What's new

First SE experience after 3 years of Wet Shavng

I have owned an unused Gem Clog-Pruf for a long time, but never used it until this week. I have used it twice so far and had two very enjoyable shaves. Here's my (early) take:

I had a one-day growth for my 1st shave and a 2-day growth for my 2nd shave. Finding the correct blade angle was easy, especially due to the very loud feedback and the angle of the head. I needed 3+ passes for a near-BBS shave which I also need with most DE razors.

The result was two very comfortable, essentially irritation-free near-BBS shaves. I think this razor is going into my rotation.

I used a different Gem carbon steel blade for each shave and both looked like they were beginning to rust as soon as I was done shaving - I need to get some stainless blades.

Excellent report! The SE door has been opened, maybe try another :biggrin1:

Yes, those carbons blades may begin to rust as soon as you are finished but they do give a nice shave. In my experience, stainless blades feel "rough" for the first use (or the first pass or so) but they smooth out.

Super! Well done for using your lovely Clog Pruf - it's a sound and capable razor, but I don't need to tell you that. The 1912 is the yardstick around which pretty much all SEs are compared. The Clog Pruf is considered a touch more aggressive than the 1912 - I think that's largely because the 1912 is almost impossible to get a bad shave from, the Clog Pruf can bite if you get it wrong.

It's a lovely razor ...

Now, if you're a geek. I am. There are two Clog Prufs! Count the "teeth" on yours. There are 13 tooth and 17 tooth versions available. Both shave absolutely the same! How can that be? :D

Wait till you try the stainless blades. The first shave may be a little rough but then next 4-5 will be smooth.

Mine has 13 teeth. Does that make it newer, older or just different? And as far as the 1912 is concerned, I have one of those here too, but I can't imagine using it with my big hands.

Last edited:
Congrats on the first SE shave! My SE's have nudged all my DE's out of my rotation, be careful it could happen to you!

Top Bottom