on. That's true with any retailer you walk in to. I don't get why guys go in there just to test the salesman's knowledge or to laugh at a price. Every time I have been in an AOS store I've had good conversations and the sales rep openly admitted he didn't know some of the things I mentioned. Sure there are high prices on some items and inexperienced sales employees in a few of their locations, but to say that this isn't common in a retail environment would be a lie. Like I said, just enjoy that there are stores like this to look around in while your wife drags you around the mall. :lol:

I usually only go into the store to buy as well, and I chat with the salespeople on occasion. I have never had a truly unpleasant visit. Most are willing to chat and learn something, and I've even chatted with a few who are wet shavers and have tried a variety of other products.

In addition to their creams/soaps/balms, the cologne's are nice, and alum block is pure aluminum sulfate (not potassium aluminum or Ammonium alum) and really works (at least for me). The hardware shy away from.

The store in Walnut Creek, CA, usually will have a plethora of nice looking younger women as sales staff. Always a bonus. When my wife isn't looking. :)

Last edited:
The ones I have been in were full of like-minded wetshavers who frequently referred clients to this very forum. And you can see the products and smell them and compare before you buy. But they are salesmen, and they are human, and they do make mistakes.

On another note, Great white northerners should expect to see a couple Canadian AOS opening next year. You can already find AOS products at some Sephora stores in CA as well.

What information from the well established throng, that B&M retailers charge more than online retailers?
:a6::a6::a6::a6::a6::a6::a6: Yeah OK, thanks, we got it!

Actually, I think the thread has been very well balanced. Several replies made note of the fact that the AOS software is a good product at a decent value. I even agreed with the notion that it nice to be able to handle merchandise before a purchase, and implying that, to some, this "value add" is more than worth extra cost. My statement was addressing the fact that a new member was asking questions and the gentlemen of B&B were giving comprehensive, well balanced answers, as should be expected for someone new to our forum.

Since you had quoted from three previous posts that touched on a variety of topics, I guess I didn't pick up the fact that you had focused on the "online cost is less than B&M cost" factor with your comment. My apologies if I misread.

Went to the AOS in Baltimore over the weekend for the 20 percent sale. The discount "does not" include any razors. I asked why and the salesperson said it was because of supply and demand. I don't know what she was talking about so I left it at that. I bought the new line of body soaps. 4 bars were $60 before the discount. I know I could've done better somewhere else, but it's entertaing going there a couple times a year just to snicker to myself about them. The salespeople are always courteous and willing to listen to you especially if they sense you know what you're talking about.

... The discount "does not" include any razors. I asked why and the salesperson said it was because of supply and demand. I don't know what she was talking about so I left it at that...

She meant that the razors were moving at the prices marked so there was no need to lower the price to move merchandise.

I tend to like hardware that has a bit of history behind it so the new stuff they offer isn't something I'm interested in. I don't find AOS software to be better than other products and I'm not afraid of trying something new without having tried it before so the AOS stores don't appeal to me.

I currently have both the unscented pre shave oil/cream/balm and the sandalwood pre shave oil and aftershave gel and cologne. I must say, I love the product. My wife has actually confiscated my scentless for her legs. The cream is among the best out there. The only reason I didn't pick up the sandalwood cream is because I already have a tub of truefitt & hill sandalwood. IMHO...best smelling sandalwood I've come across.

I found the shop in Las Vegas to have a knowledgeable salesman who, best I could infer, actually was a wet shaver. He gave me a demo on the back of my hand - showed me the oil, how to "face" lather, and I used some ASB as just lotion to complete the demo. The cream is a good performer, but it's the aftershave balm that I will return to their store for. Great long lasting scent, moisturizing, and soothing (which is great for newbies or anyone who has an overly aggressive shave). I don't use the oil they sold me, I didn't notice a difference.

In Chandler, AZ I overheard the salesman say things like "You must hang your brush upside down" which could have been a sales pitch for an $80 stand or it could be a guy who had no clue.

Last edited:
Since you had quoted from three previous posts that touched on a variety of topics, I guess I didn't pick up the fact that you had focused on the "online cost is less than B&M cost" factor with your comment. My apologies if I misread.

No apologies required and yes, my comment was directed towards shaving gear costing more at AOS boutique stores verses online suppliers while ignoring the value added service in B&M retailing or premium goods. Some people want the B&M experience when it comes to shaving gear, are happy to pay for it and should not be judged on how they choose to spend their legitimately earned money.

I overheard the salesman say things like "You must hang your brush upside down" which could have been a sales pitch for an $80 stand or it could be a guy who had no clue.

What is wrong about hanging your brush upside down? Professional painters do the same and why paint brushes have a hole in the handle. :confused1

$P7292159.jpg
$paintbrush1.jpg

Last edited:
Every once in awhile it would be nice to walk into a shop that's devoted to our hobby...

Still, most people will walk in, look around and then leave only to order off the Internet. Brick & mortar stores have a hard road today unless they specialize in something that is not Internet friendly to purchase.

Still, most people will walk in, look around and then leave only to order off the Internet. Brick & mortar stores have a hard road today unless they specialize in something that is not Internet friendly to purchase.

B&M stores have a hard time anyway. One the one hand, they are pushed out of the market by the large retailer chains. On the other hand, they must compete with internet prices.

