What's new

Mosquitoes! I HATE THEM!

Based on my history of bites, I am apparently the Holy Grail of mosquitos. I have tried every natural product (garlic, B1, citronella, lemongrass, etc). Unless you want to make a fashion statement with netting, you can try repellents with Picaridin in them. It is "a synthetic compound first made in the 1980s. It was made to resemble the natural compound piperine, which is found in the group of plants that are used to produce black pepper. Picaridin has been widely used as an insect repellent in Europe and Australia, but has only been available in the United States since 2005." I like it because it is unscented/ it works/ it doesn't melt plastic like DEET. Did I mention it works. I can even stay outside and grill burgers on north Alabama summer evenings without a single bite. I buy the aerosol version of Repel's Tick Defense with picaridin at Target, but other companies make it too.

Spray the outside of your house a Permetherin. Its not good around cats (will kill them if its still wet) but should kill the mosquitos.
I used Permethrin to spray my clothing, luggage and bedding on a recent trip the Amazon. It worked very well. Deet was used on exposed skin. The only bug bites occurred from laying on top of my bed in the hotel (skeeters came into the room when we opened the door).

Light up the fire place and let the smoke do the rest $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411929612.955132.jpg

We have TONS in the south. Want to know my secret? I eat a giant clove of raw garlic a few hours before going hiking. Never get bitten, because I apparently taste like garlic to them ;)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We have TONS in the south. Want to know my secret? I eat a giant clove of raw garlic a few hours before going hiking. Never get bitten, because I apparently taste like garlic to them ;)

I would warn you against hiking in the woods alone, but somehow I suspect that's your only option.

I have been using a product called a Mosquito Magnet for over 8 years. It uses propane and electricity to emit carbon dioxide (what you exhale, which attracts mosquitos) and has a vaccum system to suck them into a netted area.
A Mosquito Magnet is good for 1/2 to one acre.
Once you kill off a hatch of moquitos, there is a second hatch to kill off and you are pretty much problem free.
Mosquitoes are territorial. The time period between hatches is 21 days. All the information is on the Mosquito Magnet website.

This. And it works. However I usually keep a crushed clove in a Mason jar with water in it on my back porch. When ever I need repellent, I just spread the water over exposed skin and presto, no mosquitoes. Refill jar after use and your back in business for the next go round.

Daaaaaaamit. It's only February and one is hunting me down right now. Killed it's sibling. :a33:Arghh! Have a feeling it's going to be a bad year for them.

I actually have some pet mosquitoes. They are quite cute actually. Difficult to train through. They keep landing on me and sucking my blood. :001_rolle

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I actually have some pet mosquitoes. They are quite cute actually. Difficult to train through. They keep landing on me and sucking my blood. :001_rolle

You just need to train them correctly.

"Come here, girl, come get some blood" usually works well. They'll be following your commands in no time.

I second Bamarambler's recommendation of picaridin. Make sure to get the 20% strength- Natrapel and Sawyer's both produce these. Consumer Reports found picaridin to be as effective as DEET on mosquitoes and perhaps even better against ticks.

Water, H20, get rid of it and you get rid of them. Flower pots, pet bowels, trash, anything that holds water get rid of it or dump it every day. if you can't get rid of it use the Bt tablets that are sold for mosquito control , If there are small fish in the water don't worry about it. The mosquito control people main thing is to control the species that carry the worst problems. Wear white or lite color clothing. Yes garlic will help. The sprays are to repel, not kill. All Chemicals for mosquito control are restricted, you cannot legally buy them.

Top Bottom