What's new

FP Friendly Notebook

I just ordered a Kaweco Liliput Brass FP with a medium nib (due to arrive Monday). I use a Moleskin Notebook at work, but have read that the paper is not FP friendly. Can anyone recommend a good notebook (Leuchtturm or Rhodia)?

Sigel may be difficult to find outside Europe though? They are based in Germany, and produce high quality notebooks. Even special editions and such.

I suspect you're right. The two readily available on line in Canada seem to be either Leuchtturm or Rhodia. I'll have to give them a try them.

Pity. I have tried the Leuchtturm (lighthouse) notebooks, and the Sigel books definitely are better quality for fountain pen users.

Did the ink bleed through in the Leuchtturm? From what I've briefly read, the Rhodia is a better product paper-wise (Clairfountaine paper). I'll have to give it a try. Thanks again for the feedback.

Did the ink bleed through in the Leuchtturm? From what I've briefly read, the Rhodia is a better product paper-wise (Clairfountaine paper). I'll have to give it a try. Thanks again for the feedback.
I got the Leuchttum Master, which is the larger version. The ink I have tried all bleeds through. Which is Noodler's Sequoia, Borealis black, . A fine nib with Nightshade does OK, but I will not be getting another one.

Staples' Sustainable Earth wire notebooks are very fountain pen friendly and less than $5. I wait for the periodic $2.00 or $2.50 sale.

I got the Leuchttum Master, which is the larger version. The ink I have tried all bleeds through. Which is Noodler's Sequoia, Borealis black, . A fine nib with Nightshade does OK, but I will not be getting another one.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Staples' Sustainable Earth wire notebooks are very fountain pen friendly and less than $5. I wait for the periodic $2.00 or $2.50 sale.

I'll keep an eye for that one too. I've had a read on-line now and think that Rhodia will be my choice for a hardcover notebook.

Last edited:
I live in the sticks and our selection of notebooks is limited to what one can find at the drugstore or order something nice off the net.
Of the ones I've bought in the CVS back to school section, Mead's 5 Star spiral bound notebooks have always been surprisingly good for fountain pen use.
Feathering is rare even from a 1.5 italic. Bleed through is also rare, I typically can use both sides of the paper.

Last edited:
I really like the ones from Franklin-Christoph. I have two Rhodia notebooks and I like the Clairefontaine paper better.

Clairefontaine products are excellent, but they make papers in several qualities, from low end school journals to high end stationery.
I don't know where the Clairefontaine paper in the Rhodia notebooks fits in their range.

For work the Red & Black (or Black & Red, I can't remember) get positive mention by Brian Goulet. Brazil-made Norcomm composition books at Walmart get positive mention around this forum. Ampad notepads (and I assume notebooks) get positive mention are around here also.

I like available and inexpensive (I didn't say cheap).

Top Bottom