What's new

Thoughts on a "plan" for travel

So I'm going to Europe in late September into October. Going to Germany to Turkey, and a Black Sea cruise with stops in Eastern Europe. High temps are supposed to be 55-65. Lows probably in high 40s, low 50s.

I'll be in Europe for nearly 3 weeks, so I need more casual clothes, and only have so much bag space.

We'll be going on day tours, potentially walking alot. We're on a cruise for a part of it, so I'd like something in my bag that is a bit dressier for dinner, but probably short of a suit.

Just wonder if there were any thoughts from travel veterans for versatile pieces to look at. Could use just about anything. Shoes, pants, shirts, jackets.

Looking to be comfortable, "blend in" to a degree in Germany and Eastern Europe (my face already fits... So clothes that don't scream American is the second part), but also look good. Appreciate the input.

I am not sure about Eastern Europe, but in Germany in the fall, most people will be wearing jeans with long-sleeve button-down shirts (short sleeve button-down shirts are rarely worn) with a thin sweater. Towards mid- to late-October, some may start wearing jackets and light scarfs. I think the best way to describe this would be New England preppy, with some European flair thrown in (the scarf :lol:).

I would avoid all of the standard travel suggestions that most people make. Cargo pants, shorts, giant backpacks, baseball caps, sneakers, etc. all scream "American". You can always tell which planes came from the US by the way the people dress (the shorts are the usual dead giveaway). There is nothing wrong with that, but you did mention that you want to blend in.

Also, everyone speaks English, so leave the phrase books at home. We Germans like to brag with our English, so most will not even be willing to speak German with you :lol:

Have fun! September and October is a great time to visit Europe because schools are back in session, so most cities will not be busy.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Lots of good into here:

http://www.onebag.com/

You can (and should) avoid shorts with "travel pants" instead. Dressier than jeans, and much easier to clean (wash 'em in your hotel room in the evening, hang to dry, and they're dry by morning.) Maybe a light tan pair for daytime walking and a darker grey one for evenings.

Generally, in terms of cleaning your clothes, cotton will be your enemy ... takes forever to dry. Good synthetics will serve you much better, and since you can wash them in the evening and have them ready for the next morning, that really cuts down on the amount of clothes you have to carry. They also tend not to need ironing after washing, unlike cotton.

Just avoid those dreaded pants with the zippers halfway down the leg to "convert" them into shorts.

A white or light blue shirt, tan pants ... they'll take you a long way. Just think "dress like the Professor" and you are fine.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Besides ... chicks dig it!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Another great resource is the one bag one world website.
Some random thoughts- wear one outfit. Pack 3-4 outfits more and drive on. I use ebag brand cube organizers with great success.
All clothes should coordinate with each other for maximum interchangabilty. You will have to wash or send it out and that is ok. Frankly, you could probably carry on and not even have to check a bag. I would add a dark sportcoat and one tie to the list, wearing the sportcoat on the plane. I might change the softshell jacket listed below to something a bit longer in length and I would consider buying a small umbrella when I landed. I do not wear synthtic fabrics on the plane itself but otherwise think they are a great travel clothes strategy.

Below is what I took for a 5 day business casual trip to SF. It all fit in a 12 x 18 x 8 bag under the seat in front of me.

PACKING LIST24-28 JULY 2012 KC TO SF DIRECT
WEATHER- MID60S TO LOW 50S AND WINDY.
PLANES-OUTBOUND-CRJ700 (Regional Jet) RETURN-CJR700 (Regional Jet)
CARRY ON BAG- GOODHOPE BAG (12 x 18 x 8)
DAYPACK/CABINBAG- GREY CIVITA (stored in main bag until actually on plane)

WEAR-On Plane
1 COTTON/WOOL UW
1 WOOL PANT
1 COTTON/WOOL SHIRT
1 WOOL SWEATER
1 PR WOOLSOCK
1 PR SHOES (BLK LEATHER LACE UP)
1 WATCH
1 GLASSES
1 BELT
ID
TRAVEL CASH
FLASHLIGHT
PEN
NOTEBOOK

PACKED IN DAYPACK AND PLACEED INSIDE MAIN BAG
(Not deployed until on plane)
KINDLE(DEPLOY KINDLE AS SOON AS SEATED)
KINDLE CASE
KINDLECHARGER
KINDLE EARPHONES
TRAVEL DOCS
CREDENTIAL (PASSPORT)
WALLET
PERSONAL PHONE
WORK PHONE
FLASHLIGHT
EXTRA BATTS(CR123)
H20 BOTTLE
SPORK
FIRST AIDKIT

