What's new

Vintage Star Double Edge Blades

I recently acquired a variety of different vintage blades manufactured by American Safety Razor. It included some PAL, BlueStar, Treet, and a bunch of Star blades. The odd thing about them is the wrappers on all 32 Star blades were inside out. The glue spot is in the right place and it appears to be a factory mistake. Has anyone else run across this before. was this a common thing or a rarity?

A couple pictures to illustrate.

$IMG_1561[1].jpg$IMG_1562[1].jpg$IMG_1563[1].jpg$IMG_1564[1].jpg

I have a couple of hundred ASR late-60's blades that have Personna Wrappers inside-out and are sealed. I think they are most likely bulk manufactured blades. They came in a cardboard box. I guess they could be seconds, but can't think of any use where anyone would buy them, even for non-shaving uses.

Thanks.

I'm 99.9% sure those were sold by ASR to the U.S. Military. Besides the Stars, I've seen 70's Persona blades, also made by ASR, in bulk boxes at military surplus auctions and on ebay from military surplus sellers and all of them had the wrappers on backwards.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm 99.9% sure those were sold by ASR to the U.S. Military. Besides the Stars, I've seen 70's Persona blades, also made by ASR, in bulk boxes at military surplus auctions and on ebay from military surplus sellers and all of them had the wrappers on backwards.
I agree. I've received military surplus Personna with the wrappers inside out.

I agree. I've received military surplus Personna with the wrappers inside out.

Do yours have the weird blue coating on the blade? I've been curious about those ones. They have some at a local military surplus place here but they want way to much for them. If I knew they were good, I'd probably buy a box just to try them, even if they're overpriced.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Do yours have the weird blue coating on the blade? I've been curious about those ones. They have some at a local military surplus place here but they want way to much for them. If I knew they were good, I'd probably buy a box just to try them, even if they're overpriced.

I can't remember. It was a long while ago when I used it. If they are personna they are more than likely good blades. I've never used a bad personna blade.

Thanks pancake and toothpick. Good info to know. These blade also are blued. At least the two I broke the glue on to look at are. The wrapping is all the same but the blades in those two are different. The one is a star as the wrapper would indicate and the other is a GEM.

Top Bottom