What's new

Pipe repair - what is typical cost of fitting a new vulcanite stem to a pipe?

It all depends on what you need done. I'm a DIY kind of guy so if there's a repair I need done on one of my pipes I'll do it myself.

That being said I've heard great things about Peterson's US official repair shop, which I believe is somewhere in Florida. There are also a bunch on the east coast, but the names of them escape me at the moment.

It'll run you about 30 bucks for a new vulcanite stem from Walker, great quality work, the turnaround is pretty slow though.

I also used Walker Briar Works and was very pleased with the results. Yes he does have a backlog so the service is not fast, but communication was excellent and up front. He tells you exactly how long your wait should be, and he does top notch work.

I would definitely use his service again, John. Highly recommended.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Thanks for all the suggestions! I did find a guy I plan on using, partly because he is an unabashed user of Captain Black and drinks Folgers coffee! This video of his sold me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITrM2L7UzJA#t=410

He just chats a bit in the beginning, talking about a favorite gourd calabash and Captain Black, so if you want to skip to why I'm going to use him, go right to 4:00. He does before and after shots of 3 eBay pipes that are simply incredible! Because of that video, I picked up a no-stem Stanwell Gilt Edge on the 'Bay yesterday which I am going to send him. By the way, the stem tightened up on that pipe with smoking, it's not really loose, but I'll send that one in for a buffing with the Stanwell. Here is a before shot.

$Stanwell1.jpg

This project will get its own thread later, but it will be a while as the bowl is coming from Spain. In the meantime, here is a Google image that shows why I bought that thing.

$002-034-6713.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Walkers can probably reproduce the stem markings, if that is a consideration for you.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It is a consideration, but the only place I am going to use unless he botches this is www.briarville.com. I've just become really taken with his personal style and his before/after work. I've got lots of suggestions now for other craftsmen to go to, but I'm giving Ric a try. I'll post a before and after on the Gilt Edged.

Thanks all!

It is a consideration, but the only place I am going to use unless he botches this is www.briarville.com. I've just become really taken with his personal style and his before/after work. I've got lots of suggestions now for other craftsmen to go to, but I'm giving Ric a try. I'll post a before and after on the Gilt Edged.

Thanks all!

I look forward to seeing the result. I watch ric on YouTube and he seems to do good work.

Top Bottom