What's new

Help me pick a new manual Can Opener

We are looking to ditch the cumbersome and clumsy electric can opener, that gets used twice a week and gets in the way of other kitchen small appliances.

I'd like to purchase a manual opener, under $25 CDN if possible and one that will last, no gimmicks, no lights, no bottle openers on it, just one that will work with cans and work every time.

So far I have it narrowed down to this one, but if anyone knows a "must have" one, please let me know.

Zyliss Lock-n-Lift Can Opener $15

$20366.jpg

I think mine is an OXO heavy duty. It works great but it will get dull eventually.

Unless you clean and oil your can opener it won't last very long. And even if you do, It will only last 2 years or so. Best advice I could give is to spend 10-20 bucks on something that feels sturdy in your hands, and buy a new one every year or so.

I do like the size, design simplicity and no frills of those little guys, but there is no way my wife will go for one of those.

He comes pretty close to slicing his finger at the 55sec mark when it slips and married to a nurse and having 6 & 8y old boys in the house, this won't fly.

I think mine is an OXO heavy duty. It works great but it will get dull eventually.

Unless you clean and oil your can opener it won't last very long. And even if you do, It will only last 2 years or so. Best advice I could give is to spend 10-20 bucks on something that feels sturdy in your hands, and buy a new one every year or so.

Yeah, it's probably one of those items that will get replaced every couple years so, so an iKea or Amazon one may just be in order. I wasn't sure if there was an opener to end all openers, like our Zeroll Ice Cream Scoop did for ice cream.
Thanks for all the quick suggestions.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I used a P-38 exclusively until I got married. I still use mine occasionally. Easier to store than anything else--drop it in a drawer.

I have a 38 on every keychain and in my locker at work and keep the 51 at the ranch and at home.
They are awesome in the deer blind on a can of beanie weenies or peaches.

I've had a version of this for nearly a decade I think, hasn't failed me yet.

OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener

I've had a version of this for nearly a decade I think, hasn't failed me yet.

OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener

Thanks Tony...that was another on the list when I did my Google "Top Manual Can Openers".

Luckily, Amazon.ca has most of these in the $15 range, so we'll likely just pick one, try it and if it doesn't work it will head into our camping kitchen.

I can't find my P38 anywhere. I have an opener that cuts the rim off. No sharp edges.

That may be my worry too with our kitchen gadget drawer :blushing:

I still may get one for camping, just because it looks like one of those iconic items that everyone should at least own or try.

I found that I could cut the rim off with a standard opener turned 90 degrees. And the first can I tried it on was...tuna. The only can I wanted rim on!

I have tried expensive Kitchen Aid ones, and other "higher end" ones. I agree with the P38 philosophy. With manual can opener, go for simplicity.

I think my wife is going out today, likely to pick up one of the Oxo or Zyliss ones...We have some Zyliss peelers that we like, so she's happy trying one of those.

eBay has some combo of the P38 & P51 for under $10 shipped, so I'll probably add that to our collection of gadgets

The arm on the Swing-a-way is very nice looking operation. Amazon has them for $12, so it may be an add to my next order too.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I had no idea there would be so many and so fast.

B&B comes through again. :thumbup1:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've got a swing away as a manual backup, and a Swiss army knife or 3 as well. Mostly I use an Oster . . . never fails but big gears that sometimes get the paper cover from the can into the food.

Top Bottom