What's new

Who uses Massdrop.com?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just completed my first order on Massdrop.com
Says I won't be charged till the group buy ends and at the lowest price.

So does that mean if I bought at $50 and before the end it gets to $40 I'll be charged $40?

What else do I need to know? I'm sure it's a legit place but do you all like it and what type of experiences have you all had? good? bad?

Yes.

More information in the links below.

Here are the links to the FAQs and How It Works pages for Massdrop. If you have a question about how Massdrop works or what it is, read the links first because your answer can probably be found there.

https://www.massdrop.com/faq

https://www.massdrop.com/how-it-works

I'm not affiliated with Massdrop and am not a participant in either of these two drops so whether or not you join these drops won't affect me personally. I'm just a happy customer who has participated in 15 different drops/group buys at Massdrop without an issue and thought all you Nib bums could use some more enabling.

You can use PayPal as a payment method so you have an extra level of protection.

I think it's a great website for stuff I didn't know even existed. I had a chance to talk to one of the founder a few weeks ago.

I cannot comment on the charging system. If you do a commit instead of a purchase I know that it will only charge if they hit that goal. If you do the purchase you are paying the amount listed (Although from what I remember from my research) they will charge whatever the lowest price they got to, if you do purchase instead of just commit. I have always either done the commit or come into the purchase after they had already reached the lowest price.

As for the only warning, is to make sure you read the discussions on the items, as some times you can find the item cheaper elsewhere. So just make sure to check prior to committing to it. Otherwise I have had good luck with the couple of purchases I have made from them.... Sometimes the waiting is torture, since you have to wait for the drop to finish and then for the vendor to ship to them (usually) and then have them split it and reship. :001_smile

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yes.

More information in the links below.

I think it's a great website for stuff I didn't know even existed. I had a chance to talk to one of the founder a few weeks ago.

Thanks! You've used it 15 times and have had 15 great experiences?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I cannot comment on the charging system. If you do a commit instead of a purchase I know that it will only charge if they hit that goal. If you do the purchase you are paying the amount listed (Although from what I remember from my research) they will charge whatever the lowest price they got to, if you do purchase instead of just commit. I have always either done the commit or come into the purchase after they had already reached the lowest price.

As for the only warning, is to make sure you read the discussions on the items, as some times you can find the item cheaper elsewhere. So just make sure to check prior to committing to it. Otherwise I have had good luck with the couple of purchases I have made from them.... Sometimes the waiting is torture, since you have to wait for the drop to finish and then for the vendor to ship to them (usually) and then have them split it and reship. :001_smile

I was just reading that it could take up to 3 weeks after the end of the drop for the product to arrive to me. I just figure at the price I'm paying it's worth the wait. I don't typically order anything I need right away.

Thanks! You've used it 15 times and have had 15 great experiences?

I've used it 22 times and have had 22 good experiences. I didn't like some of the items but that's not Massdrop's fault. I've had two issues that I can remember that were resolved by customer support.

I had an issue with a Colibri lighter. I contacted support and they sent me a return label to ship it back to them. They didn't have any replacements in stock so they issued me a refund.

I ordered the ErgoDox kit. One of the layers of acrylic had a piece broken in transit. I contacted support and they sent me a new piece.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've used it 22 times and have had 22 good experiences. I didn't like some of the items but that's not Massdrop's fault. I've had two issues that I can remember that were resolved by customer support.

I had an issue with a Colibri lighter. I contacted support and they sent me a return label to ship it back to them. They didn't have any replacements in stock so they issued me a refund.

I ordered the ErgoDox kit. One of the layers of acrylic had a piece broken in transit. I contacted support and they sent me a new piece.

Good to hear!

I just ordered the Keysmart deal. I joined.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/keysmart20?s=keysmart

I used it for a Simpson brush drop. I was pleased with the brush, pleased with the price, and pleased with the service. Since they don't place the order until the drop is finished, there is a delay between purchase and delivery. They kept me pretty well-informed of the progress.

I've bought a handful of times and been very happy. Sometimes it can take awhile for shipment, but that's about the worst thing I can say.

I haven't used massdrop yet. However, my daughter-in-law bought a UBS hub from them. It took close to a month from the time she joined the drop until it ended and another few weeks before she got it. The price was fine - but she could have gotten the same item on Amazon for only 2% more and she would have had the product six weeks earlier. The lesson: check prices carefully before you join the drop and if it succeeds be prepared to wait.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
from this thread and other sources the only concerns seem to be delivery time. And checking prices to make sure it's an actual deal.

If those are the only issues I can live with that. I'm not opposed to waiting for something if I got a better deal than anywhere else.

I've bought the Feather AS-D2, the Simpson Chubby 2, a Chicago comb, and a Bug-a-Salt gun. I always just "commit" to the lowest price but I believe they leave the drop open until they hit the desired number. They're great unless you have to absolutely need it now. If you can wait, up to 8 weeks for the Feather, they're great!

I have signed up and voted on certain razors. How do you get notified the razors are available to buy?

Take care,
Jason

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yes - they send several emails per week.
I guess a few per week could be considered flooding.

I havent gotten any emails yet.

And not sure if they notify when the items you voted on are ready to buy.

I get about 5 a week. It isn't complete spam as they are notifying you of group buys. The problem is that I can't figure out how to tailor the notifications to my interest.

Top Bottom