What's new

Geofatboy

What initially got me into SE shaving (and wet shaving all together) was Geofatboy's YouTube video on the GEM 1912. Since I joined B&B, I've heard many people attest to how he is a wet shaving sage, however I haven't yet seen anyone reference his store, ShaveNation.com. My first shaving purchase was through them, and I had a great experience. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on why his business isn't one of the more popular ones here. Thoughts?

I enjoy his videos. I've never shopped at his store though, not sure why. Maybe someone will clear the runways on this one.

I don't know how much a "sage" he really is. He thinks the Feather Stainless is fairly aggressive and he doesn't switch hands when shaving different areas of his face :laugh:.

Last edited:
I really don't know how much a "sage" he really is. He thinks the Feather Stainless is fairly agressive and he doesn't switch hands when shaving different areas of his face :laugh:.

Maybe it is in his opinion, maybe he meant efficient? You know, when someone has good technique a very mild razor can be very efficient too.
As for switching hands, I don't do it either, and it works perfectly fine. YMMV.
As mentioned already, his R41 videos say it all, that nobody can argue against. No blood loss there.

Some good replies so far. I will agree that some of his prices are rather high in comparison to other vendors, especially those that work directly with B&B, however I'm not sure I'm comfortable saying that's a general rule for his entire stock. I think I got some decent deals.

Regarding jazzguy's thoughts on preferring to buy from companies that support the forum, I can definitely agree with that. I, too, will probably continue shopping WCS and others mentioned here before returning to SN, however they definitely aren't out of the running.

One thing that seemed to stand out about doing business with SN is that with my purchase, I recieved a hand written thank you note. I wouldn't say that is reason enough to not look elsewhere, or even that it's enough to guarantee my future business, however it does say something about the company. I haven't yet had reason to deal with them verbally, but if they handle the rest of their affairs with the same care that went into my dealings with them, I imagine they'd be very accommodating.

Lastly, although "sage" may have been taking it a little far, I'm surprised to see that there are doubts about his knowledge. I haven't personally watched all that many of his videos, but I had come to the conclusion that most members here thought rather highly of his input and instructionals. I suppose, though, that rarely does everyone unanimously agree with any one viewpoint, so to assume that all who have seen him are of the same mindset may have been unreasonable.

Some good replies so far. I will agree that some of his prices are rather high in comparison to other vendors, especially those that work directly with B&B, however I'm not sure I'm comfortable saying that's a general rule for his entire stock. I think I got some decent deals.

Regarding jazzguy's thoughts on preferring to buy from companies that support the forum, I can definitely agree with that. I, too, will probably continue shopping WCS and others mentioned here before returning to SN, however they definitely aren't out of the running.

One thing that seemed to stand out about doing business with SN is that with my purchase, I recieved a hand written thank you note. I wouldn't say that is reason enough to not look elsewhere, or even that it's enough to guarantee my future business, however it does say something about the company. I haven't yet had reason to deal with them verbally, but if they handle the rest of their affairs with the same care that went into my dealings with them, I imagine they'd be very accommodating.

Lastly, although "sage" may have been taking it a little far, I'm surprised to see that there are doubts about his knowledge. I haven't personally watched all that many of his videos, but I had come to the conclusion that most members here thought rather highly of his input and instructionals. I suppose, though, that rarely does everyone unanimously agree with any one viewpoint, so to assume that all who have seen him are of the same mindset may have been unreasonable.

Maggard writes notes with every order as does WCS. As was already said, the site is more expensive than every other site members here usually use and happilly support.

I've been buying from Geo for over 4 years. I think he's one of the best vendors and most knowledgeable shaving enthusiast in the business. This man has taught thousands of gents how to shave...for those who say he does not support this forum, I say NAY lol. Just because you don't see him on B&B doesn't mean he does not support us. If you look at his "top 10 reasons to use a straight razor" video, he encourages all wet shavers to join a forum. As far as his prices go...I don't think they are THAT high because some may be comparing his prices to the "LOWEST PRICES" they've seen...he is well aware of his prices compared to the rest of the market but may not be able to provide the lowest prices as some other venders do (for whatever reason). I think he is a BIG asset to the shaving community. He's a stand-up guy, a family man...and this is his hobby...just like US. He gets 2-thumbs-up from me!

I've been buying from Geo for over 4 years. I think he's one of the best vendors and most knowledgeable shaving enthusiast in the business. This man has taught thousands of gents how to shave...for those who say he does not support this forum, I say NAY lol. Just because you don't see him on B&B doesn't mean he does not support us. If you look at his "top 10 reasons to use a straight razor" video, he encourages all wet shavers to join a forum. As far as his prices go...I don't think they are THAT high because some may be comparing his prices to the "LOWEST PRICES" they've seen...he is well aware of his prices compared to the rest of the market but may not be able to provide the lowest prices as some other venders do (for whatever reason). I think he is a BIG asset to the shaving community. He's a stand-up guy, a family man...and this is his hobby...just like US. He gets 2-thumbs-up from me!

Shave Nation has been open for 4 years?

Top Bottom