What's new

Which SE blades?

Hi guys,

Just started using my Ever Ready 1912 again and have got few blades left. However, I'd like to know what blades would be suitable when re-ordering?? I have seen, and they have been advertised on B&B, the ones that can be used for DIY purposes such as scraping off paint etc. Are these ok, or would they be to harsh? Thanks in advance for any info. I'm in the UK, so Amazon will be my first port of call if these are good to use :001_smile

***UPADATE*** After some searching on the interweb I have seen that the SE blades used for DIY ARE NOT sharp enough, and are also NOT coated. I'd rather pay a bit more and get some proper blades that are coated and made for the job they were meant to do. In the UK, connaught shaving do a pack of 100 for around £15. Looking forward to some more immaculate shaves from my Ever Ready :thumbup1:

Hi guys,

Just started using my Ever Ready 1912 again and have got few blades left. However, I'd like to know what blades would be suitable when re-ordering?? I have seen, and they have been advertised on B&B, the ones that can be used for DIY purposes such as scraping off paint etc. Are these ok, or would they be to harsh? Thanks in advance for any info. I'm in the UK, so Amazon will be my first port of call if these are good to use :001_smile

Regular paint scraper blades will rust right away. Leave those for home projects.

I like the Gem PTFE coated blades in everything except my Valet. I'm still trying to find the best blade for thst one although it looks like it may be the Valet NOS like mjclark says.

The Gem stainless steel blades by Personna are very good and last longer than the carbon steel Treet blades. I shave with both and have no problems with the carbon steel Treets listed in the blade guide posted by BSAguy. You might want to give them both a shot.

Cheers Russ :thumbup1: All going well so far mate. I have brought through Connaught before and theyre really good. In the UK it's really either there or Amazon!

The PTFE coated ones from Connaught are my choice also. They are the only reason why I kept my SE razors and offer a really great shave, but as always, YMMV.

The paint scrapers are ground to what's called a "2 facet" edge. This is intended to be a little less sharp, but last longer for rugged chores. The shaving razor blades have a "3 facet" edge. They are also called "Keen". They are sharper, and less durable, than paint scrapers. I hope this helps, because different suppliers describe the blades differently. If you look for the "Gem" brand you should always be getting shaving razor blades. They are made by Personna, but watch out, because Personna makes the paint scrapers, too. I've already made this mistake, and now I have a 100 pack of paint scrapers.

CVS sells their own branded SE's but they are carbon steel and will rust quickly, for me after 1 shave rendering them useless and rough unless you have a way of soaking or storing them to prevent this from happening. If you are a one shave per blade guy, they will do fine.

+1 I picked up a pack of 100 earlier this year. Good prices and shipping (even to Canada).

Same here, just picked up 100 and they arrived the next day. Can't believe what an awesome shave I get from my Ever Ready. It's soooo close and comfortable :)

Top Bottom