What's new

Slippery Handle: The Last Straw

I really like the Merkur Progress. I really do. I like everything about it except for the handle. It's inexcusably slippery. I've known this for a long time now and have always just dealt with it whenever I've used a Progress. I try to keep my hands fairly dry when shaving to ensure a good grip, but this morning things went awry. Just as I put the razor to my face I felt my grip on the razor begin to slip a little, and I felt a sharp sting in my cheek. The blade had dug in a little. There was no blood at first, but I knew that the blade had cut the skin. Sure enough, a minute later there was a long thin 1/8" cut in my cheek that began to bleed. It's not that bad. The styptic stopped the bleeding just fine, and by tomorrow it will probably be almost totally healed, but I really need to do something about the grip on this razor.

So, I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for improving the grip on this thing. So far I'm thinking of finding a pen grip that will fit over the handle, plastidip, or lining the facets of the handle with measured and cut strips of grip tape. My other option is to sell the razor and get one with decent grip. I've got a Wilkinson Sword Classic on the way from I.B. which is sure to have fantastic grip, but I've got to do something about this razor in the mean time.

Suggestions gents?

$uploadfromtaptalk1406381324838.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
What about one of the grippy sleeve thingies that are on pens; can you slide one of them onto the handle? I have a progress coming my way as well.

What about one of the grippy sleeve thingies that are on pens; can you slide one of them onto the handle? I have a progress coming my way as well.

I've been thinking about that option, Sam. The handle is faceted, and the pen grip probably won't conform to the facets allowing water and soap scum to build up under the grip.

Somebody had mentioned in another thread (and I wish I could remember to give proper credit) that they rubbed their finger tips on their alum block and it gave them a better grip on the razor without having to alter the razor itself. May be worth a shot.

Somebody had mentioned in another thread (and I wish I could remember to give proper credit) that they rubbed their finger tips on their alum block and it gave them a better grip on the razor without having to alter the razor itself. May be worth a shot.

This works exceedingly well.

Go to any Home Depot. Buy the size black insulation tubing that just slides on - cut to length. Hit it with a hair dryer or hold over a flame. It will shrink to a factory looking covering.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Go to any Home Depot. Buy the size black insulation tubing that just slides on - cut to length. Hit it with a hair dryer or hold over a flame. It will shrink to a factory looking covering.
... and if you do and it works, buy a few inches extra to send to me. PS. Mine is the short handle version. Yeah, I'm cheap that way! :lol:

Or any automotive store. It is called shrink tube. Comes in all colors and sizes for covering electrical connections.

I think I started that thread. I recommended taking your damp fingers and rolling your styptic pencil between your fingertips. Works exceptionally well.

I didn't know about the alum block since I don't use one. Others chimed in on that one.

Beats disfiguring your razor.

Heat shrink tubing is a no-go. It doesn't conform to the facets tightly and makes spongey spots at each facet actually making the grip less positive.

I don't have this issue with any of my razors (even my Merkur Futur) as my shaving hand never gets wet. But, I'd vote using the alum bar trick... if that fails then the best solution would be PlastiDip. Available in many colors, brush or spray can. I'd mask off the parts that don't need it e.g., adjustment knob and head and spray paint with the PD.

Ok, so try this as I've heard it works for using slippery razors in the shower.

Go to the local hardware store and pick up some of the black o-rings. I think they are used for sink faucets and such. Get a size with a slightly smaller inside diameter than the razor handle. Roll as many as you want onto the handle as you want to give it a textured bumpy surface. When you decide you want to sell the razor they come right off. Cost might be about 10 to 20 cents or so per o-ring. So the project will likely run you about $3.

The best part is that it doesn't alter the razor at all.

I'm not a shower shaver but I've heard that this has been done that that it works quite well. If this works for the shower it should certainly give you the grip you need for shaving at the sink.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear OP.

I also use a Progress now and then, along with a chrome & satin Futur and Feather.

None are slippery to my wet hands, I rinse the head and handle and fingers between passes and shave away.

Are your hands soapy? If so this would seem to me to be the problem not a wet handle or hand.

As always YMMV.

Top Bottom