What's new

The rumors are true about our new.

I can't wait for this - seriously, is there a better aftershave than Captain's Choice? There are others that are top quality and sure come close, but these aftershaves are just so good!

I can't wait to try the Sandalwood. Keep up the good work Captain Scott!

When I first opened the vial up I got a nice whiff of a sweet woodsy scent. I happily shoved it in SWMBO’s face and asked her to smell. She immediately went “Oooh!”.
Happy that I got something she liked I happily rushed off to shave. I went through my normal routine and then the time came…I splashed it on expecting that patented Captain Burn…it wasn’t there.
What was there was a nice low key burn and a feeling of comfort.
Try number two:
This morning I decided to go full Sandalwood. Started with my bowl of Proraso red, had a nice shave and then splashed on the aftershave. Nice burn, great smell. As it dried down the sweetness of the scent came out, and then it faded leaving a nice trace of straight Sandalwood. It reminded me of wood shop and burning driftwood in a bonfire. My wife continued to smell it all day, which is a feat with my chemistry. My daughter proclaimed that it was “amazing”
Overall, it’s a straight forward masculine scent. It has a great face feel, lasting scent and continues to impress me 9 hours later.
Overall verdict: When it’s released it will be my go to Sandalwood. I highly recommend everyone do the same.
Thumbs up from SWMBO, my 5 year old and me. Great job Captain!

D

Deleted member 48987

I had a chance to try the new Sandalwood offering from Captain's Choice and I think it is a winner. It goes on with a good amount of burn, typical of CC aftershaves. The moisturization is also good, not too little and not too much. I really like this sandalwood scent. It smells woody, a little spicy, and a little sweet. To me it is a more authentic take on sandalwood. I would say the strength of the scent is normal. I personally like strong scents but I know they're not for everybody. My only suggestion would be to consider making it a little stronger if that seems to be the consensus among testers.

Time for my review as I was one of the lucky ones to get a sample :thumbup:

1) Scent: The first thing I noticed was the AS doesn't smell like any other sandalwood I've smelled before. That is neither a good or bad observation, it's just a bit different. Personally, I like the scent. I asked my wife what she thought and she stated the smell is "spicy"; I'll agree with that. It's so hard to describe a smell and everyone will experience them differently, but I would recommend this AS based on scent.

2) Scent longevity: To my nose the scent did not last a long time (around 10ish minutes), but my wife stated she was still catching whiffs of the AS 30-45 minutes after I applied it.

3) Topical application: The AS had the nice burn one associates with an alcohol AS. On a scale of 1 - 10, I'd say the burn was around a 7. Personally I like an after shave burn so I'll also recommend this AS based on that.

4)Moisturizing: Out of 10, I would put the moisturizing properties of this AS at around a 7. It did a decent job but there are a few AS I've used that do a better job in this category. Over all though, it performed just fine.

My overall impression of Captain's Choice Sandalwood AS is that it is a quality product and it would be wise to pick up a bottle when it becomes available. This AS falls in line with the other Captain's Choice offerings, meaning it is a quality product and I'm sure it will be available at a very reasonable price.

Shave on my friends, shave on.

Ok, my review of The Captain's Sandalwood-
Got the Sandalwood sample and I have to admit I shook it up, opened it and took a whiff. I then felt compelled to splash some on. It smells really nice. And my personal opinion, he nailed it. This is really outstanding stuff. I've always said I'm not a frag guy, but I know what I like.

I tried the Captain's Sandalwood following a great shave and it had all the typical moisturizing properties of Captain's product and when splashed on it has a unique, woody, manly scent. It had a nice burn, typical again of Captain's products. I feel it's truly unique in it's properties and also unique in that it is straight-up woodsy sandalwood scent that mellows out and has the perfect strength once it had dried down. The scent longevity was very nice, it went on smooth, mellowed out, then caught whiffs of it throughout the day.

I had my wife smell- she liked and she is not a scent person at all. So,that's a great endorsement.

This will likely take over Co9T as my go-to, And that's saying a lot. But as far as scent goes, this one is a huge winner. Very nicely done.

Thanks for including me. I appreciate being a part of the testers and being able to not only sample it first, but provide input on the initial product offering.

In summary, my opinion of testing the product- Don't change a thing.

Cheers and congrats, this is great stuff. It earns a spot with my other Captain's products as my go-to A/S.

Last edited:
It sounds like this aftershave will make it onto my wish list. I've got a couple dozen aftershaves in the cupboard, but only two that I reach for often, Speick ASL and Captain's Choice Lime AS. Reading your reviews, the Captain's Choice Sandalwood seems to check all of the boxes I look for. I don't like menthol, and I haven't read any comments saying that it is an ingredient. I find Captain's Choice Lime Is moisturizing and I like how it leaves my face feeling. I would expect this to feel the same. I also look for a pleasant but mild scent. I wear a fragrance daily and don't want my aftershave to overpower it. I'd like to hear from those who've tried it while wearing cologne to see if it faded enough to allow it.

To to those who haven tried Captain's Choice aftershaves, I recommend picking up a sample. Once you've experienced a true high-end aftershave, you'll never want to finish a shave any other way.

