What's new

Cast Iron Corn Bread

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My skillet is now in oven with cornbread batter. I admit I cheat, but a Trader Joes mix is pretty good, includes whole kernels, and most importantly, my daughter eats it.
Never done it in cast iron before, 35 minutes to go...

Nothing wrong with cheating. I prefer Jiffy myself. :)

Maybe 5 minutes overdone. Got thumbs up from the girl :)
"Moist in the middle but crunchy on the outside. I like it.

Looks delicious, I actually prefer it crispy like that.

1 egg beaten
1/4 cup veggie oil
1-3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups corn meal.

Stir well by hand. Not too much. Not too little.

450 degrees 22 minutes. Pre heat the skillet with the oven. Oil it well beforehand.

Batter will sizzle when you pour it in. Turn your skillet a time or two while it bakes.

When it starts getting golden on top, turn it over and it pops right out in your palm. Then plate it.

I put a dab of butter on mine and enjoy.

Cast iron is great for all sorts of cooking.

Addicted bad to peanut oil fried chicken. Lol
beautiful!
salivating over those pics...

The important parts are to use use a cast iron skillet , full fat buttermilk and bacon grease...

Wow! My kinda guy.

Lard will work in a pinch, however. Lard has gotten a bum rap over the years compared to hydrogenated vegetable shortening, IMHO.

Plus, I find that all buttermilk is not created equal.

My cornbread hit a new level of goodness when I tried Marburger gourmet buttermilk.

No other brand will do now. Hard to find but worth the effort.

$keep-calm-and-eat-cornbread-2.png

Thanks to VerbaVolant I've successfully tested the cornbread waters. I did make a small mistake and burn my tongue because I couldn't wait to try it. :)

Will definitely be making this again with many different variations. Thanks everyone for your tips and encouragement.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406884442.044605.jpg

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Thanks to VerbaVolant I've successfully tested the cornbread waters. I did make a small mistake and burn my tongue because I couldn't wait to try it. :)

Will definitely be making this again with many different variations. Thanks everyone for your tips and encouragement.

View attachment 478883

Gorgeous!
Did it taste as good as it looked?

I love to make any casserole in the cast iron skillet. Yes I said love. Also it's great to be able to sear something on the stove then pop it in the oven to finish. You can get the AD with cast iron as well. You've got it bad when your pans have names.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That may be my dinner tonight.
Both sides of the family coming Sunday so there will be cornbread.

Top Bottom