MAIN PACK/
GOODHOPE BAG

GAMMA AR SOFT SHELL (SYNTHETIC-WEAR AND STOW OVERHEAD IF A SPACE HOG IN BAG)
BLK LIGHTWEIGHT GLOVES
FLLECE BEENIE HAT
SUNGLASSES IN CASE
EXTRAGLASSES IN CASE
PHONE CHARGER
BUSINESSCARDS CASE
BAG FOR CHARGERSAND POWER CORDS W/ ZIP TIES
SMALL DAYPACK (CIVITA OR EDDIE BAUER STRING PACK) (Deployed when on plane)

2 LT WEIGHT PANTS
2 L/S BUTTONUP SHIRTS
2 S/S WOOL T-SHIRTS
1 L/S WOOL T-SHIRT

1FLEECE/MERINO SWTR

3 SOCKS
3 UW
WORK OUT(WO) SHORTS
WO SHIRT
WO SOCKS
WO SHOES
SLEEP SHIRT
SLEEP SHORTS

3-1-1 (CLEAR 1G ZIPLOCK BAG FOR LIQUIDS)

RAZOR-FRESH
TOOTH PASTE
TOOTH BRUSH
COMBO BODYWASH/SHAMPOO/SHAVE CREAM
HAIR PRODUCT
DEODORANT

Last edited:
Eastern Europe? Black. Maybe jeans. I wore a black leather jacket, jeans, a black sweater or button down and black shoes. I was often mistaken for a local, although a it's true a good part of my ancestry is from that area. Also, learn to say "Please", "Thank you", and "I'm so sorry, I don't speak (fill in language), but can you help me?" 99% of the time, people are more than happy to help if you show respect for them and their country. The other 1%, run.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ultimately, it's far more important to avoid behaving like a tourist than looking like one. There is no way a big, tall white guy will "blend in" like a local in Japan, Hong Kong, the Philippines, &c.

Focus on making friends rather than blending into the crowd, and it won't matter that you stick out like a sore thumb with your shorts and NFL-team-t-shirt.

Also, learn to say "Please", "Thank you", and "I'm so sorry, I don't speak (fill in language), but can you help me?" 99% of the time, people are more than happy to help if you show respect for them and their country. The other 1%, run.

Dean Martin agrees ...

Last edited by a moderator:
No white or crazy sneakers
No baseball hats
No money belts
Avoid shorts
Avoid backpacks

Comfortable leather shoes
Dark socks
A light jacket with an inner pocket
A friendly attitude!

This is what I took last time I went to Germany for 2 weeks, in late september 3 years ago for Oktoberfest
2 pair khaki pants
1 pair black pants
2 pair black leather shoes (dr scholls dress shoes from walmart)
1 black leather belt
3 long sleeve button up shirts (light blue, light green, and white)
6 pair underwear 4 pair socks (black) and 3 white Tshirts
1 plain navy blue wool long sleeve sweater
1 unlined dark brown leather jacket
travel hygeine kit

I didn't feel the least bit out of place. I found I needed the sweater only once and only wore the jacket twice. Everything fit nicely in a small carry on bag except the jacket which I wore on the plane. If you will be on the coast or at sea I would suggest a jacket capable of keeping you warm and dry. Also if you are on a cruise ship usually you will have a captains dinner which will require a coat and tie. I tend to keep it light and wash clothes at the hotel rather than pack a ton of stuff have to go through the hassle of checking a bag only to have the airline lose it.

Have fun! September and October is a great time to visit Europe because schools are back in session, so most cities will not be busy.
True for September, less for October (Herbstferien). But still less busy than in summer indeed.

About cargo pants; I love them for a walking trip, but I would feel out of place in an inner city. Shorts only on a very hot day maybe, but I would prefer thin summer pants then. No flip-flops!! When I see a guy walking on those, ten to one he's an American tourist.

Given what I hear about service in American restaurants and shops; expect Germany to be very different. The general attitude is that you approach the shop attendants when you have a question, instead of them greeting you and asking whether they can help you.

Enjoy! Germany is a wonderful country.

Late to respond, but appreciate the input. I'm pushing toward the "professor" approach, and probably buying a pair of these: http://shop.bluffworks.com/collections/featured/products/wrinkle-free-pants-khaki to maybe get some more. Well reviewed, look good, but a breathable easy to wash and dry fabric. Looking to avoid obvious brand labels on coats, etc. Still need to try and figure out shoes, as I was trying to find some holy grail of 1) Versatile looking, 2) comfortable, 3) waterproof.

As far as fitting in, I am short and "mediterranean" looking, you know the guy who has a 5 o'clock shadow at 11 AM. I should do OK in Eastern Europe.

I've been to Germany last winter for Christmas markets and excursions to France, Switzerland and Austria, and liked it there. We're going to Volksfest in Stuttgart rather than the big Oktoberfest in Munich...we're going to be just outside Stuttgart. Then on to Istanbul for a couple days before the cruise.

Top Bottom