What's new

Cast Iron Corn Bread

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've got to admit that every time I see the title of this thread I think of something possibly made by Ellie May Clampet that you would have to use a chisel and hammer to cut up. You may remember her.
$Ellie.jpg
Yeah she was born in 1933 so probably at 81 there are a fair few pics not so flattering . . . please let me keep my childhood memories.

Here is a recipe that some dude shared a while back. I really do like this one. Cheese, bacon bits, and jalapeno peppers. Rob Rainsford was teaching at the time at George Brown college in Toronto . . . . so I guess this would be Northern food?

Ah, cornbread. That first recipe looks a good one, and variations are possible. Notice the 1/2 cup of sugar: much cornbread is sweet, expectedly so for us, but some might think the sweetness off. I agree with the idea of melting a little shortening in the bottom of the cast-iron pan and then pouring in the batter. Makes a fabulous crust.

My mom would often serve hot cornbread at breakfast, with warm maple syrup. No idea where she got that bright idea, but it was GOOD.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Some nice lookin' cornbread pics. SWMBO did some last night. She doesn't do a recipe, just throws stuff together.

Attachments

• $001.JPG
    $001.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 135
Made a batch tonight loosely following VerbaVolant's recipe from page one. Yes, there is a chunk missing, and yes, that chunk is in my belly. Came out great, but next time I may add just a bit more sugar.

$image.jpg

We make hot Cornbread using Rotel and Cheese , Sweet with Brown sugar, and meat and veggies with 3/4 cooked hamburger and a drained can of whole kernel corn.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just put this recipe in the oven about 15 minutes ago. I also made some cheater chili- basically Carroll Shelby spiced up with onions, extra cayenne, and kidney beans added.
Hmm, this slipped of the front page. I am about to mix up VerbaVolant's recipe. Making some black eyed peas (see the What's Cooking thread)

Ingredients:
1½ cup of Cornmeal
1 cup of flour
½ cup of Sugar
2 tsp of Baking Powder
½ tsp of Baking Soda
½ tsp of Salt
1½ cup of Milk (or Buttermilk if you have any)
¼ cup of Unsalted Butter, melted (I use whatever I find around: oil, margarine, lard)
2 Eggs
¼ cup of Shortening

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have seen advertisements. But I've never actually seen one.

Do you own that? How well does it work?

I don't own one. I think I'll see if the wife can include one in my stocking for Christmas.

Let's see what this guy thinks:

Last edited by a moderator:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't have one but do have a chain mail mesh glove.
Never used it to clean a pan but even if they work I would think keeping the chain mail clean may be your next problem.
Maybe I should use the glove a few times to see.

I just use a nice flat steel spatula, a little water to deglaze and some paper towels. Rarely need more than that. Rarely ever wash it in the sink - be need.

The trick is to clean it immediately while it's still hot. Deglaze and be amazed!

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I don't have one but do have a chain mail mesh glove.
Never used it to clean a pan but even if they work I would think keeping the chain mail clean may be your next problem.
Maybe I should use the glove a few times to see.

So you have a chain mail glove? What underground club are you a member of? :laugh:

I just use a nice flat steel spatula, a little water to deglaze and some paper towels. Rarely need more than that. Rarely ever wash it in the sink - be need.

The trick is to clean it immediately while it's still hot. Deglaze and be amazed!

This is what I do too. Sometimes it needs more though.

Top Bottom