After only 2 months of getting into this wet shaving I am honored to try this out
Received it on Fri- waiting for me after work.
Opened it up & at 1st whiff noticed fantastic smell of woodsy spice, even my wife said Wow.
Shaved the next morning & eagerly grabbed the vial, gave it a shake a splashed some on, great sting & immediately noticed the aroma of earthy woods scent.
The whole family piled into the car & headed out, after the 2 hr drive to St Louis & all day shopping with my daughter for school clothes you could smell this wonderful scent.
Got home later that evening & the scent was still lingering,face felt fantastic & smooth.
This morning got up & amazingly my wife commented that she still could lightly smell that wonderful smell
Don't change a thing- Can't wait to get a full bottle. Even though I will be using this tester for a while

Captain has indicated there are several steps left in production before he releases the first batch. Plans to release in a couple months, in time for Christmas.

Fall will be a great time for this scent.

I just want to say "Wow" it is refreshingly simple. Clean sweet spicy wood. I would buy this.

The Face feel is fine, not at all sticky.
The scent last 45 mins to an hour, right out of the shower. Refresher sprays through out the day don't seam to last as long for me. The projection is intimate.

The Soap
The texture was like the Italian croaps. But wow the lather just explodes. Best non tallow soap I've used. Very slick and protective.
However the soap didn't smell of sandalwood at all to me. It had more of a faint Pimenta racemosa (bay) oil smell. Still very impressive.

It was an honor to try this out thank you so much.

Last edited:
I just want to say "Wow" it is refreshingly simple. Clean sweet spicy wood. I would buy this.

The Face feel is fine, not at all sticky.
The scent last 45 mins to an hour, right out of the shower. Refresher sprays through out the day don't seam to last as long for me. The projection is intimate.

The Soap
The texture was like the Italian croaps. But wow the lather just explodes. Best non tallow soap I've used. Very slick and protective.
However the soap didn't smell of sandalwood at all to me. It had more of a faint Pimenta racemosa (bay) oil smell. Still very impressive.

It was an honor to try this out thank you so much.
Are you referring to the soap sample that captain provided with the AS? I believe that was the RazoRock Captains Choice Bay Rum which would explain the bay scent you got.

Are you referring to the soap sample that captain provided with the AS? I believe that was the RazoRock Captains Choice Bay Rum which would explain the bay scent you got.
Thanks I didn't realize that but Wow it was a wonderful soap and I love bay rum. RazoRock. I just might have to look into that. I've been using a brick of cella for loooong time now.
The sample soap was WONDERFUL !! And I really enjoyed the aftershave .

Last edited:
Wow it was a wonderful soap and I love bay rum. Wow RazoRock. I just might have to look into that. I've been using a brick of cella for loooong time now.
The sample soap was WONDERFUL !!
RazoRock soaps are fantastic, that is all I use for the time being. Lather does really explode from the brush. I'm not big on bay rum but the other scents are great. I recommend the argan oil or tallow formulations.

But we are all here for Captains Choice so I'll finish with I am still anxiously waiting on the release even though we still have a little while before its available.

Ok, im a die hard sandalwood fan and I was dying to try this. The smell is a lighter woody sandalwood smell. If you are expecting something like the AOS sandalwood, you will be disappointed. The aftershave is like all of the Captains products. Your face will feel fantastic after using it, guaranteed. I really enjoy this aftershave but I would appreciate a little stronger smelling scent. I think this scent is a little woodier then the truefitt and hill sandalwood (my favorite). I think this has potential to be one of the best aftershaves in this scent. Make it a little stronger and a little longer lasting and I might never have to purchase any other aftershave again! Great work Scott.

Ok, im a die hard sandalwood fan and I was dying to try this. The smell is a lighter woody sandalwood smell. If you are expecting something like the AOS sandalwood, you will be disappointed. The aftershave is like all of the Captains products. Your face will feel fantastic after using it, guaranteed. I really enjoy this aftershave but I would appreciate a little stronger smelling scent. I think this scent is a little woodier then the truefitt and hill sandalwood (my favorite). I think this has potential to be one of the best aftershaves in this scent. Make it a little stronger and a little longer lasting and I might never have to purchase any other aftershave again! Great work Scott.

I think ink this review is spot on. I was lucky to get a bottle. I used it to finish off a shave with HTGAM Chocolate Bourbon. It matched very well. Sandalwood is one of those scents that you never know if it is going to be strong woodsy/slightly bitter or on the sweet side. At least to my nose. For CC it is a light woodsy scent. The scent is not that strong, while my wife could smell it on me and liked it, I could not sense a strong olfactory explosion. That said, this allows me to use it for work and in other situations that I do not want scents to clash. As always with CC, my face felt great. Amazing products and again, I am thankful for the opportunity to try the sandalwood.

On another note, I also received a sample of North. From the description I didn't think I would do like it. However, I know will be buying a bottle. Great scent.

can anyone say if this smells like the prosaro red? i really like sandlewood but i dont like that one. to me the red smells like mildew.

Top Bottom