What's new

Plain water laps on a Jnat

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Are you guys doing water only laps after Tomo slurry? If so, how many?

Last edited:

David

Cool. I was playing around with water only laps looking for visual differences and noticed that it set me back a bit. I have one stone that's soft-ish I'll see how they work on it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Some yes, some no, you just have to try. But in general harder stones don't play well without some slurry to lubricate; they skip and skate burnishing the edge. The best candidates are softer and fine, which is not as common as hard and fine or soft and coarser.

Cheers, Steve

I don't see burnishing as the issue behind losing the edge on harder stones, I find whatever that odd polishing/burnishing is to be an asset actually.
Sorta like what happens on an incredibly hard Ark; and they're not known for dulling edges.

If the stone is super hard - and it's not playing with water-only laps - try relapping it until it's stupid-flat.
That' can help. But - it might not. Depends.
Or - ones technique can be improved - that usually does the trick.

I don't even dilute my tomo slurry... Anytime it gets too think I just rinse and start a new slurry... Especially on hard stones like most finishing stones

I always finish on water on three of my finishing Jnats. On the fourth, I finish on very thin tomo slurry, but touch up on water.

Of those, three are hard stones, one is soft. The one I don't go to water when honing on is the slowest of the hard stones. The reason I don't is that it doesn't abrade enough to make going to water worthwhile. It can improve the edge, but it's inefficient at it. It does abrade enough to use as a touch up stone with water, however. The soft stone gains less on water than the other two hard stones do, but enough I still find it worthwhile to do a fair number of laps on water.

How much work I do on water depends on the razor. I know the 12 laps that barber suggested years ago isn't close to enough in my case. I usually start around thirty and top out in the range of a hundred, I'd guess. I've gone as much as several hundred on the stone I don't finish on water (was still improving after 500, but at that point it became an issue of "Yes it can, but would you ever really want to?")

Last edited:

David

What is "set back" about a water only edge?

The feel?
The sharpness?
In my case, the sharpness. I finished on tomo slurry and got a HHT 2-3. I wanted to see the visual change water only laps would make through the loupe so I did maybe 30 xstrokes...lost the HHT

My j nat finished with water is no probs I go from slurry to water with quite a thew strokes on water. Check bevel at 60 x mag and I don,t see any scratches just fine misty edge, shave is very smooth, other j nats in the past have been crisp with water.

gary

Depends on the stone. Not all that often though. When I do, it is usually only a few laps (maybe 10-15 if I had to guess).

I hardly ever finish with just clear water, I like the edge left from a thin worked out slurry. I have used clear water strokes but I found that the polishing effect affected more of the face of the bevel rather then the cutting edge of the bevel unless I added tape to the spine then this brought edge directly into contact with the stone. The edge was not all that much sharper, just brighter.

Alx

Water only rarely happens because I dont typically finish on a stone that I like doing water only laps on. I find it works better on stones in the lower hardness range. Too hard a stone and I dont like the shave feel. Just a personal preference for sure.

Top Bottom