What's new

Shoe Tree Suggestions?

As discussed in one of my other threads, I just bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Hillcrests. Is there a particular brand of shoe trees that is considered better? I definitely want them to be cedar, but beyond that, I have no idea what to look for.

Cedar or birch* are good, beyond that, it's really just finding the cheapest one that fits the shoe well. Allen Edmond's sells shoe trees, however, to my knowledge they are just regular Woodlore trees that have been re-branded. You can get them fairly cheap on Amazon. Just use Allen Edmonds' sizing guide and buy the appropriate size. For you I think it borderlines between XL and XXL:

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds...bs_shoe_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S7S1RN9G0TB7QFCKKM2

If you want them even cheaper, Jos. A. Bank usually has sales on shoe care stuff, including shoe trees, multiple times a year. You can get trees equivalent to the above for as cheap as $8

*Cedar is the mainstream shoe tree material, but birch is just as effective. The main functions of the tree is to 1.) Keep the form of the shoe and 2.) Absorb moisture. Birch does this just as admirably as cedar. Cedar leaves a nice smell but the oils can degrade wool and other materials. Contrary to popular belief, cedar isn't better because it absorbs odors or anything. If your shoes stink, you need to dry them out and rotate them more, not mask the smell.

First, go wood. Second, make sure the tree will fit the shoe. Tried ordering from an online company (who will go un-named) and the rep didn't know anything about shoe sizes! Went to my shoe store instead. JAB is a good idea; I would take my shoes with me to be sure they fit.

Allen Edmonds shoe trees are good. Woodlore is the same as AE, just branded differently. AE owns Woodlore I believe. Nordstrom shoe trees are also the same. I like this style because of the low instep:

as compared to some of these (which I also have) that have a high instep:

It depends on the shape of your foot. I have a low instep, show the first pair above works better for me because it can fit in the shoe without stretching the instep area.

Definitely go cedar. I have not tried plastic ones and see no reason to try them. The only other piece of advice I can give is to be careful not to get a pair that is too large. I'm an 11.5D to 12D on the Brannock device, and I'm right on the verge of what most manufacturer's consider Large to X-Large when it comes to shoe trees. I always get the split designs above so there is some adjustment to the width, but I don't find that it's absolutely necessary to fill up the entire volume of the shoe with a shoe tree. You just need for it to hold the natural shape of the shoe so that you are maintaining that shape. In fact, a little air space in there is probably not a bad thing. I started out with some X-Large ones and decided that they are if anything a little big. I've sanded those down a bit and they work a little better, but since I've stuck to ordering Large sizes in the first model above so that I get good support without stretching the shoe out.

I'd say pay attention to the manufacturer's recommendation on sizing, and if you are on the edge of a size range like I am, go down rather than up in size.

Ben

Excellent, I'll have to check JAB and watch for one of their sales.

If a pair of shoes isn't being worn regularly, is not having trees in them while I wait for a JAB sale to pop up going to hurt them? If so, I don't mind paying full price for something like that to keep the shoes in good condition.

Excellent, I'll have to check JAB and watch for one of their sales.

If a pair of shoes isn't being worn regularly, is not having trees in them while I wait for a JAB sale to pop up going to hurt them? If so, I don't mind paying full price for something like that to keep the shoes in good condition.

If you're worried about shape, the cheap thing to do is stuff them with newspaper. You know how new shoes come with paper inside, to fill out the shape while they're being stored prior to sale? Same idea. Also good idea for traveling if you don't bring trees with you.

I buy lasted shoe trees whenever I have the option. More expensive but they help the shoe keep its original shape. So in your case, I'd simply pick up a pair of AE shoe trees.

If you're worried about shape, the cheap thing to do is stuff them with newspaper. [...] Also good idea for traveling if you don't bring trees with you.

When I'm traveling I stuff them with socks and rolled up underwear. Carryons equals good, so smaller is better for me anyway.

Maybe it is because of the small size I wear, but my AE shoe trees seem to go in a lot easier than the Nordstrom or JAB trees I have. Probably less of an issue for people with normal sizes.

Cedar or birch* are good, beyond that, it's really just finding the cheapest one that fits the shoe well. Allen Edmond's sells shoe trees, however, to my knowledge they are just regular Woodlore trees that have been re-branded. You can get them fairly cheap on Amazon. Just use Allen Edmonds' sizing guide and buy the appropriate size. For you I think it borderlines between XL and XXL:

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds...bs_shoe_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S7S1RN9G0TB7QFCKKM2

If you want them even cheaper, Jos. A. Bank usually has sales on shoe care stuff, including shoe trees, multiple times a year. You can get trees equivalent to the above for as cheap as $8

*Cedar is the mainstream shoe tree material, but birch is just as effective. The main functions of the tree is to 1.) Keep the form of the shoe and 2.) Absorb moisture. Birch does this just as admirably as cedar. Cedar leaves a nice smell but the oils can degrade wool and other materials. Contrary to popular belief, cedar isn't better because it absorbs odors or anything. If your shoes stink, you need to dry them out and rotate them more, not mask the smell.

Thanks for the link! I ordered these today long with the travel size Allen Edmonds shoe care kit.

My cobbler recommends plastic adjustable shoe trees. He believes that the only real function is shape reinforcement, especially the reduction of toe-curl and the mid-vamp wrinkling/creasing. I trust him with my shoes and have been buying plastic for the last few years. Either way I believe shoe trees are a must if you are committed to maintain your investment in quality shoes. I have a pair of Nettleton's I brought at Goldwater's in Phoenix around 30 years ago that still look and wear great. Yes, they have been resoled more than once and I use a shoe horn when I put them on, but I have kept them polished and in trees since the day I first purchased them.

I picked mine up from Nordstrom rack for 15 each. At that price I just bought one for every pair of dress shoes I own. AE owns woodlore I believe, and the ones from rack are the slightly damaged one from the looks of it. I had to pick around a bit to find some that didn't have chunks missing but I eventually found them.

Top Bottom