What's new

First Try with Rolls Razor

I cleaned up the Rolls Razor I recently got and decided to try it this morning. I was a bit scared of it :scared: so I didn't get too close. It seemed to jump a bit, but I'm sure that is due to bad technique or bad angle. I was glad to have at least gotten it out of it's case though! Might try it again soon.

Forget the guard. Get the guard out of your mind. The guard is only there to save the blade edge when you drop it out of sheer fear!

Now, shave with the edge ... not the guard. You want a very shallow angle with the blade spine quite close to your face. Steep. Think of it as a piece of straight razor on a stick.

Have another go ... slow down, relax, breathe ... and enjoy it.

Think of it as a piece of straight razor on a stick.

Well, I've never shaved with a straight before! So that doesn't help so much. So I want the thick part of the blade (the back) almost against my face? That doesn't make sense to me. I though straights were used pretty much perpendicular to the face.

One second ...

... google ... "Rolls Razor Instructions" ...

proxy.php

Bingo! Point 5 and Figure D first page. How's that?

How's that? Impossible to read on my phone. I know I can google instructions. I was looking for firsthand knowledge with the razor. Thanks to all who helped.
One second ...

... google ... "Rolls Razor Instructions" ...

proxy.php

Bingo! Point 5 and Figure D first page. How's that?

No need, I'll just get this.
http://youtu.be/0uuGNwY8RdY
Also I brought the Rolls over to show an uncle. He bought one years ago in England when he was in the Navy. He said the other sailors didn't like it much because it made so much racket when honing & stropping it. In any case he has used all manner of shaving razors so he explained the method.

I'll get straight onto the phone companies and ask them to make a larger screen for you ...

Last edited:
I use my Rolls regularly. The blade should be very close to flat on your face. Did you get a chance to look at the article in the Wiki? It's pretty good.I'll answer any questions that I can for you.

I haven't checked it out yet but I will. Thanks!
I use my Rolls regularly. The blade should be very close to flat on your face. Did you get a chance to look at the article in the Wiki? It's pretty good.I'll answer any questions that I can for you.

Once it is really shave ready, those shave amazing. You need to stretch your skin like with a straight. The guard is more of a kickstand imo. That and a buffer to keep the edge from slapping the hone too violently in the case.

You probably know this already, but hone slowly and gently if you're going in the case. Don't slap the blade as you could damage blade or home.

Top Bottom