The result? Every shopping street across Europe is starting to look the same. A pity? Yes. But we bring it onto ourselves.

What did you expect, Mach3 disposables?

Nobody "NEEDS" to shave, period!

What local Brick & Mortar (B&M) store did you buy your $35 Merkur from?
Its scandalous that the movie theatre charges $12 for a movie when you could wait and rent the DVD for less or that Starbucks charges $4 for a coffee when you can drink that liquid mud at your employers kitchen for free, or Disneyworld charges $100 park entrance fee when the local park is free.

All this AOS bashing is old.

I do shop at my local Art of Shaving Store and spend money there on soaps, creams, and after shave balms. But the bashing they get they definitely do deserve. For example:

This $90 plastic Fusion razor handle
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Blac...ult,pd.html?start=11&cgid=razors&navid=razors

This $175 mach 3 razor handle
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Engr...ault,pd.html?start=4&cgid=razors&navid=razors

This $150 Fusion handle
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Chel...ault,pd.html?start=2&cgid=razors&navid=razors

This $100 Fusion handle
http://www.theartofshaving.com/Fusi...ault,pd.html?start=4&cgid=razors&navid=razors

How about $14 for a 10 pack of Merkur Safety blades
http://www.theartofshaving.com/MERK...ault,pd.html?start=1&cgid=razors&navid=razors

I understand that they have to keep the lights on and all and I do appreciate a local store to shop at but I don't know how one can look one someone in the eyes and sell them a plastic cart razor handle for $90 and sleep at night.

Using your analogy...A movie theater charges you $12 for a popcorn that should likely cost $6 which is roughly double. Disney tickets are $100 which is expensive but those rides certainly do cost a lot to build so I do get it. The start up costs on something like that must be outrageous. Starbucks coffee is overpriced and should likely cost half of what it does.

However the $90 Fusion handle that is roughly the equal to the $6 handle I can pick up at the local WalMart is marked up 15 times what it should cost. You'd be hard pressed in giving me a large list of products with that type of markup. That would be like going to your local grocery store and grabbing a snickers bar at the checkout and it ringing up for $15. Eggs $45, Milk $30, I'm sure you get the idea. I'm just glad they don't sell groceries. So as far as the bashing of AOS goes they've certainly earned it. As far as it getting old goes I imagine it will continue as long as they are producing products like this and charging what they do. I imagine that if you paid $15 for a Snickers bar you'd complain to anyone that would listen for a very long time.

Duh! Look in the GFT or T&H stores in London, and check the prices for cartridge handles over there.
Or check any other high end store for shaving products.

What would you expect? AOS being magically different than those?

I hear nobody complaining that the GFT "hardware" is overpriced.

B&M stores have a hard time anyway. One the one hand, they are pushed out of the market by the large retailer chains. On the other hand, they must compete with internet prices.

The result? Every shopping street across Europe is starting to look the same. A pity? Yes. But we bring it onto ourselves.

+1

I think that these days a store really has to have some great added value to make it viable. Look at the thread on the WSJ article about the shops in London………………

That said, the AoS shops seem to be successful some how.

Duh! Look in the GFT or T&H stores in London, and check the prices for cartridge handles over there.
Or check any other high end store for shaving products.

What would you expect? AOS being magically different than those?

I hear nobody complaining that the GFT "hardware" is overpriced.

That's the beauty of it. I don't have to buy any of it and neither does anyone else. I have a friend that works as a manager at an AOS store and he told be that they want them to push the plastic razor handles but that he just can't do it. If people come in and want them then so be it, but he won't even suggest them as they are just a way overpriced $6 Gillette Fusion handle. He'll sell the soaps, creams and aftershaves all day long and feels good about it. Even the safety razors I can justify. Sure they're priced $10 to $15 over what you can likely get them for online but you do get to hold them in your hands and see what you think before buying them, and I do like having a local store I can shop at. This has a value to me that I will pay extra for.

If GFT and T&H are selling rebranded plastic fusion handles for $90 and up then I will go into the stores and buy soap, creams and aftershaves and walk right by the overpriced razor handles just as I do in AOS. I'm not saying not to shop at AOS or the other stores but just to buy the items that are excellent and a good value for what you get. Maybe just stay away from the sucker items like overpriced blades and $90 plastic cart handles.

I don't get the hate either. Who else is putting wet shaving front and center in malls across America? The shop here in Nashville is classy, the guy I spoke with was very enthusiastic about demoing product, and their software is nice.

I think they are missing out on a chance to sell replated/mint vintage gillettes though. I doubt that they have a lot of autonomy at the local level but if I was a manager at one I would totally be scoring some vintage razors to at least display and push the "history" of wet shaving. I bet nostalgia alone would net a few cutsomers a day.

Of course their model seems to be about appealing to the younger man, but still.

And I bet one day Gillette will put out a newly manufactured fatboy or something, sold ONLY at AoS stores, for $300 and everyone on this site will flock to them :p

They have a nice Thiers Issard straight razor with rams horn scales. The online price is expensive but actually cheaper than the ones I've priced in Europe.

I have to say, I have used, and enjoyed, the Ocean Kelp fragrance in Pre-shave gel, Shaving Cream, and After Shave balm. I get a good lather from the cream.

Yes, it is overpriced compared to others, but a good product.

And I agree. I have had great customer service when visiting their shops.

Top Bottom