What's new

Looking for a new DE razor.possibly

Okay guys, as I mentioned in my earlier thread, I am very seriously considering a new DE razor. I currently have a Lord L6, which I enjoy, but it doesn't give me as close of a shave as I would like. I have been using Gillete 7-0 clock green box blades and Feather blades (prefer these). I would like to upgrade the razor and have considered the EJ DE89 based on a lot of reviews I have read from this site as well as others. Any suggestions? TIA

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. The EJ DE89 is as good a razor as you can find, and prettier than most. If you want a medium razor on the aggression spectrum, it would be hard to beat an EJ.

Last edited:
Welcome! I would second XXvaleria's sentiment, but I would also add maybe have a look at some vintage razors both here and on the bay. The EJ DE89 is a great, smooth shave, but either pay attention to the BST here or look for a vintage razor if you're looking to save some cash.

Gillette Techs are pretty solid for beginners (and vets alike), if you are in need of a vintage hint.

Welcome aboard. This a great Forum with lots of experienced shavers. Enjoy yourself, whatever razor you buy.

L6 is quite similar to DE89. It will be some kind of upgrade in quality but quite the same shave.

A vintage Gillette NEW could be a good next step unless you are brave enough to jump on R41. R41 will give the closest possible shave but not everybody like it.

Welcome to the B&B Forums pitchintense! I'll second what xxvaleria mentions about the Edwin Jagger DE89. I have a EJ DE89L and enjoy shaving with it very much. You can't go wrong with a EJ at all.

I have been reviewing numerous options and the EJ DE89 seems to be a safe choice to go to next. I'm not sure I am ready for an open comb yet, but I will keep an eye out for a Gillette NEW for sure. In about a week, my EJ DE89 Barley should be in along with RR Brain Freeze soap and an Escali 100% Pure Badger shave brush. Needless to say, I'm ready for next week to be here.

I have been reviewing numerous options and the EJ DE89 seems to be a safe choice to go to next. I'm not sure I am ready for an open comb yet, but I will keep an eye out for a Gillette NEW for sure. In about a week, my EJ DE89 Barley should be in along with RR Brain Freeze soap and an Escali 100% Pure Badger shave brush. Needless to say, I'm ready for next week to be here.
I just want to point out that open comb is not more difficult to use than safety bar razors. As long as King Gillette ruled over Gillette they made only open comb razors. When he stepped away Gillette (the company) decided to maximize the profit by making more cheap razors. That is how the safety bar came.

Thanks for the heads up. I still have a lot to learn, but even so I believe the EJ DE89 will be a good investment. Knowing myself, I will eventually go for something similar to the R41 or another open comb.

Top Bottom